.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 26th, 2008, 02:45 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Titan pretenders

I'll often use the Titans.

If I've got troops good enough that I don't feel I need an SC for early expansion/defense, then I'll often want a sleeping SC pretender for the mid-game who can also add magic diversity my nation lacks. Unless I'm looking for Earth or Death the standard Cyclops/PoD are far from the cheapest options. A rainbow (or even a lich) could get the paths cheaper, but can't play the SC role. With buffs and equipment any Titan can. And usually once he's done some summoning/forged some critical boosters, it's no longer a disaster if he dies and loses paths.

This is probably sub-optimal in many ways, mostly by being expensive. I play MP, but that doesn't mean I'm good at it.
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

I've been in the same situation. I want some spesific path or combination of paths, and a titan pretender is the most cost-effective chassis, but I'm still reluctant to take it because it's so expensive for, relatively speaking, so little.
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Titan pretenders would be good as SCs, but I hate SC pretenders because to me it feels like putting all your eggs in one basket. I generally go for bless or utility chassises (utility = can cast some useful global or increase magic diversity, usually with good scales).

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Edi said:
The Celestial General loses out to the male titan in a bad way because 25 points more for the titan gets you 100% shockres and one more level of Air magic.

Hm, I disagree.
General doesn't have SR, that's true, but he can easily cast it as he is an air mage.
He, OTOH, has better stats (defense and attack 14 compared to Titan's 12 and 100 hp compared to Titan's 90), map movement 3 and comes equipped. At Air levels beyond 6 they have almost same price and at levels beyond 4 General is cheaper.
So, I'm pretty sure that if you don't want a huge air bless or something, Celestial General is better in almost every aspect. If your nation allows to choose, of course.

In general I think that many titan pretenders are quite viable. Everything depends on what you ant to get from them)