BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 20th, 2019, 01:18 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Click-based enemy spotting

This issue has already been addressed to a degree, it’s linked to turning a unit for the same effect which now has the option to create reaction fire and would probably need a complete recode to improve it further.
Borderline visible units may turn up on occasion but it’s no big issue it’s a 3 minute turn.
I assume you had not used the procedure above and fired at the area near the unit causing the situation to change.
This I am guessing is what most of us do.
If not and it’s a game mechanic you wish to exploit feel free, I for one could not be bothered with it and will continue trying to make units visible using the above method.
Old June 20th, 2019, 02:59 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Most of us I am guessing use the above.
This has been addressed to a large degree, turning a unit did the same thing so you now have the option to make it cause op fire.
How often does it happen without the situation changing?
By that I mean change in the dust cloud morale for either unit, remember morale can change for a lot of factors.
If the sighting unit just saw an enemy tank go bang for example not just suppression.

In the odd case it happens I would guess the dust cloud calculation rounded down instead of up and the unit was borderline on being visible anyway.
Big picture it’s a 3 minute turn they finally noticed something, it’s another random event they are everywhere in this game.

As to trying to exploit it by clicking on my units dream on I have better things to do the updates to this game have allowed me to play faster due to the info available, I could go play slot machines if random clicking was my thing.
Old June 20th, 2019, 06:30 AM

Corporal

anlubue is on a distinguished road

I think similar about it. (But not so thorough.) Especially the unpredictable factor in the game, is a special thrill and with everything that possibly results from it I can cope well.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 08:59 AM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The "problem" is not that clicking on that C1 unit reveals the "hidden" Chinese unit. It's that the "hidden" Chinese unit is not in fact "hidden" it's in a twilight zone grey area between seen and unseen.
Just for the record. If this grey area is a hex shown partially in the dark, then attached is an example with a hex that seems fully visible (29,48). Click on the Japanese unit T0 to reveal a squad of enemy infantry at that location and another at (32,51).
Attached Files
File Type: zip clickvis-2.zip (312.5 KB, 359 views)
Old June 22nd, 2019, 09:32 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigeena View Post
TBH, this is very micro-managing. Usually, if I get return fire and I'm unable to spot with my units. I'll fire some rounds from other units in the vicinity of the suspected hidden unit. Once pinned, they will usually show up.
Area-fire with something heavier than rifles, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigeena View Post
And the usual suspects are the small size 0 teams. So I'm not too worried in the greater scheme of the battle itself.
In my experience, it is often the regular infantry of the enemy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
This issue has already been addressed to a degree, it’s linked to turning a unit for the same effect which now has the option to create reaction fire and would probably need a complete recode to improve it further.
The turning of a unit is an in-game event, which of course may trigger reaction fire and change visibility. That it takes zero MPs is a minor philosophical issue to which I do not object at all. The selection of a unit, on the other hand, is not an in-game event but a user-interface event. It should not affect the state of the game world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
Borderline visible units may turn up on occasion but it’s no big issue it’s a 3 minute turn.
By the way, from the rate-of-travel I estimate the temporal scale as one minute per half-turn, because if a unit travels a distance of 16 hexes its speed is 30 mph, which yields:
Code:
16*50/(30*1609)*60*60 = 59.56 (sec)
If units are considered stationary during the enemy half-turn, then the full-turn scale is two minutes, but you control your forces only half this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
I assume you had not used the procedure above and fired at the area near the unit causing the situation to change.
This I am guessing is what most of us do.
If not and it’s a game mechanic you wish to exploit feel free, I for one could not be bothered with it and will continue trying to make units visible using the above method.
You mean turning the unit around? No, I do use it, but, as I said above, it is perfectly OK to spot another unit by turning, because that is a physical action that can reveal your unit and even attract reaction fire. This interesting game mechanic has nothing to do with the behavior I report in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp
As to trying to exploit it by clicking on my units dream on I have better things to do the updates to this game have allowed me to play faster due to the info available, I could go play slot machines if random clicking was my thing.
Didn't you say you were turning your units around to spot more enemies? If so, that requires clicking, so you already exploit click-based spotting. And that clicking is not random it all, but a very methodical procedure to update the vision of a unit.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 10:06 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
Didn't you say you were turning your units around to spot more enemies? If so, that requires clicking, so you already exploit click-based spotting. And that clicking is not random it all, but a very methodical procedure to update the vision of a unit.

Not Necessarily - I almost never click on my units (I use N(ext) and P(revious) to select units)

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old June 22nd, 2019, 10:14 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Not Necessarily - I almost never click on my units (I use N(ext) and P(revious) to select units)
The N and P keyboard commands have the same effect as clicking.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 12:28 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

N and P work just fine, it’s how we been playing this for 20 years. Seems most of your grips are just frustrated nit picking which really serve no purpose other than you seem to have an axe to grind.

From my experiences over the last 20 years what your complaining about is minutia that has very little if any effect on play..