.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

Truper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: And another thing...

In Dom1, archers and Blackhawks only decimated naked mages. A little armor, a couple bodyguards, and the problem was solved. If you wanted to use mages on the battlefield, you needed to put some thought into protecting them. Have you ever seen anyone forge, say, a weightless scale mail in Dom2? My guess would be no, since there is no need for what that item was intended as: a cheap way to give a mage some protection.

One of the reasons that battlefield magic dominates the game to the extent that very hard research has become popular is that mages can't be attacked. Tactics like Skeleton Spam drive me insane. Suppose you expect to face a group of Sauromancers. You have a substantial group of cavalry, so you deploy them on a flank, and order them to attack rear. What will happen? The cavalry will move forward, then madly ride around the battlefield slaughtering the Skeletons which can't really hurt them, until eventually they become exhausted and overwhelmed. Even if their mad spree of bone-smashing happens to bring them near a Sauromancer, will they put a lance through its black heart? No! Troops will attack anything *but* mages, unless there is nothing but mages left on the battlefield.

Something that might perhaps be done about this is to give troops a better sense of what the real threat is. If a knight in shining armor was 3 squares away from a Skeleton in one direction, and 3 squares from a Sauromancer in another, it would be awfully nice if he'd attack the Sauromancer. I have no idea if this could be done.
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:30 AM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

so, if you were a night would you attack
A: the undead warrior with a broadsword
or B: the old lizard man weilding a stick shouting crazy words.

but i think it should be easier to attack mages aswell, just not very easy. and if you have ever faced falshe horror spam + skeleton spam it is far worse than one at a time (especially if he has relief casters) since the horrors can fly and hold you up until he drowns you in a horde of skele spammage death.
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Sergeant

GriffinOfBuerrig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
shovah said:
so, if you were a night would you attack
A: the undead warrior with a broadsword
or B: the old lizard man weilding a stick shouting crazy words.

Both are not option i would be happy to meet at night
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Colonel

good point but me thinkys that the skeleton would be my priority (if i didnt know the lizard man could summon 5 in the time i kill 1 or 2)
Old October 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Truper said:
Have you ever seen anyone forge, say, a weightless scale mail in Dom2? My guess would be no, since there is no need for what that item was intended as: a cheap way to give a mage some protection.
I'd rather not have to go through the massive micromanagement that would cause for the lack of truly effective protection that it would provide.
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Colonel

thing is if mages could be targetted they would all spend ages buffing themselves (luck, mist form, invunrability ect) even though i buff anyway and scripting them like this would require even more micro manegement
Old October 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Corporal

Bummer_Duck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
shovah said:
thing is if mages could be targetted they would all spend ages buffing themselves (luck, mist form, invunrability ect) even though i buff anyway and scripting them like this would require even more micro manegement
Not only that, but with a limited script, it makes it very difficult to buff, and cast more than a couple specific offensive spells.
Old October 9th, 2005, 10:23 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

i can't seem to get cntl-1 to work at all, what screen do you do it in? doesn't seem to work on the overland map, in the army select screen theres no way to select the commander.

sorry its a feature I haven't used in the past and I need more info on how it works (I can't get the quick tip to come up either)
Old October 9th, 2005, 11:22 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Do you mean ctrl-1 as in the commander order's save/load functionality? If so, go to the army screen (t) and point at the order scripting for a commander, ie: Quickness, False Horror x4. While pointing at this script, press ctrl-1 to save it. To give those orders to another commander, point at that commander's script and press 1.
Old October 10th, 2005, 12:33 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Truper said:
Have you ever seen anyone forge, say, a weightless scale mail in Dom2? My guess would be no, since there is no need for what that item was intended as: a cheap way to give a mage some protection.
Ask few of my opponents What do you do when you're on offensive later in the game? Opponents tend to open combats with RoS. How do you protect your mages? I find weightless scale mail is pretty good armor for this purpose. Depending on situation and gem availability it may be some other kind of armor (blue/red dragon scale mail or lightining resistant armor).