.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 28th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Private

tisjken is on a distinguished road
Default diplomacy

hi all,

can some explain me if diplmocy is usefull in single player games or is it only useful in multiplayer games.
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:43 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: diplomacy

There is no diplomacy in singleplayer, the best way to convince the computer not to attack you is to have lots of pd and a very large army.
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:47 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

There is no way to negotiate with the computer players. Computers won't attack you if you have strong province defence near them, will keep fighting with you if you attack them, might stop attacking if you don't attack them, and are very angry indeed if you kill their god, even accidentally.

In multiplayer, some people might try to rush you in the very early game, others ask for a mutual warn-me-3-turns-before-you-attack or no-hostilities-for-20-turns pacts, some sell worthwhile magical items for a price, etc. If you're interested in learning about the multiplayer diplomacy, start following one of the threads in multiplayer subforum. It's all really complicated.
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
It's all really complicated.
NAP+3, kthx?
Emergency comic relief
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

In MP we have also two lines of thoughts, on which we had very on-the-line-of-flaming debates: one on the "thou shalt respect all the treaties you make or your honour will be corrupted forever" and one on the "I'll say we're best friends and then backstab you and steal your girlfriend". So you'll often see separate MP games that say clearly (if the creator makes the things right) if in the specific match the rules allow or not violating Naps and treaties (also called Vegas/Machiavellian diplomacy). The first ones make more strightforward games, the second ones might make the game more chilly, interesting and thematic as you don't know who are really your friends (possibly... none if they see the opportunity ) so... you decide what you prefer!
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The AI does not seem to respond to diplomacy. But it doesnt mean you cant use it.

Lets say that you have scouted out that you are coming up on nation-A using lots of undead in their armies. And on the far side of nation-A is nation-B who is not doing so well. Having nation-B lose too soon would make nation-A very strong. So you forge things like Herald Lances to send nation-B. It allows nation-B to hold out much longer. Plus, when you finally reach nation-B the fact that they have herald lances is not likely to cause you much trouble.

Sometimes it can even be useful to send gold and gems to an AI that you are not fighting but is on the far side of who you are fighting. Not enough to make them powerful. Just enough to keep them holding out and force your enemy to move armies that direction away from your front.

Remember, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Gandalf Parker
--
per peer-pressure preoccupation
My maps, mods, and mullings can be found at
http://www.Dom3Minions.com
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Well, I thought the 2 competing MP schools of thought were -

All treaties made in game are made by players outside of game - therefore if you break one, you the player, are a bastard.

and:

All treaties made in game are made by in game "pretenders", so don't blame me if my god breaks his word, he's a bastard.

So bottom line - you'll only get so far if you trust everyone once. Best rule of thumb, trust no one, but do what you must to survive, whether in your eyes that means keeping your word, or breaking your word. There are obviously benefits to both, depending on how you reap them.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM

Corporal

Dectilon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Best rule of thumb, trust no one
Yeah, unless the OP declares that any agreement entered into is to be binding for that game.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:30 AM

First Lieutenant

Agema is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know whether the AI will use nations you aren't at war with to help other AI nations?

I ask, because in one game out of nowhere an assassin from one AI nation I was nowhere near and had no dealings with tried to assassinate one of my commanders, although I was at war with another AI nation. Or does the AI not consider assassinations to be war?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

AIs can decide to be at war with you before they have means to move their armies to you. Usually you don't know about this, because nothing happens.