BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old March 10th, 2018, 08:20 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Off Topic

Wondered if anyone else has noticed the worrying direction the arms race is taking us.
THADD is a big issue despite the fact its very hard to intercept a ballistic missile Russia & China are not happy at all about it.
Russian solution is very worrying they dont need more delivery systems they need faster ones.
Planes can now supercruise and it seems ballistic missiles can now do Mach 10 to prevent intercept.
Big problem here is the world has been on the brink of nuclear war far more often than most people think but there was time to talk. At Mach 10 Central Russia to Central USA would be just over an hour factor in detection & confirmation & there is not much decision time if you want to get your shot off.

Another thing nobody seems to be paying much attention to is Chinas slow attempt to take over the world by re opening the old silk road. I can see this working because China stays neutral it does not medal in politics and regime changes they could take over world economy without firing a shot.
Current system if your a naughty boy, have something we want or even have just finnished paying off your debt we seem to intervene.
Old March 10th, 2018, 10:49 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Off Topic

Well...yeah, but, nothing is new. Everything changes and everything remains the same.
It was **** before, it is **** now and it will probably continue to be **** in the future.
Technology changes but overall that's about it.
In all the horror that could have unleashed, perhaps Patton and MacArthur were right.
Old March 10th, 2018, 12:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

And you haven't even mentioned what is going on in SE Mediterranean, or the Middle East.

It seems we're condemned to live in interesting times after all...
Old March 10th, 2018, 02:07 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road

Were you around in the 80s? I believe they say at one point we were 5 seconds from nuclear war.
Old March 10th, 2018, 02:43 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Wondered if anyone else has noticed the worrying direction the arms race is taking us.
THADD is a big issue despite the fact its very hard to intercept a ballistic missile Russia & China are not happy at all about it.
Russian solution is very worrying they dont need more delivery systems they need faster ones...

I am reminded of the scene form Platoon where a squad is preparing for night ambush: "It's politics man, it's politics." (Platoon, 1986)

Seriously, this off topic thread has its genesis in the The Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (ABM Treaty or ABMT) (1972—2002) or the violation of the treaty (as many have alleged) with the first serious work dubbed as "Star Wars."

Old March 10th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,686 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Off Topic

sic semper erat, et sic semper erit

(Thus has it always been, and thus shall it ever be..)

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 10th, 2018, 08:39 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Were you around in the 80s? I believe they say at one point we were 5 seconds from nuclear war.
Probably a bit dramatic minutes rather than seconds, most known incidents the West was the culprit but 1983 was Russia's year.

The close one was Russia mistaking a military exercise for the real deal.
Friend of mine was in the signal core at the time in a mobile monitoring post. When they realised the Russians were as scared as them they contacted their counterparts directly in an effort to diffuse the situation, lot of unsanctioned chatter that day.

The other one in 1983 did not amount to much the Russians detected missile launches but who ever was in charge took a gamble & did not report it. Turned out to be a satellite glitch.
Old March 10th, 2018, 09:22 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Off Topic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Probably a bit dramatic minutes rather than seconds, most known incidents the West was the culprit but 1983 was Russia's year.

The close one was Russia mistaking a military exercise for the real deal.
Friend of mine was in the signal core at the time in a mobile monitoring post. When they realised the Russians were as scared as them they contacted their counterparts directly in an effort to diffuse the situation, lot of unsanctioned chatter that day.

The other one in 1983 did not amount to much the Russians detected missile launches but who ever was in charge took a gamble & did not report it. Turned out to be a satellite glitch.
It made have been the NATO exercise dubbed Able Archer 83.

I remember duck and cover drills and the stories my big brother told of the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. It was a scary time. I imagine on reflection, today's school "active shooter drills" are more intense and "real" than my "duck and cover drills" from grade school.

So, here is a list I feel warrants incidents nearing all-out war as GOATs:

1. In October 1962, the U.S. and U.S.S.R. came to the brink of nuclear war during what’s become known as the Cuban Missile Crisis.

