.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 18th, 2006, 05:54 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Siege Units

Quote:
NTJedi said:
Depends on what's available via modding in DOM_3. Ideally I hope Dominions_3 will have or allow via modding the ability to create unique siege engines for each nation.
How many times do people have to tell you that Dominions 2 already has that capability before you believe it?
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
How many times do people have to tell you that Dominions 2 already has that capability before you believe it?
Fate is asking for a unit to have a wide variation of siege effects to units inside a castle outside of battle which could include 'flames from the sky' as listed by Endoperez. I merely commented we'd have to see what new mod features will be available. Geeez

It wasn't even my suggestion this time!
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

Yes, the idea being put forth (by me,Fate, NOT NTJedi) is someting which (I believe) is not currently in the game. A special ability that allows a defender to fire X amount of arrows which hit a random enemy UNIT (not commander) and deal the damage of a normal arrow (could be based on their weapon).

I do not believe there is that capability currently, but, not having looked at the modding files, you never know...
Old April 19th, 2006, 03:41 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I doubt that kind of ability is added. In Dominions II, all modding that was available was editing the units' abilities and costs, and creating new units and adding existing abilities to them. Unless siege engines have been changed or some other creature/unit capable of hurting enemies in a besieged castle has been added, I doubt an ability like that can be modded in.
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

OG_Gleep is on a distinguished road

You guys do realize that with dragons and mages and stuff, none of the siege weapon effects have to be grounded in reality. We have a weapon that essentially does what one person already suggested. And btw wiki is a horrid source for information.
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM

General

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
You guys do realize that with dragons and mages and stuff, none of the siege weapon effects have to be grounded in reality. We have a weapon that essentially does what one person already suggested. And btw wiki is a horrid source for information.
Have you read all the posts in this topic???? If you have read all the posts I'd like to hear about the weapon you mention.
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

Valandil is on a distinguished road

I have done a mod that adds unique siege equipment to sevral sides. A ry'leh mind enslaver to get pathetic humans to open their gates, a c'tis poison trebuchet, a machaka web catapult, and a hoburg soup cannon (don't ask).
Immediate plans include ulmish ballistae, caelian battlefield lightning rods, and an enormous atlantian turtle. All of this is easy to encode in Dom2.

Old April 26th, 2006, 02:27 PM

General

Quote:
Valandil said:
I have done a mod that adds unique siege equipment to sevral sides. A ry'leh mind enslaver to get pathetic humans to open their gates, a c'tis poison trebuchet, a machaka web catapult, and a hoburg soup cannon (don't ask).
Immediate plans include ulmish ballistae, caelian battlefield lightning rods, and an enormous atlantian turtle. All of this is easy to encode in Dom2.
Very interesting mod... as mentioned earlier I would have started myself if Dominions_3 was not being released soon.

Perhaps others could add their ideas for what type of siege units should exist for each nation... so the community as a whole can agree on the final results.
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

Valandil is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the support. Of course, very little balancing work was done, and the graphics are only half finished. I kind of got bored. And yes, discussion would be interesting, if only in preparation for a mod. perhaps I'll place a thread eventually. I AM pretty lazy though.