This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old January 13th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Private

Quitch is on a distinguished road
Default Demo Difficulty

What sort of difficulty do people tend to tackle? I thought I'd start out on the hardest one, as I tend to in quick save games. Big mistake, on my first cargo mission I ran into pirates (lots of them) hanging out the warp gate I came out of. Reloaded, and this time find a bunch of them hanging around the gate I want to go through.

Go down a level of difficulty and it's pretty much the same, but this time they whoop me with less ships.

Presumably this game is supposed to be possible at this difficulty, so where am I going wrong?? I try to blaze past them, but my ship is so slow...
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Corporal

dHay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Demo Difficulty

Well, one COULD do the obvious thing, and try the easiest level for a bit...

You need to get some money, and upgrade the ship a bit. Cargo transport missions get money, a bit slowly, but...
And if you delay getting the next mission a bit, you can build up. That is, when the mission objective is met, don't go back to the star base for the next one.

The complete game gives you more options, better ships, etc.
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Private

Otter is on a distinguished road

Invest in the fastest engines you can. Speed will save you more that anything else early in the game. If the Space Dock doesn't have what you need, save the game and then restart. Look, mom, it's a whole new supermarket. Resist starting the game missions right away and build up some cash reserves. There comes a point in the game where you'll look forward to the fools pyling up, waiting to be killed.

Stragegy: look for clusters of ships after you've loaded up with with defensive computers and sensors. Pick one, stay on his rear, and keep bLasting. The others do not follow a coordinated attack. Better still if you can get one to chase you, the others will break off, and you can burn the rear end of the idiot until he's wacked. Repeat the process. I've taken out eight ships in quick order this way as long as you don't bump into any of them.
Old January 15th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Sergeant

solops is on a distinguished road

I would like the ability to switch difficulty levels in mid-campaign between missions, maybe while parked at a Starbase. Who wants to have to start the whole campaign over to move up or down a level? Of course I'm playing the full game, not the demo.

[ January 15, 2004, 13:53: Message edited by: solops ]

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. Judge Learned Hand
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that They are not out to get you.