.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old December 7th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road
Default A Land War in Asia Scenarios

Hey All!

I have been working on a group of scenarios dealing with a general war between China and surrounding nations taking place in the near future. Here is the description:

"Background: Following an economic near-collapse in the mid 2010s, a desperate China invades Taiwan in 2019 to forestall domestic unrest. After a bloody campaign against the Taiwanese and intervening US Marines, the Chinese conquer the island. An embarrassed and bloodied United States, along with their alarmed allies, Japan, South Korea, and Australia, impose a naval blockade against China. Cut off from vital raw materials in Africa and the Middle East, China seeks to take them from a wary Russia. The Russian Federation prepares to defend itself in the Far East, causing the war to begin earlier than either side had intended. Neither side is as prepared as they would like."

The first scenario, "Trading Space," deals with the Chinese thrust towards Vladivostok.

This is the first scenario I have ever submitted so comments are welcome!

Thanks to everyone here for making this great game incredible and continually improving it!
Attached Files
File Type: rar A Land War in Asia 1 Trading Space.rar (312.6 KB, 310 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Airborne Rifles For This Useful Post:
Old December 7th, 2013, 05:11 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Land War in Asia Scenarios

You must have read my mind was looking at China as my next theatre, Asia is a melting pot of reasonable tech forces. Taiwan, Japan S.Korea Malaysia USMC to name a few would give China a run for her money to.
I will for sure give this a go in a week or 2 & look forward to more.
Not sure on this but if you want forces to be semi realistic Russian Eastern Command tends to use tracked vehicles not BTRs due to the rough going.
Look at area round Mongolia its harsh or swamps I think & most of it is devoid of anything something like 3 highways & railways cross the borders.
Old December 7th, 2013, 07:33 PM

General

Okay shouldn't comment without at least looking, I couldn't resist. Resisted starting as the situation looks fluid so will require some thought. From looking at how I am deployed I would guess this has good replay potential.
This may need some play testing & special victory conditions, based on how many forces you exit.
Fighting withdrawal is in my book one of the hardest things to do well, so I would expect quite high loss ratio.
Also some of the bridges are stone I would suggest making them all wooden.
May also wish to create a different set of stats for the engineers demo charges that have a better chance of destroying bridges, not a certainty.
Some or all could carry a placed charge, best switched off at start possibly.
Suggest increase the property that destroys bridges & reduce the others, AP I am guessing.
So high AP low HEkill & warehead
Reasoning is a placed charge if done correctly should direct its energy at the target, any blast that goes elsewhere is wasted energy so it should be minimal.
Hence small blast radius, a good demolition is contained & relatively quite as all the energy is absorbed by the structure.
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

I DL it and fired it up just to take a peek, by the looks of the map i must congratulate you for an outstanding job with the map making which is half way of the scenario design. I hope you enjoy scenario design as much as I and others do, it can be tiresome but IMHO very rewarding. Hats off and thank you for your efforts, keep up the good work.

This one and others i'm saving for PBEM

I myself have a couple of new "secret" scenario series projects under development and testing them, as well as have other projects on the horizon (besides my uploaded scenario series)
Old December 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM

Corporal

Thanks for the feedback so far and the kind words! Oche, I do enjoy the map design very much (I'm a geographer by education) and I spend the majority of my time there.

Imp, I have an updated version of 'Trading Space' with wooden bridges waiting for any other feedback to upload. I don't know that I feel quite competent to go in and modify weapon stats just yet. I will have to teach myself a bit more first.

In the meantime, here is another one, 'Buying Time.' It will eventually be third in this series, but I'm still working on #2.

Again, feedback is appreciated. I'm rather proud of this one, I think it presents the defender some interesting dilemmas, and I think it could be good played from the attacker's side, too, but I haven't tried that yet.
Attached Files
File Type: rar A Land War in Asia 3 Buying Time.rar (414.0 KB, 248 views)
Old December 14th, 2013, 10:59 PM

General

I had a quick play with weapon stats & making something that has a high chance of destroying a bridge is not straightforward. I have a feeling warhead size may be the mayor factor.
I increased warhead to 30 & reduced all the other values & that seems a good starting point.
Despite high warhead size HE kill of 3 meant it seemed to have no effect on adjacent units.
Old February 5th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Corporal

Here is my latest scenario, one for the Chinese side this time: Breakthrough at Ussuryisk!

I think this presents some challenging decisions for the attacking Chinese player and should be a lot of fun.

Again, comments and criticisms are welcome!
Attached Files
File Type: rar A Land War in Asia 2 Breakthrough at Ussuryisk.rar (350.1 KB, 213 views)
Old February 14th, 2014, 05:01 PM

Corporal

Here is the fourth scenario of the series. This one is designed for the Chinese side but is playable as the Russians as well. I think this one would make a good PBEM as well.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: rar A Land War in Asia 4 Anvil and Hammer.rar (326.0 KB, 212 views)
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:22 PM

Private

Paulus_PAK is on a distinguished road

After all is it possible to destroy those bridges with engineer satchel charges (in Trading Space)? So far I'm unable to do so. Although it seems that Chinese thrusts can be stalled.
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:25 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulus_PAK View Post
After all is it possible to destroy those bridges with engineer satchel charges (in Trading Space)? So far I'm unable to do so. Although it seems that Chinese thrusts can be stalled.
Possible but unlikely.