.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 10th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 11 Gavrus

That's it your there!

Just get rid of the hexgrids, a little distracting
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

Right. The next sack the hexes
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:01 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
It's really your preference on hex grid,some like them i don't use them,

I can understand why one would use them playing the game however.
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:24 AM

Private

JTullman is on a distinguished road

Yeah hex grid sucks for screen shots but I like it on when I play.
It reminds me of the good old Avalon Hill days.
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
It's really your preference on hex grid,some like them i don't use them,

I can understand why one would use them playing the game however.
Simple, Without The hex grid it's rather easy to click the wrong hex, i play with them on
Old March 29th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Private

Von_Gerland is on a distinguished road

Finally, I figured out how to win this. The most wonderous thing was that I finished just a few moments prior to a blackout in the whole building!
It works this way:

1. Take all your vehicles and move them to the other side of the river across the hexes ## 35,12 and 35, 13. The apc’s should take some of your infantry which starts in the north. It is important to avoid any contact with the enemy at this stage. This is your most important group so I’ll refer to it as the “assault force”.

2. Your infantry and heavy mg’s which start in the north but can’t be loaded into the apc’s move to the woods just north of the road, next to the bridge but stay on the west side of the river.

3. The bulk of your infantry in the south advances to the west or better northwest. Concentrate on the enemy positions to the north which are just south of the road. The enemy is tough, so when you approach you’ll mostly move 1 hex per turn. It is essential to use smoke and area fire. Even if you don’t see the enemy and have (almost) no chances to hit him, it is very important to pin him just to prevent him from firing at you. This biggest group won’t capture any objective hexes but you have to use it to distract the enemy so that he can’t concentrate on your assault group (which crosses the river). And you have to hope that the enemy uses his powerful artillery fire against it rather than against the assault group.

4. Once your assault group has crossed the river, the most difficult part begins. Move all your vehicles as closely as possible to the victory hexes. I know, this way you risk to lose them, but you are under heavy time pressure and you need many mp’s to enter the victory hexes. The enemy apc’s you can easily take out with your Stug’s. You’ll also have to find the right timing when to unload your apc’s: if you do it too early, your infantry might fall an easy pray to the hostile fire but if you take too long, your apc’s might be destroyed with all the passengers inside. And don’t forget about your recon teams which you receive as reinforcements. They are damn good marksmen!

Bottom line:
This scenario is really very difficult (the fourth one I’ve played in spww2). The enemy has a strong position, but since you are attacking him from three sides (the bulk of your infantry from the southwest, some infantry/mg squads from the northern woods and the assault force from the north/northeast on the east side of the river), it can be crushed. Especially when advancing with the assault force on the east bank, try to move far as possible and to lose as few units as possible. Especially the few infantry units in the assault force are in danger of being pinned/eliminated rather quickly. Yes, I know, it is much easier said than done, but after some tries you’ll get a good feeling how to proceed and remember that your mortars can fire smoke which will protect your vehicles from the enemy anti-tank guns.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me or to write a feedback. Hopefully, I could help, good luck!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Von_Gerland For This Useful Post:
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road

Thanks for bringing to attention this beautifully composed scenario, JTullman. I spent about eight attempts just to arrive at the general plan of action and then about twelve more to implement it well. My screenshots are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garvus-map.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	13568   Click image for larger version

Name:	garvus-stats.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	13569