.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road
Default Barbarians Unified

Alright then. I'm not tech savvy in the least so hopefully I don't screw this up. If I do, have a good laugh on me and revel in your l33tness.

This is my very first mod. It's posted in my mod help thread but I'll remove that and put this here. The basic premise is that all those different barbarian and animal tribe indy's are now unified and playable. With some tweaking by me. This is a late age nation. And is not anywhere near done. Basically, I have the recruitable units where I want them (I think) and a new pretender. There is also a hero unit but I've never gotten him to appear, so I probably did something wrong there.

Also, the new pretender, (Revenant of Shardik) still has a purple shadow. I tried, I really did, and you can see a small black line in the shadow where I atleast got that to show up as shadow. Anyways, details:

Pros:
Cheap and numerous troops.
Several sacred units.
Great melee units.
Good mix of magic commanders.

Cons:
Not well armored for Late Age nation...at all.
Not that good of missile units.
No national summons (later update)
Only one hero who probably doesn't show up.

Now come the thank you's!
Thank you Sombre, Wish, Edi, Paradoxharbinger, Psientist, Foodstamp, Ballbarian, and Gandalf Parker for your fast and helpful replies to my oh-so-noobish questions throughout. You were all a great help. Special thanks to Foodstamp for your Haida Gwaii mod, which I used as a template for this one. It even has the Haida banner until I can make one of my own.
Special thanks to Ballbarian for the wonderous banner. Special thanks to Edi for his extensive Units and weapons DB. And special thanks to Sombre for the sweet graphics (he made the Bear pretender and the hero unit that may or may not show up- which is too bad because it looks awesome!) If this were the Oscars I would be played off the stage so I'll end once more with a thank you! All of this has inspired me to make even more mods in the future.

Haha! I did screw up. You may need to make a folder named Barbarians in the mods folder if you download this. I...am...retarded.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 511238-Barbarians.zip (118.1 KB, 1103 views)

Last edited by lch; August 25th, 2008 at 06:15 PM..
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New mod: Barbarians Unified

Hmm. I think you need a bit more practice putting zips together. Right now the file contains two versions of the mod - one that goes wherever you extract to, the other that goes into the barbarians subfolder.

A zip is attached which sorts out this problem and fixes up the bear pretender graphic too while I'm at it. Just to get you started.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 511245-Barbarians Unified v0.5.zip (11.0 KB, 544 views)
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Sergeant

LOL!! I told you, not tech savvy at all!!! You've saved my bacon once more Sombre.

I see myself as more of the developer and designer type of guy. I would certainly feel more at home letting other people actually create my ideas.
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:22 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

No problem. I just pixel-resized the bear to 200%, that avoids the blurring you get from smart sizing him - which was causing the shadow to no longer be 255 0 255 and thus it turned up as actual purple/pink.

Sadly in the world of modding good ideas rarely count for much on their own. Still, if you present a really interesting one maybe someone will adopt it like I did with the Ulm Reborn mod.
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sombre said:
Hmm. I think you need a bit more practice putting zips together. Right now the file contains two versions of the mod - one that goes wherever you extract to, the other that goes into the barbarians subfolder.

A zip is attached which sorts out this problem and fixes up the bear pretender graphic too while I'm at it. Just to get you started.
i feel extremely retarded having to say this but...

how do i install this mod? i cant seem to figure it out.

and by "cant seem to figure it out" i mean "i've put the mod into the mod folder, enabled the mod in the game, but then when i got to start a game i get an error message in a language i cant understand"

something about not being able to open haidaflag.tga
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Något Gick Fel is Swedish and means "something went wrong".
In the "barbarians.dm" text file, there's a line:

#flag "./haida/haidaflag.tga"

Which tells the program where to look for an image called "haidaflag.tga". Now it looks for it from the place where the original mod, Haida Gwaii (I hope I didn't butcher that) would put the file. You have to either install the original mod, or change the above line to:

#flag "./barbarians/haidaflag.tga"

The line is at the end of the barbarians.dm.
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Sergeant

Holy crap! You mean to tell me people have actually downloaded my sad little attempt at modding?!

It is woefully unfinished, I never could get the shadow right on the bear pretender Sombre made me and the units are simply grabbed from the game itself. About the only thing I like about it are my unit descriptions.

At one time I had a lot of ideas for this mod but RL has a way of taking over and now I'm reduced to forum lurking (Love the new mods going on too, by the way. This is easily one of the best modding communities I've ever seen).

So if anyone wants to take this over and totally redesign it as they see fit, it won't hurt my feelings at all.
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

haha yeah I downloaded it. I had always thought having all the barbarians together would have made a good nation.

while it might be a 'sad little attempt' i still found it interesting and it is still a world ahead of what i know how to mod... altho i'm fiddlin' around with stuff, learning how it all works out.
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road

BanderLover!! I may attempt this on my upcoming 4 day weekend! (woo!) I think I could 'sup up' the mod in a day.

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Sergeant

Juzza Please by all means do so!

If you like I can PM you the rest of my thoughts/ideas on what I wished to accomplish or I'll just let you go with it. Either way is cool with me.