Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old February 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Repair vehicle and units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromine View Post
Another thing that works is just bailing the crew and taking them to safety via PAC, chopper or whatever you have. The tank can be replaced between battles, if it ends up destroyed, but it takes much more time to replace an experienced crew.
That is so true!The tank itself is replaceable.
Pop some smoke (if available) and bail,odds are they might get killed but better than waiting for a highly visible tank transport.
If i can i always rescue an experienced crew.
It changes the strategy but better than training a new crew.
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM

Corporal

Hermit is on a distinguished road

I have several heavy transport helos in my core. They can lift many vehicles, even MBT's. Rather than bail out the crew, once the AA threat is gone, I use them to take immobilized vehicles into the back and use them as pillboxes to defend the rear area.
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I have several heavy transport helos in my core. They can lift many vehicles, even MBT's. Rather than bail out the crew, once the AA threat is gone, I use them to take immobilized vehicles into the back and use them as pillboxes to defend the rear area.
You are simply exploiting a game artefact of the primitive loading system for vehicles. Those helos are really only supposed to be able to load jeeps etc. but have a "larger" load capacity to allow a decent amount of men to be carried (244 or so => about 40 men).

if we limited these helos to 215 or so (enough for a jeep or similar), then we would have gotten zillions of "My chinook can onlycarry fifteen guys wah your game is broken" even if we had annotated the fact that this was a special lift-vehicles only version in the unit description, since end users don't tend to read these. So 244 allows 44 men, as a compromise. It does allow you to load a class 44 vehicle load too - but you are a human, the AI will not load helos with vehicles - and you are expected to be sensible with the usage of this compromise solution.

Only load the correct sort of vehicles into a large helo - a jeep, maybe 2, one Russian BMD para APC etc.

Therefore if your opponent uses say Chinooks to offload a horde of Sheridans in your rear - tell him he is a twit (or anything else you may choose!), and restart the game !.

Andy
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:59 PM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road

@Hermit,

Andy's right....LMAO! Don't be a moron. Use the compromise solution realistically. You can get away with that exploit against the cpu BUT a human will probably come back to Shrap Forums and BLAST you in a post. I know from experience. I was done like that once as a newbie.
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:07 PM

Corporal

I was not aware of the "compromise." I did a little checking after reading your posts. It appears a Chinook can carry 13.5 tons on it's main hook, and included in the text is its ability to carry large (155mm) artillery pieces -

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/chinook/

I also saw this picture of an old army helo carrying what appears to be a decent sized piese of SPA.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...r-lifting-tank

But, as I have now been informed, I didn't see any tanks being lifted (although I know the Sheridan was designed specifically for this purpose)

Thanks for setting me straight!
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But, as I have now been informed, I didn't see any tanks being lifted (although I know the Sheridan was designed specifically for this purpose)
Thought designed to be supposedly air dropable not helo transportable weight something like 17 tons
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:39 PM

Corporal

Firestorm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
You know I never thought of using the tank transporter to save an immobilised tank lol. Thanks for the idea.
Never actually used them in any game, but I can't think of anything else they'd be good for.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Thought designed to be supposedly air dropable not helo transportable weight something like 17 tons
They were intended to be air dropable.
I know they've done tests dumping them out of aircraft but to the best of my knowledge it's never been done outside of the tests.
I do believe there are a FEW civilian heavy lift helos (used for construction) that could pick one up, but nothing in the military inventory can.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM

Corporal

Kartoffel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
You know I never thought of using the tank transporter to save an immobilised tank lol. Thanks for the idea.
Never actually used them in any game, but I can't think of anything else they'd be good for.
But what are the odds that some 2-wheel drive tractor trailer isn't going to get stuck in the same mud/marsh/stream that got your AFV or 4x4 stuck?

For laughs I once transported 8 tank transporters and one tank in side a single tank transporter. Another time I keep loading snipers until it couldn't carry any more, the odd thing was that the limit was reached before carry capacity was reached, perhaps some hard coded thing.

On a serious note, I have used them for holding about half a company of infantry and advancing along a road. It can be convenient to have all that firepower concentrated as long as you don't get attacked while in transit or before they can deploy and spread out.

--------St. Thomas Aquinas
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
They were intended to be air dropable.
I know they've done tests dumping them out of aircraft but to the best of my knowledge it's never been done outside of the tests.
I do believe there are a FEW civilian heavy lift helos (used for construction) that could pick one up, but nothing in the military inventory can.
You're right, air droppable, not helo liftable. But FYI, the CH-53E Super Stallion can lift 17.8 tons:

http://www.history.navy.mil/planes/ch53.htm