.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:44 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Roleplay nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
You left out stomach there.
Nah...Aboleths are great for the stomach.

Good beer batter, quick deep fry, little squeeze of lemon...
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:59 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I dont think the role play capabilities of this game have been properly explored. If we did we might see some more personal activity from the developers. Kristoffer in particular.

Ive alot alot of projects on my wishlist along those lines but due to medical situations I will not be taking on anything longer than a day at most. Altho some find it horribly irritating of me to do so, I may be resurrecting some project threads in hopes that a few particular people here might pick them up.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:35 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
We may not know how an Eagle King thinks, or a wizard for that matter, but it is fun to take a stab at it. By your line of reasoning, we would be regulated to role playing militia.
Now that would be interesting, an AAR from the viewpoint of a lowly militia.
That has actually been done before, a few times. In the Yarnspinners games, for examples, and their successors, the Chronicles games, where even KO was participating in. They're on the Wiki:

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Chronicles:Main_Page
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Chronicles_EA

Regarding the "AAR from the viewpoint of a lowly militia", you'll probably have fun reading Caelum's story, featuring Eagle Kings, no less. The others are quite good as well.

I especially liked Machaka's story, it's a pity that it never continued. A pity in general that there have been so few updates, too, though some people were really proficient at writing and it's a lot of work to play and give a creative rendition of it, of course.
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Well, Helheim with their Hanged Kings and guarding the Gates of Death leaves few to be desired in this respect. But when I am feeling in mind for some intrigue, I play Tien Chi.
Shinuyama - they are goblins! And what's not to like about them. I once played them in heavily RP/AAR game with Pretender whose dynasty had lost the throne of Tien Chi some time ago. Now he had forged a (relatively) disciplined army out of goblins whom he had taught to make steel weapons and grow rice enough to feed their troops and was going to come back for a throne rightly his. Initially he had made an alliance with Tien Chi so that people and officials there would know him...
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:02 AM

General

Yomi is always fun, because yeah they're supposed to be evil demons, but they're also the underdogs. They're also so inept that you can't really expect rule by them to be as harsh as, say, Hinnom or R'lyeh, or even some of the human Nations.

I always imagine them failed Mongols, living on a barren plateau somewhere in upper Mongolia, the demon kings constantly *****ing about the weather and their latest defeat, and then halfheartedly intimidating a lackey or kicking a ko-oni, while the Hannya secretly hoarde all the coal, choicest food, skilled slaves, what have you, for themselves, while running everything from behind the scenes.

The Oni visiting their chambers, whenever the Hannya aren't washing their hair, always wonder why it's so warm in there, why the food tastes so good, etc., but they're just not bright enough to catch on, assuming it must be some kind of "hannya magic".

It's practically a Saturday Morning Cartoon, from the perspective of the "bad guys".
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:46 AM

Corporal

Nounours is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Oni visiting their chambers, whenever the Hannya aren't washing their hair, always wonder why it's so warm in there, why the food tastes so good, etc., but they're just not bright enough to catch on, assuming it must be some kind of "hannya magic".
Are you sure, HoneyBadger ? I think Dai-Oni are quite bright, in their own wicked way. But Are you sure their tastes for food or clothing (or hygiene) are the same that human ones ? You can't ignore the extra sex-appeal that blood-drenched furs gives you when you are a Oni, and everybody knows that sucking rotting meat with is a rare delicacy ! But did you know that the term "Marshmallow" is just a deformation (human just can't articulate correctly, because they lack proper-sized fangs) of "Smashed Mellow" ? Human bone mellow, that is. Yummy. In Yomi, at least.. And what's yummy in Yomi is not made for human mind (just try to repeat this sentence as fast as you can. If you succeed to do it 10 times in a row, it means you where chosen to be the next prophet of LA R'lyeh's new god...)

Oni are NOT evil, they are inhumans. They conception of what is good or bad is totally alien to human mind. And perhaps this explains why my favorite nations are Fomoria, Lanka, Hinnom, Abyssia, Yomi and R'lyeh, because they are so alien. You just have to change all the way you think to begin understanding them. It can be quite funny. Sort of mental yoga.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:45 AM

Private

Yonz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
Yomi is always fun, because yeah they're supposed to be evil demons, but they're also the underdogs. They're also so inept that you can't really expect rule by them to be as harsh as, say, Hinnom or R'lyeh, or even some of the human Nations.

I always imagine them failed Mongols, living on a barren plateau somewhere in upper Mongolia, the demon kings constantly *****ing about the weather and their latest defeat, and then halfheartedly intimidating a lackey or kicking a ko-oni, while the Hannya secretly hoarde all the coal, choicest food, skilled slaves, what have you, for themselves, while running everything from behind the scenes.

It's practically a Saturday Morning Cartoon, from the perspective of the "bad guys".
HB is now my personal hero. I had a laugh reading this, you've really hit the nail right on the head with this description.

While Shinuyama and Yomi may not be my favourite nations (though certainly very fun to play), Jomon is. I really like the whole samurai theme and zen feel. I found it easier me to relate to human nations rather than some giants and/or magical beings. While Hinnom may be fun to play in a sense where you can steamroll just about any opponent, I don't really find them too interesting as a roleplaying nation. They've been given just about every single advantage over the rest, for god's sake, how can that be interesting? The real challenge is to play with nations that are slightly underpowered, that way you can really feel the burden of every lost battle.

@ Nounours: I think it's marrow not mellow, but innovative etymology nonetheless.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM

General

Yomi's one of my very favorites, although I wish a bit more had been done with them, to make them more competitive, or atleast more strategically dimensional. The whole idea of Asian demons/underworlds/ghosts is quite fascinating, and there's a great deal of information and inspiration on the subject, throughout most every part of the East.