Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 18th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Corporal

hawk66 is on a distinguished road
Default purchase routines

I've currently set up a battle between Germany and Mujadeen (Advance), where as Germany has 2000 battle points. It seems that the purchase routine buys almost only infantry (even with the AI tank heavy option on). I'd expected that a mechanized infantry is more common and that I also get from time to time air support and that stuff.

Is that by intention or why is the purchase routine not more 'dynamic'? Would it be possible that the player has more influence (customize) over those algorithms?
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:03 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: purchase routines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk66 View Post
I've currently set up a battle between Germany and Mujadeen (Advance), where as Germany has 2000 battle points. It seems that the purchase routine buys almost only infantry (even with the AI tank heavy option on). I'd expected that a mechanized infantry is more common and that I also get from time to time air support and that stuff.

Is that by intention or why is the purchase routine not more 'dynamic'? Would it be possible that the player has more influence (customize) over those algorithms?
The AI pick lists are dynamic, and vary by year and opponent, and points available.

It will likely be using an Afghanistan type pick since the opponent is the Mujadeen. Hence - foot grunts and little or no armour, no AAA weaponry etc. And these lists ignore tank heavy (since they have blank or sometimes substitute infantry "tank" picks for more infantry).

2000 points is not a lot to expect mech forces in any case - a scimitar costs 250 points or so, and the jaegers milans cost 150 each.

I ramped it up to 12000 points - and got the usual array of SAMs, MBT, APC etc for WW3. So the West German pick list does not have an expeditionary forces pick. It simply had too few points to buy armour.

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Corporal

Thanks Andy for your explanations.

Although I've still some issues: I understand the relationship between battle points and buying armor.

But for example if I generate a battle with the mentioned parties (this time battle points 3000, year 2010), I get a lot of infantry units and usually 2-3 MBT. The problem is that the length of such a scenario (map size 80x100) is ~ 17. That means until infantry has reached (rough terrain) the more middle/end of the map, the regular game length is almost over.

So, personally I would think it would be more 'realistic' if the AI tends to buy more mechanized infantry in doubt. Also that the purchase list even sometimes contains 1-2 helos/fixed wings with 'lower' battle points settings.

Are these AI picklists hardcoded or can they be adjusted by users?
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

If the battle is a sigular event, you might want to consider buying the units for the AI. If you're looking for a particular kind of fight (Tank battle in the desert, MECH company clash, etc.) I would look at buying their units yourself. The same could be said if you don't feel that the AI buys realisticly.

Howard Tayer
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks Andy for your explanations.

Although I've still some issues: I understand the relationship between battle points and buying armor.

But for example if I generate a battle with the mentioned parties (this time battle points 3000, year 2010), I get a lot of infantry units and usually 2-3 MBT. The problem is that the length of such a scenario (map size 80x100) is ~ 17. That means until infantry has reached (rough terrain) the more middle/end of the map, the regular game length is almost over.

So, personally I would think it would be more 'realistic' if the AI tends to buy more mechanized infantry in doubt. Also that the purchase list even sometimes contains 1-2 helos/fixed wings with 'lower' battle points settings.

Are these AI picklists hardcoded or can they be adjusted by users?
The AI pick lists can be edited, but only if you are an expert. Not recommended.

The Germans don't have an Afghanistan AI pick - probably since they have a company or two there. Try an AI buy for the UK vs Mujadeen, it will use the "light" infantry, PPV, and WMIKS etc and not spend hundreds of points on rapiers and infantry SAM.

I just tried the US army - and it is a more "Iraq" list, with TUSK M1 and Strykers - will need an Afghanistan specific pick there as well.

If you think the game length is too short, then by all means adjust the game length, that option is available to you, in the "view map" button.

Andy
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Private

Render is on a distinguished road

Just a quick note...

The Germans have slightly more then a company in Afghanistan (the equal of a battalion worth with Boxer and Dingo APC's). At one point they were also using their Weasel tankettes (don't think those are still in country). They have recently introduced at least a platoon of Marder tracked APC's into their ISAF contingent, which must be seriously uncomfortable for their crews since they, like the Canadian Leopard 1's, lack AC.

The Italian's have recently begun using their Dardo tracked APC's in Herat province.

===

I pick, but never place, for the AI about 75% of the time...

LONG
WAR
JOURNAL,
R
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Corporal

A follow-up-question: Can the probability that the AI buys planes/helis be influenced by the user (via picklist etc.?)...especially for lower battle points (<10000)?
Old March 9th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
A follow-up-question: Can the probability that the AI buys planes/helis be influenced by the user (via picklist etc.?)...especially for lower battle points (<10000)?
In a stand-alone battle you can set the buy up to allow zero, or a specific number of flights, or the default (XXX). Long campaigns always use XXX.

And transport helos are not restricted by flight numbers, so long as the buying side have at least the one flight point remaining.

In any case 10,000 points is not "low points" - especially in say the 1970s and earlier! (10K/205=> almost 50 early model Chieftains). The pick list determinant for a strike or a transport helo buy is usually more like 2-3000 buy points remaining.

Cheers
Andy
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

[/quote]
Long campaigns always use XXX.
[/quote]

I did not know this.

I'm sure it was in manual, but i missed that somehow
Does that mean with PBEM campaigns also?
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Quote:
In a stand-alone battle you can set the buy up to allow zero, or a specific number of flights, or the default (XXX). Long campaigns always use XXX.
I did not know this.

I'm sure it was in manual, but i missed that somehow
Does that also mean with PBEM campaigns also?
See the bold bit - A PBEM long Campaign is a Long Campaign. So any air points allocated in preferences at set-up are only valid for the initial core purchase of helos etc.

A User Campaign has the available player's air support points for each scenario determined by the designer (and the force bought already for the AI side).

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: