.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:57 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 11 Gavrus

Sorry I could only marginal victories and draws. The decisive victory was only wishful thinking ....
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM

Private

JTullman is on a distinguished road

I was out of line saying that this scenario is 'impossible' obviously that is not true, as others and myself have found out.

I was a little sleep deprived and really frustrated that night/next day.

However Don, that should go as a compliment that I like the game so much I lose sleep over it a frequent occurrence at my house.

Yes I agree with Roman either ignore the SS to south (use as arty decoys, a tragic waste) or move them slowly with cover of smoke. As mentioned by others to win you must attack at the north.

I won simply by crossing the river high north and 'stealing' the victory hexes. The battle was actually quite gory for 2 of them.

The design of this scenario is masterful, sneaky and just plain devious. One of the best little ones!
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

I just don't see it as a pure and real wargaming to play a scenario a thousand times only to get that holy grail text "You get DECISIVE VICTORY".
That's why the game is supplied with random battle generator.
The point is "test your skill by fighting blind"

When I fight against the A/I, it's really waay more satisfying to get a tough battle and then defeated by the A/I (of course in a one-flow battle).
Winning against the computer is sure a usual thing. To be defeated, its a different story (and you can boast the A/I's overwhelming action against you on the AAR section).

Different folks, different strokes
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Private

nuNce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
I just don't see it as a pure and real wargaming to play a scenario a thousand times only to get that holy grail text "You get DECISIVE VICTORY".
That's why the game is supplied with random battle generator.
The point is "test your skill by fighting blind"
Same here. That's why I love the LC battles with over 40 turns to fight, retreat, counterattack, manouver. Playing a scenario twice for me loses half the fun, and feels to me like cheating. It's the same difference there is between playing a chess puzzle and a chess game. But many people like chess puzzles.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

You will find that many scenarios in the game are very difficult to achieve a decisive victory. I always encourage scenario designers to create ones that will challenge players with various skill levels and hopefully challenge them enough to play it over again. Because of the variables with the British Arty this one could be played over and over and never see the same thing quite the same way each time. Some scenarios you will find have victory conditions that simply say you win if you have more points at the end than the AI

Don

Last edited by DRG; January 8th, 2010 at 01:00 PM..
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM

First Lieutenant

As they say "competition is more important than winning." Not always achieve decisive victories. But taking aim for the best result in a scenario is good because it forces you to implement various tactics. In my case I implemented the detailed observation of the terrain, directions of attack options, such as using smoke among others. Being a short scene allows me to take me longer. Besides the manual is one of the scenarios that suggest to learn to play so my personal interest in this scenario. At the tutorial does not know how many times did the least to learn (and do not understand much English). Making the comparison with chess is like studying movements or famous plays jejeje.
I like the campaigns and battles in this game generated but the scenarios also have their own.
This is the beauty of the game. That has plenty of options. Everyone has the freedom to play as he pleases.
I'm learning to use more smoke and later the south and may participate in the battle and I will get my "DECISIVE VICTORY" jajajajaja ..
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

PBeM using this map anyone?
(So you say you're tough enough matey, come face me then! hehehehe ---sorry, no offence, it's a challenge --- )

Signed
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:26 PM

First Lieutenant

It would be interesting to play PBEM But this scenario should change the location of troops, but we know where to strike. I look complicated but if you do a meeting engagement
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:47 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
You will find that many scenarios in the game are very difficult to achieve a decisive victory. I always encourage scenario designers to create ones that will challenge players with various skill levels and hopefully challenge them enough to play it over again. Because of the variables with the British Arty this one could be played over and over and never see the same thing quite the same way each time. Some scenarios you will find have victory conditions that simply say you win if you have more points at the end than the AI

Don
I guess for me if i'm not playing person i'd rather play a user created scenario or campaigns there it's more like trying to defeat a more realistic force and who created it.

You have the challenge fighting more exp. seasoned troops vs the AI's that will always greenhorns.

Of course you could dial up favor for the AI, how many actually will do that?

And still it's not the same as the AI doesn't react in crucial situations the way a human does.

Nothing wrong playing the AI,though for testing and trials but don't let it go to ones head too much.

I guess i'm going too much,Sorry,if those two other players would get back on track wouldn't have the time to write this.
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Remember many scenerios certainly when attacking you do not start in best positions, more laid out as moving forward to find contact points. It often pays to reshuffle the lines so you can attack in force in one or two places & not across the whole front as you need local force superiority as the attacker to advance esp if they are dug in. Look at the map like you would if you deployed them & then work towards that, in this case I stayed out of trouble on turn 1 as was not ready & used 3HTs & 2 Stugs to transfer the group in the South North.