Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Nation guide: MA Atlantis - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nation guide: MA Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajero View Post
Lol, fair enough. Re Fog Warriors was just a comment for the Late game, obviously not an issue right now for me but it tends to be a very decissive spell in Late Game.

I acknowledged Atlantis have some good buffing troops spels etc as you rightly point out. I was complaining about:
a)the lack of death, blood and air. Will look into the Fairy Queen indeed, thanks.
b) Lack of obvious SC (no demons, tartarians) other than my own "thugged" mages and elemental royalty which are more useful as casters than combatants.
c)lack of mixed magic poths (pretender with no magic) to be able to produce the best artifacts.

So from your response I gather the way to go is strong buffed up armies rather than SC.
So, eventually you do get air access (Faerie Queens), so Fog Warriors does open up for you. (About the same time it will for most other nations, probably).

SCs are overrated. I've killed so many tarts... That said, if you empower a single W mage to D1, Streams from Hades lets you turn that into W3D3 mages by spending *water gems*. Then you can search your provinces for death sites, and start bootstrapping up to tarts. Is it ideal? Hardly. But 50d is a small price to pay to get started.

But really, you're a submarine, start sniping weak targets, make diplomatic agreements to secure your holdings and create new targets. You may never need to touch SCs. (But do have an idea of how to deal with them - you'll probably end up fighting someone's tarts or whatever. Of course, you have good thugs, and flambeaus only require fire gems =) ).

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Atlantis is actually a pretty good example of another theme that I wanted to emphasize, that you have to play the nation with the grain so to speak. Too often people expend a whole lot of effort trying to do things like get SCs, or line up astral mages, or cover whatever is lacking on a nation's roster. Don't get me wrong, its always nice when you can add options to your arsenal, but you'll often do better playing to your strengths rather than spending your effort trying to shoehorn into something that's never gonna be more than a sideline. Fog warriors? Meet acid storm. SCs? Meet teleporting anti-thugs. Playing Atlantis late game is about confounding your opponent and leaving them to choose between only bad options as they contemplate trying to fight you in and out of the water. As I wrote in the original piece play them like a battleship and you're gonna be disappointed because there are heavier hitters out there, but if you play to your advantages you're not going to have a hard time hitting your opponent where he's weak.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

How do you make acid storm work without slaughtering your own side as well?

I tried a little to use it playing EA Atlantis. If I just sent in a sacrificial caster, he'd get killed before it could do enough damage and I didn't want to use it with a significant force of my own on the field, since they'd get destroyed by it too.
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
How do you make acid storm work without slaughtering your own side as well?

I tried a little to use it playing EA Atlantis. If I just sent in a sacrificial caster, he'd get killed before it could do enough damage and I didn't want to use it with a significant force of my own on the field, since they'd get destroyed by it too.
Mass Regeneration ftw. Also, choose high hp units, like your war shamblers. And its only armor piercing, so high protection will help you. Ie, dropping AoG or similar will substantially reduce the damage you take down to levels manageable for mass regeneration (with your high base hp). Your opponent is unlikely to be so lucky, assuming he's dropping both mass regen + AoG or similar.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.