The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 16th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Private

oli_chose123 is on a distinguished road
Default Request. Actually, more of a suggestion...

From what I've read, Aaron Hall read these forums sometimes. Since I don't have his email and he must already have a lot to read, I'll post it here.

I'm a big fan of Battlestar Galactica, and fell in love the first time I saw the jump drive in action. In SE4, star trek and star wars mods were created, but because of warp points, the universe never felt complete. I'm not necessrely asking for a new way to travel directly, but more of a way to edit sme parts of the game.

If we take the battlestar jumps, from how I see it, it would simply need a script and a new option in the right-click menu.

The ability to add something to the right click menu or a buton (or menu of butons) in the right down menu would be a great addition.

The second thing is the ability to script and affect ship status and/or position.

The way I see this kindg of jump, you actually select your ship, then right-click and select Jump. You then select the destination system and you jump. The destination sector would be random and, if you were on a planet's sector, you'd have a chance of crashing into it. If in a sector where an enemy fleet is waiting, you automatically engage.

I'm not asking to implement all of this new jump technology, but simply to implement the necessary things to make it work
in thi case, the menu addition ahd the ability to affect a ships position by scripts.

Post your thoughts here
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Request. Actually, more of a suggestion...

This has been a request for quite a while, at least since SEIII. Aaron just hasn't decided how he wants to put it in the game, I guess. But the ability to "jump", or go into hyperspace (the Star Wars variety, or the Babylon 5 variety) has been on wishlists of lots of people.

To get it in the game? Get enough people to email Aaron about it. He does peruse the boards, but AFAIK, he doesn't read every message. But he has responded to massed requests for features before. Although I (and many others) would prefer he concentrate on bugfixes, stabalizing the game, and improving UI. Jumps/Hyperspace would be a good thing to include in a "Gold" SEV rerelease in a year or so. Aaron's email: sev@malfador.com
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road

Well technically you can mod an effect similar to the BSG jump system; you can open a jump point and jump through it then close it. The range of the possible jump can be controlled and can go up in levels. Also if you really didn’t want players to leave the new warp points open from one turn to the next you could script a whole slew of clone events to close warp points. Now this is not the precise effect of the BSG jump drive; however other than having to close the warp point manually or with a scripted event, I really don’t see the difference.
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

My FTL map is pretty nifty.

Its got regular warppoints in a not-all connected quadrant, plus 12 warppoints at the edge of every system leading to hyperspace.
In hyperspace, one movement point is equal to one galaxy map square or 10 LY, so you can fly from system to system directly, or even jump from one side of a system to the other (takes 2 mp to go around - one to jump up to hyperspace, one back down to normal space)
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Private

Gusset is on a distinguished road

I've heard an argument against such a feature that actually makes some sense.

Basically, it's easier to formulate a more challenging AI with warp points. An AI can more easily recognize choke points at which to mass defenses, for instance.

I'd probably be willing to try it as an option in MP, with zero AI players, though it would need to be well defined and thought out in order to keep it from becoming some sort of un-answerable advantage for the attacker. SJ's layout sounds like a step in the right direction, since all "FTL" activity seems combined to the edges of a solar system.

Take my opinions for whatever they're worth.
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Private

Actually, AIs could defend planets instead of warp points. Of course it's tougher to protect, but, well, maybe it's more realistic(in a sence that, today, naval ships arrive from every side)

Suicie_Junkie: Any way of getting that map?
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Brigadier General

President_Elect_Shang is on a distinguished road

Just keep in mind SJ’s map is going to give you an effect much closer to B5 and hyperspace than BSG; which I thought is what you wanted.
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Private

Gusset is on a distinguished road

Quote:
oli_chose123 said:
Actually, AIs could defend planets instead of warp points. Of course it's tougher to protect
Exactly my point. The AI is already at a disadvantage against a thinking opponent, to begin with.

Again, I'd be willing to try it, but it seems to me that it gives the attacker a potentially decisive advantage, even in MP. In a simultaneous turns game, SE5's current movement order scheme makes it difficult enough to bring separately located fleets together in one turn for a concerted effort. It's easy to end up with individual small fleets attacking the enemy separately on a given turn, when you wanted to have them join and attack together. I can envision that FTL capability would simply exploit this.
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/other/.../SJsFTLmap.zip

AIs cannot play this map.
Note also that your captains are unable to plot multisystem courses as well. All orders need to be local to the system.

IE; instead of saying move to Tudran (5,3), you have to say move to the local warppoint, warp to Tudran, move to sector 5,3.
Slightly more work, but that's a small detail.
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:54 AM

Private

The map is really waht a babylon 5 mod should need. Quite interesting how you made it. thanks

Is there a way to make any scripts in game right now?(mostly SE5)

Will, the adress doesn't work. Maybe it's just because of Hotmail...