winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old October 12th, 2018, 06:01 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road
Default Mines

Hello

I notice that dismounting from a vehicle or landing barge and I suspect also from a glider does not trigger mines.
To test this I put 100 or so points of mines into a hex and dismounted into it many times, no explosion.
I also noticed that putting 100 points of mines into a hex has a similar effect to putting one point of mines into a hex, so maybe this could be a little clearer in the help files, maybe point out at what number of mines it is pointless adding more to a hex or something like that?
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mines

Becasue adding more is NOT " pointless " as the more mines in a hex gives a higher chance of triggering one when you ENTER the hex. Dismounting from a vehicle that is already in the mine hex will rarely trigger a mine but entering a hex with mines will give a higher chance and the higher the number of mine points in a hex not only makes the chance of triggering one higher but it takes longer to clear them

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; October 12th, 2018 at 08:08 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old October 12th, 2018, 08:55 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Not to mention you now have to clear them or risk setting off if you exit the hex.
Old October 15th, 2018, 06:29 AM

BANNED USER

So I rerun the tests with a bigger sample set, I dismounted 50 times into 50 hexes, each with 50 mines. Not a single explosion. If you walk into the same hexs from next hex then usually an explosion.
So I think it is safe to conclude that dismounting wether from a truck, glider or landing craft doesn't trigger mines.
Don't forget in a 3 minute turn you are not just jumping out, you will be spreading out as well.
Old October 15th, 2018, 08:34 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Triggering mines is by movement into or out of the hex. Dismounting in a hex is not "movement" as it uses a different routine. Dismounts aren't entering the hex, by the game rules.

Maybe that needs to be changed - but that is how the code has been for 20 odds years, with no complaints till now with no complaints from end users - probably because the carrying vehicle will test for mines by itself when it goes into the mine hex.
Old October 15th, 2018, 08:46 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Unless it’s an easy fix works fine as it is, unloading and finding your in a minefield is a headache of its own.
Just assume driver suspected something so got troops to dismount or simply they dismounted to realise the situation.
Old October 15th, 2018, 10:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

That works for me as well

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old October 24th, 2018, 04:24 AM

BANNED USER

OK so thanks for that clarification, so maybe not a big deal for a truck, but it is for landing craft. You can dismount from a landing craft into a beach hex full of mines and none will explode, It sort of makes mining the first row of hexes of a beach a waste of time. This is because the landing force can simply dismount infantry out of the landing craft into the minefield of any density and not only will they land with no casualties they will then quickly remove all the mines without taking any casualties as well. For landing craft even though it is a dismount it is into the hex in front of the Landing craft, Qualifying as moving into the hex but still doesn't trigger mines.