.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 9th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Sergeant

revenant2 is on a distinguished road
Default AAR for BSoD

I don't know is interested, but I'm in the middle of writing an AAR from a newbie game called Blood, Astral, Or Death (BSoD) that some might find interesting. I'm only on turn 38 so far, but it's already over 100 pages. It's probably way too detailed and full of various strategic and tactical blunders (along with inevitable typos) to be used as any kind of guide, but it might be useful if you're a newbie and curious what it's like to play LA Ermor in a MP game.

I was going to wait until I was done writing the narrative, but at the rate I've been going, that's going to take awhile, i.e., as in a few more months.

http://devnada.wordpress.com/bsod/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to revenant2 For This Useful Post:
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:28 AM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AAR for BSoD

very nice
Old September 9th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Great!
A few comments on your AAR if I may:
Turn 1: Patrolling with LA Ermor on turn 1 looks useless to me. I usually pillage my capital. These people will die anyway. Patrolling is really only useful in that rich province of yours where you took care not to push your own dominion. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure how much you earn by pushing taxes high and letting your dominion kill people with regards to pillaging and getting more money (and less people) immediately.
Turn 3: Also, mindless units are perfectly good at tearing down walls. They do suck at repairing them, though.

Couldn't get past turn 20 for the moment.
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Corporal

jotwebe is on a distinguished road

Fun read!

Having fought LA Ermor a while ag as Abysia, it'll be interesting to see the Undead Menace from the inside. I like the transparent battle reports on your screenshots.
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiCesare View Post
Great!
A few comments on your AAR if I may:
Turn 1: Patrolling with LA Ermor on turn 1 looks useless to me. I usually pillage my capital. These people will die anyway. Patrolling is really only useful in that rich province of yours where you took care not to push your own dominion. I may be wrong, but I'm not sure how much you earn by pushing taxes high and letting your dominion kill people with regards to pillaging and getting more money (and less people) immediately.
Turn 3: Also, mindless units are perfectly good at tearing down walls. They do suck at repairing them, though.

Couldn't get past turn 20 for the moment.
I'm glad you like it.

I wouldn't recommend pillaging your home province on the first turn. There's still a high population, which is sensitive to unrest and can generate a decent amount of revenue for the first couple of turns. I actually ran a quick test where I pillaged the first turn instead of patrolling and after 5-turns the pillage strategy generated 896 gold while the patrolling one generated 1,304.

Great point about tearing down the walls. I had assumed that mindless were at 10% strength for repairing walls AND reducing them. There's always something new to learn in this game
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotwebe View Post
Fun read!

Having fought LA Ermor a while ag as Abysia, it'll be interesting to see the Undead Menace from the inside. I like the transparent battle reports on your screenshots.
Thanks. You'll find the next several turns interesting then. However, it will take me a few days to post them.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:39 AM

Corporal

jotwebe is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to them.

I feel sorry for the patalan dude, starting between LA Ermor and LA R'lyeh is quite the bummer. Still, maybe it is just as well that you put him out of his misery