.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:07 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: great work

Quote:
dirtywick said:
Nice PDF! I didn't even think of that. I'll probably end up recruiting them exclusively and using them that way, there's really no downside.
Read me fully ! They are somewhat weaker that the sword-only version, so there's a downside !

Q about Onis : I'm not that sure now that they're worth their cost...Even the small ones cost 50 gems to have 15-20 of them, and they're not that great. The big ones are really pricey, and the Tengus are all near-unusable because as other said you can't have a sizeable army of them, and they're not very powerful in small numbers...
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

I prefer not to summon oni's, i try to keep my gems for a few tough summons to back up my archer hordes and thugs/SC's which this nation has in no short supply.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:30 PM

Sergeant

dirtywick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PDF said:
Quote:
dirtywick said:
Nice PDF! I didn't even think of that. I'll probably end up recruiting them exclusively and using them that way, there's really no downside.
Read me fully ! They are somewhat weaker that the sword-only version, so there's a downside !

Q about Onis : I'm not that sure now that they're worth their cost...Even the small ones cost 50 gems to have 15-20 of them, and they're not that great. The big ones are really pricey, and the Tengus are all near-unusable because as other said you can't have a sizeable army of them, and they're not very powerful in small numbers...
I think they're OK.

One thing is they actually have 1.5x the hit points that are listed because they come back as ethereal after they're killed once. Most of them have special attacks or ranged attacks. The only area where almost all of them are hurting is prot, but when they're ethereal they're a lot harder to hit and they're quite a bit better overall statwise than most other ethereal units.

Taking Luck/Turmoil rarely leaves me hurting for gems either, most of the time, so the cost isn't that important.

And finally, their path requirements are really low when you look at other comparable summons. So while they're a bit gem expensive to mass, they're also very easy to mass.

All in all they're not bad.
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dirtywick said:

Quote:
And Turmoil for this nation is DEATH as this nation is very very very very very gold reliant! Order 3 is a must >_<!
I've actually had very good results most of the time. The tax collections/permantenly increase income are frequent enough most of the time to make up for the 21% as long as you can keep misfortune out of your provinces, and you get a lot of free gems too which is good because summoning onis can get expensive fast. Don't knock it 'til you try it, you might be surprised.

I hope you meant 42% because that's the income disparity. Which ... I won't be holding my breath for in terms of "being surprised".
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Sergeant

dirtywick is on a distinguished road

Right, right.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Private

Action is on a distinguished road

Nice post, however you might want to note that the Bakemono-sho all have 8 morale while the Bandit infantry have 10. Even those Bakemono-sho with the medium armor and a spear seem to rout really easily due to the 8 morale.
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Since they both have firing weapons I wonder if they can be mixed in a unit. The villains would offset the rout, and the boko would help defend if the archers were attacked
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM

Sergeant

tibbs is on a distinguished road

I think fire arrows and darkness really work great with the nation. All those cheap bakemono archers and almost all the units have darkvision.
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

I don't think I've seen this mentioned yet. The Shaman isn't the only stealthy mage Shinuyama has easy access to. The Uba can change form outside of battle, and that cat is stealthy. So you can bring a bit more firepower to battle by scripting her to change back from the panther..
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Corporal

Methel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Daynarr said:
Another suggestion for pretender.

Ghost King:

Scales - Order 3, Sloth 3, Heat 2, Growth 1, Misfortune 1, Drain 2.
Dominion strength 10.
Magic: All paths except blood at level 3.
Only 4 design point left.

What you have here is SC/Rainbow mage pretender with good scales that will allow you to buy enough troops until he gets free. When he arrives, you have a powerfull SC with fear/awe combo (enhance both with items) that can cast many buffs on himself, make most magic items to equip and really rock in battle.
When needed he can also look for magic sites although this shouldn't be his primary task.
This one is good for both MP and SP games.
Edited to avoid confusion.
Astral 3 on a SC? isnt that a bit iffy?