.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 10th, 2006, 10:48 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: global enchantments when there are 5 already?

Quote:
archaeolept said: generally, to support a claim that something is a poor design decision, it is considered polite to actually provide some argument...
Good point, my bad.

It makes no sense to me that magic spells would preferentially interfere with other spells by the same caster. Especially when competing with spells supported by an enemy.

OTOH, the limit of five global enchantments only makes sense from a metagame programming perspective anyway.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

yah, that's why the rule is irritating to the (usually dominating) player - but it probably works from a balance perspective, as it makes it more difficult for someone w/ an edge in gems to corner the globals, or to parlay gem producing globals into further ones...
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
archaeolept said:
yah, that's why the rule is irritating to the (usually dominating) player - but it probably works from a balance perspective, as it makes it more difficult for someone w/ an edge in gems to corner the globals, or to parlay gem producing globals into further ones...
Erm... wouldn't it just make it easier for the quickest researcher to corner the globals? Once they're full, any one other player could only replace ONE global spell. Which makes absolutely no sense. You sure about this rule?
Old July 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

It definately doesn't take down one of your own first, except as a side effect of choosing one of the five at random - I've blown my own globals down, but have also taken down those of other players while I had some up.

I suspect that Arch thinks it takes down one of his own because he so often has multiple globals up : if a player already has 2 globals up, it's 40% likely to try to override one of his spells, and with 3 up, it's 60% likely.

That's one reason I'll often try to dispel a global if there are five up and I have more than one of my own - means I've got a much better chance of not screwing my own enchantments up.
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Cainehill said:

It definately doesn't take down one of your own first, except as a side effect of choosing one of the five at random - I've blown my own globals down, but have also taken down those of other players while I had some up.
I'd surmised the same, but not enough experience with replacing globals to be absolutely sure my memory isn't screwing with me.

Quote:
That's one reason I'll often try to dispel a global if there are five up and I have more than one of my own - means I've got a much better chance of not screwing my own enchantments up.
Does that actually work in lategame multiplayer? Wouldn't everyone simultaneously jockey for the empty slot, making it empty in name alone?
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:48 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

But that means your new global will attempt for the empty slot, not one YOU already have claimed, giving you a chance for another global.
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:54 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

heheh

the caveat w/ globals is that they've always seemed buggy - no explanation has ever fully worked - which adds in a nice sense of terror whenever you cast one.
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Fate said:
But that means your new global will attempt for the empty slot, not one YOU already have claimed, giving you a chance for another global.
So you're certain it doesn't mean the first nation in the resolution sequence gets the slot, and all the nations thereafter are treated exactly as though they'd cast a spell with 5 globals already up?

Hm. If multiple nations do compete for the same slot, what do you suppose happens if one nation casts both an overpowered (a good hundred gems above base cost) global and a weak one? Is there a chance of the weak one being used in the bid for the slot, failing, and the powerful one being cast normally (that is, competing with a random global) after some other nation gets the slot? This would all be pretty tiresome to test, I'm just wondering if anyone has some inkling of what the exact sequence is.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

Luck is allways a factor. I was not refering to any luck scales.

As soon as there is something random there is luck.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM

Captain

Ygorl is on a distinguished road

The first global cast takes the empty slots. Any others are treated exactly as though there were five globals already up (since there are!)

I think the order in which ritual spells (including globals) happen is the order of unit ID (which might be the order in which units were created, and almost certainly is the order in which they show up in the commander list in a province) or else that order reversed, with a 50% chance for either.