This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old January 13th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Private

Throm Di is on a distinguished road
Default campaign 1 spoiler wanted

Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it. I started the game a couple of days ago, and I just finished campaign 1.

However, I failed one of the Last missions, where I had to protect the renegade pirate ship the "Dagger". As a replacement (?) mission, I was asked to destroy the Mongol pirate base in the Eukrates (not 100% sure about the name) system, which I did. Upon completion, I activated the campaign 2 start.

My question is what (if anything) did I miss by failing to protect the "Dagger"? I could replay the mission but I have already reloaded and tried a couple of times. I have no problem eventually beating the attacking pirate ships, but the "Dagger" always gets shot to pieces before I can finish (I even tried with different ship configurations).

A subsidiary question: I now have 3 computer data boxes in my cargo, taking up 30 kt of valuable space. I found them after destroying the Mongol starbase and I showed them to my Terran contact. This initiated campaign 2, but they stayed in my inventory. Can I sell them to free up space, or is it something I should hold on to for future use?

Many thanks!
Old January 13th, 2004, 06:28 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: campaign 1 spoiler wanted

As far as I can tell the campaign goes the same either way. And you can ditch the computer files.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 13th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Private

Vortex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Throm Di:
However, I failed one of the Last missions, where I had to protect the renegade pirate ship the "Dagger". As a replacement (?) mission, I was asked to destroy the Mongol pirate base in the Eukrates (not 100% sure about the name) system, which I did. Upon completion, I activated the campaign 2 start.
The Eukrates mission is the Last mission in Campaign 1.

Quote:

I have no problem eventually beating the attacking pirate ships, but the "Dagger" always gets shot to pieces before I can finish (I even tried with different ship configurations).
It is possible to do it with a lot of luck. It took me a twenty or so attempts even with an Abbidon MKII battleship carrying two fighters. On at least 5 occasions I didn't even get half way across the system before the Dagger got destroyed. It appears the Dagger has a Death Wish - Oh look 5 cruisers and 3 destoyers, thats an easy kill for my pocket battleship, sorry destroyer.

The stabase is a BIG letdown after this one. I'll just stand off at 141ls and pile quantum torpedos into it until it blows up. Not a challenge really.
[SPOILER] The starbase only has level 1 weapons! [/SPOILER]
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Private

Throm Di is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.
Old January 13th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Sergeant

solops is on a distinguished road

Hah! Now I'm really messed up! I saved the Dagger on my third try but the Starbase kill looks impossible for my DD. What should I do now? Be a merchie until I can get a bigger ship?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. Judge Learned Hand
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that They are not out to get you.

Old January 13th, 2004, 08:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Actually the fastest way to make money is to kill other ships. Pirates, Amon-Krie, Xiati or Fazrah. Blow them up, pick up the components they drop, REPAIR those components, then sell them.

The repair step is crucial. Undamaged components are worth twice as much, and your repair cost is ussually a fraction of the gain.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:06 AM

Private

Otter is on a distinguished road

I saved the Dagger the second try. The game announced my success, credited my account, and then I watched the idiot take on two Amonkrie cruisers. Before I could get there, he was waxed. Made no difference to the game. I got great accolades back at the star base.

This one mission is the most hectic and exciting bLast-o-rama in the whole game. I still played it several times just for the shear non-stop destruction. Hoo-rah!

[cut to award ceremony at star base]
[as speaker drones with praise a crewman tugs at my sleeve]
CM: Arrg, Captain, ain't that the swab what died in front of us?
Capt: Ay, matey, like some deranged poodle. Now shut yer trap before I "dagger" you myself.
CM: Capt' I sure do hope we finish this and get amnesty before these fancies learn who we really are. Arrggg.