2. Maultsby's U-2 Spy Plane Incident

On October 27, 1962, just as the Cuban Missile Crisis was reaching its boiling point, an American U-2 spy plane took off from Alaska en route to a routine reconnaissance mission near the North Pole. Pilot Charles Maultsby was supposed to use celestial navigation to find his way, but halfway through the trip his view of the night sky became hopelessly obscured by the glow of the aurora borealis, or “northern lights.” With no visual markers to guide him, Maultsby soon drifted far off course and inadvertently crossed the border into the Soviet Union.

Because the situation in Cuba still rested on a knife-edge, Maultsby’s accidental detour carried possibly catastrophic consequences. Worried the U-2 could be a nuclear bomber, the Soviets scrambled several MiG fighter jets and sent them on a course to destroy the intruding aircraft. The Air Force responded by dispatching two F-102 fighters armed with nuclear-tipped missiles to shepherd Maultsby back to Alaska. Any confrontation between the two groups of aircraft could have potentially ended in all-out war, but Maultsby managed to glide his U-2—which had long since run out of fuel—out of Soviet airspace before he could be intercepted.

3. The B-59 Submarine Incident

That same day, a minor incident aboard a Soviet submarine might stand as the closest the world has ever come to nuclear war. On October 27, 1962, at the height of the Cuban Missile Crisis, the American destroyer USS Beale began dropping depth charges on the nuclear-armed Soviet submarine B-59, which was lurking near the U.S. blockade line around Cuba. The charges were non-lethal warning shots intended to force B-59 to the surface, but the submarine’s captain mistook them for live explosives. Convinced he was witnessing the opening salvo of World War III, the captain angrily ordered his men to arm the sub’s lone nuclear-tipped torpedo and prepare for attack.

The misunderstanding could have resulted in disaster if not for a contingency measure that required all three of the submarine’s senior officers to sign off on a nuclear launch. The Soviet captain was in favor, but Vasili Arkhipov, B-59’s second in command, refused to give his consent. After calming the captain down, Arkhipov coolly convinced his fellow officers to bring B-59 to the surface and request new orders from Moscow. The submarine eventually returned to Russia without incident, but it was over 40 years before a full account of Arkhipov’s life-saving decision finally came to light.

4. The Able Archer 83 Exercise

Although it was not widely known at the time, declassified government documents have since revealed that a November 1983 NATO war game nearly saw the United States and the Soviet Union come to blows. The source of the misunderstanding was an exercise known as Able Archer 83, which was supposed to simulate how a conventional attack on Europe by the Soviet Union could eventually be met by a U.S. nuclear strike. Such simulations were not uncommon during the Cold War, but the Able Archer mission differed from the usual protocol in both its scope and realism. In preparation for the war game, the United States airlifted 19,000 troops to Europe, changed its alert status to DEFCON 1 and moved certain commands to alternate locations—all steps that typically would only be taken in times of war.

For the Soviets, these maneuvers perfectly matched their own predictions for how the Americans would set the table for a nuclear offensive. While they knew a war game was taking place, they were also wary that it could be a ruse to cover up preparations for a real world attack. Unbeknownst to the Americans, the Soviets had soon gone into high alert and readied their nuclear arsenal, with some units in East Germany and Poland even preparing their fighter jets for takeoff. They remained poised for a counterstrike until November 11, when the Able Archer exercise ended without incident. Only later did NATO and the United States realize that their realistic simulation of World War III had very nearly led to the real thing.

Source: http://www.history.com/news/history-...ar-close-calls

Old March 10th, 2018, 09:47 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

According to the "Doomsday Clock" the closest we ever came to world destruction was 1953 and 2018 both set at 2 minutes to midnight...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old March 10th, 2018, 11:49 PM

General

Not a biggie on thinking about it, India Pakistan China triangle has far worse reaction times already.