Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Corporal

Warmonger is on a distinguished road
Question Need Information

I just started playing WinSPWWII a few months ago. I had played SPWAW until it drove me crazy.

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some information about WinSPWWII:

1. How do I increase the hang time for status messages? I've set the preferences value to the max but they still disappear too fast.

2. When a vehicle is immobilized, either due to combat or getting stuck, can it be made mobile again? If so, how?

3. When a vehicle has three weapons, main gun, coax MG and bow MG, when the target is in range of all three why does sometimes only the main gun fire, sometimes main gun and CMG, sometimes all three fire, instead of all three firing all the time?
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Need Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
I just started playing WinSPWW2 a few months ago. I had played SPWAW until it drove me crazy.
Good to have you. We have always taken a different approach to the game.

Quote:
I'm hoping someone can provide me with some information about WinSPWW2:

1. How do I increase the hang time for status messages? I've set the preferences value to the max but they still disappear too fast.
Open Camogame.ini found in the main game data folder and adjust the message delay length. You will see this......
Quote:
; Adjust message delay length by this amount of milliseconds (- deduct, + add)
; Basic message delays for the settings are
; 0=250 Milliseconds (1/4 second)
; 1=500 Milliseconds
; 2=750 Milliseconds
; 3=1000 Milliseconds
; 4=1250 Milliseconds
; Minimum delay is 20 Milliseconds, so a DelayAdjust of -250
; will result in Message Delay 0=20 Ms, 1 = 250 Ms, 2 = 500Ms etc
It's probably set to zero now

Quote:

2. When a vehicle is immobilized, either due to combat or getting stuck, can it be made mobile again? If so, how?
You don't. You are in the middle of a battle. Vehicles are RARELY recovered in the middle of an active battle zone. There is not equivalent of rolling snakeyes to unstick or "fix" your vehicle in this game.

Quote:

3. When a vehicle has three weapons, main gun, coax MG and bow MG, when the target is in range of all three why does sometimes only the main gun fire, sometimes main gun and CMG, sometimes all three fire, instead of all three firing all the time?

Need more info .There are a lot of reasons like how far you moved, your suppression, the units experience level. Give me a specific example. Rest assured it's not a "bug"

Don
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Information

Quote:
I just started playing WinSPWWII a few months ago.

Point 3 has always been this way in Steel Panthers, from the original SSI incarnation on.

Crew experience determines whether or not the weapon is fired in addition to the slot 1 weapon. Slot number also seems to affect it (BMG are typically lower down than a coax).

Cheers
Andy
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

On point 3,yes speed elavation,status ect. has alot influence.

Some tank mg guns have more distance IE: the Sherman vs Stuart,Sherman has better range.

Stuarts are deadly to infantry at around 250 meters.

Ready status means hatches are open,thus more visabilty,, suppressed means buttoned and much less visabilty

Last edited by gila; April 12th, 2012 at 06:19 PM..
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Captain

Point(2

No vehicle repairs within a ongoing battle,they are repaired in between useing repair pts..

If you have played SPWaW for a long time,this is something you will get used to.

One thing (among others) i did not like about SpWaW,is that an immoblized or damaged vehicle can magicaly come alive

not realistic in few hours time
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
I just started playing WinSPWWII a few months ago.

Point 3 has always been this way in Steel Panthers, from the original SSI incarnation on.

Crew experience determines whether or not the weapon is fired in addition to the slot 1 weapon. Slot number also seems to affect it (BMG are typically lower down than a coax).

Cheers
Andy
It's definitely not experience because I've had the same unit do all of the above. Sounds like movement or suppression are affecting it. I didn't pay close attention to those points when I noted the behavior.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Point(2

No vehicle repairs within a ongoing battle,they are repaired in between useing repair pts..

If you have played SPWaW for a long time,this is something you will get used to.

One thing (among others) i did not like about SpWaW,is that an immoblized or damaged vehicle can magicaly come alive

not realistic in few hours time
I suspected as much. However, in WAW I liked getting unstuck as opposed to fixing combat immobilization. Having gotten stuck myself (car not AFV) I know it can be made unstuck within the timeframe of a scenario.
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:

Open Camogame.ini found in the main game data folder and adjust the message delay length. You will see this......

It's probably set to zero now

Don
Actually I had done this and set the value to 4 (1.25 secs). Are higher values allowed?

Some messages are quite long others are short. How big a deal would it be to make hang time variable depending on message length? Long messages would hang longer than short ones.
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Sergeant

Rosollia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's definitely not experience because I've had the same unit do all of the above.
Are you sure? If I understand correctly a virtual "dice" is rolled every time before the unit shoots. If the crew experience is low they can sometimes fire all their weapons or just one or two, depending on that "dice" roll outcome.

Quote:
I suspected as much. However, in WAW I liked getting unstuck as opposed to fixing combat immobilization. Having gotten stuck myself (car not AFV) I know it can be made unstuck within the timeframe of a scenario.
Compromise is the key word here.

In SPWAW I remember sometimes having a truck get mobile again after a couple of turns from soft sand. That seemed logical and plausible. However I also remember shot up tanks magicaly fixing their broken tracks / engines and continuing the fight. Or heavy tanks like a 60 ton Tiger getting unstuck from a swamp by itself after a couple of turns...

The game engine had no way to tell if the vehicle was a light truck or a 60 ton tank. And it had no way to tell if the vehicle had been imobilized by enemy fire or driving in soft ground.

I can imagine a car getting so badly stuck that it can not be moved for the duration of the battle. However I can not imagine a 60 ton tank getting unstuck from a swamp or fixing it's broken tracks in a battle.

Quote:
Actually I had done this and set the value to 4 (1.25 secs). Are higher values allowed?

Some messages are quite long others are short. How big a deal would it be to make hang time variable depending on message length? Long messages would hang longer than short ones.
Text speed is also affected by the Graphics Delay setting in the Game Options window. If you increase the value the text should also stay longer.
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM

Captain

Quote:
Compromise is the key word here.

In SPWAW I remember sometimes having a truck get mobile again after a couple of turns from soft sand. That seemed logical and plausible. However I also remember shot up tanks magicaly fixing their broken tracks / engines and continuing the fight. Or heavy tanks like a 60 ton Tiger getting unstuck from a swamp by itself after a couple of turns...

The game engine had no way to tell if the vehicle was a light truck or a 60 ton tank. And it had no way to tell if the vehicle had been imobilized by enemy fire or driving in soft ground.

I can imagine a car getting so badly stuck that it can not be moved for the duration of the battle. However I can not imagine a 60 ton tank getting unstuck from a swamp or fixing it's broken tracks in a battle.

[quote]

Bravo,i couldn't put better myself.

The game code is not intuitive,it can't decide wheter it's just stuck or tracks thrown,tires shot out ect.

It considers every immobolize, a total speed kill for the duration of the battle.

It's good this way i think,once you get used to it