.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 12th, 2014, 06:08 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Cuban Crisis - Norway

Date: October 27, 1962
Battle Location: Near Skibotn, Norway
Battle Type: Soviet Union assault vs Norway/USMC defend
Scenario description: Fictional Scenario

In an attempt to gain something to negotiate away in return for missiles in Cuba the Soviets have ordered the mobilization of the Warsaw Pact!
NATO and Pact forces face off in central Europe, but neither side really wants to start WW III so everyone stays on high alert but maintains their positions.

Norway has mobilized, but not deployed their regular army, not wanting to provoke the Soviets. However the Homeguard and some recon elements are in defensive positions, "just in case".
A USMC Battalion Landing Team (BLT) has been landed and deployed in the Skibotn area. Washington feels certain the the Soviets won't try anything if they know they have to face American troops.

However, in Norway the Soviets feel limited hostilities confined to northern Norway will gain them a trading card they can use for being allowed to place their missiles in Cuba. After all, you can always blame a rogue commander and have him shot before things get totally out of hand!

On Oct. 26 the Soviets make a surprise announcement; they will demobilize their forces in central Europe, and invite NATO to send observers.

Then at dawn Oct. 27 northern Norway erupts!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Scenario_355_Cuban_Crisis_Norway.zip (198.6 KB, 191 views)

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old October 12th, 2014, 08:33 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cuban Crisis - Norway

BLT? - which of the guys called themselves the bacon, the lettuce and the tomato....

But the main point - does this use the issued standard USMC OOB - or your latest mods?. If the latter then you'll have to add that zip to the thread.

Andy
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
BLT? - which of the guys called themselves the bacon, the lettuce and the tomato....

But the main point - does this use the issued standard USMC OOB - or your latest mods?. If the latter then you'll have to add that zip to the thread.

Andy
It can use either the default set or the latest mods.
Most of the units in the scenario have been tweaked via the editor so it's just a matter of the units being the same type in the OOB, which they are regardless of which OOB you use.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old October 13th, 2014, 09:56 AM

Lieutenant General

I know this scenario is big/complected/long enough it'll take a few days for anyone to finish it. But feedback, ESPECIALLY problems, is appreciated.

Old October 18th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Cuban Crisis - Norway

Suhiir always posts a scenario worth the time and effort. It is big and complicated. This one will take more study to formulate a plan, counter-attack, defend in place, withdraw and ambush, whew!

I want to understand what Suhiir intended in her layout of the defense. What she understood as the Russian COA.

Gotta run, RTB!
Old October 18th, 2014, 03:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Actually the "intent" of the defense is pretty simple. You have essentially two infantry battalions, one Norwegian Homeguard the other USMC, trying to stop a mechanized assault. Dig in, use any mobile anti-armor assets when/where needed.
Just sitting in your foxholes/trenches letting the Russian steamroller hit you when and where it likes is not an effective strategy. You need to figure out how to use your mobile anti-armor, forward of the MLR recon assets, and what little (compared to the Russians) mortars/artillery you have to best effect to disrupt and destroy as much of the Russian assaults as possible. Given the length and size of the scenario the Russians have time and room for more then a simple "banzai charge" ... so where are they going to hit you with what?
FUN!

Old October 18th, 2014, 03:47 PM

Lieutenant General

The BIG challenge was trying to figure out how to get the AI controlled Russians to act like they have a brain.
That required a LOT of testing on formation placement/composition/timing as reinforcements, using the editor to reduce the speed of some vehicles so they'd assault with the infantry, and placing victory objectives such that the AI knew where to go without their location telling a player exactly where the AI was going to go.

Old October 19th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road

I've made my way through most of the scenario and it's a lot of fun. I pushed my armor and AT units forward of the MLR and set up ambushes supported by the reserve infantry company to good effect. I defninitely appreciate the work you've put in to making the AI attack not just a headlong rush for victory points. My one small criticism is the deployment of the MLR. A linear deployment like that seems a little unrealistic in modern warfare, especially in a theater like Norway where the amount of troops will never be enough to cover all the ground. Really fun scenario all around, I hope more are coming!
Old October 19th, 2014, 09:19 AM

Lieutenant General

Glad to hear you found it interesting. Have you gotten to the main infantry assault yet?

Yeah I initially tried a non-linear defense but given line-of-sight issues there was no way to do so without creating unacceptable gaps in the fields of fire.

Old October 21st, 2014, 09:54 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Cuban Crisis - Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Actually the "intent" of the defense is pretty simple. Given the length and size of the scenario the Russians have time and room for more then a simple "banzai charge" ... so where are they going to hit you with what?
FUN!
Yeah, that is what I want to understand, what is the Russian likely course of action (COA), and that means, what was Suhiir thinking when she put the assault plan together.