winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Closed Thread

Old June 8th, 2019, 11:42 AM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road
Default Major Novskov in the Game Guide

Will the developers please verify their sources about the person of major Novskov, to whom they refer with regard to the Soviet tank tactics in the battle of Berlin. There is no such Russian surname. Is it, perhaps, commander of the 7th guards tank corps general-major Vasily Vasilievich Novikov, whose tanks stormed the German capital?

Last edited by Anton; June 8th, 2019 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old June 8th, 2019, 04:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jamor Novskov in the Game Guide

Are you seriously complaining about a one letter difference in a Russian name

SERIOUSLY ?

Did you even bother to click on the link to lonesentry we provided in the GG and read the original for yourself ??

Soviet Tanks in City Fighting - Red Army tactics in Battle of Berlin (IB, 6/46)
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/sovtanks/index.html

Apparently NOT

from link checked five minutes ago
Quote:

.."his basic plan was, of course, subject to variation. Depending upon a number of elements, such as the nature of the enemy fortifications, the enemy power of resistance, and the composition of the attacking elements, the tank battalion can attack along two or three streets. Major Novskov asserts that it is better to attack along three streets......
We added that as commentary that might be of use to players. Do you expect us to check the spelling of every Name that might be mentioned in case one letter MIGHT be wrong?

This "complaint" is flirting with Trolling behaviour

The spelling of that officers name is also repeated here

https://books.google.ca/books?id=PLr...ovskov&f=false

and as well a google search of "Novskov" turns up 1,110 results so maybe there is " no such Russian surname" ( and maybe there is and you are wrong ) but for a name that doesn't exist 1100 results is a lot and strangly enough there is a Petr Novskov on facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/petr.novskov ) and from what I can see he certainly seems to be Russian ( but how could he...... that surname does not "exist" according to you )

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; June 8th, 2019 at 05:01 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 8th, 2019, 08:01 PM

Corporal

Anton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Are you seriously complaining about a one letter difference in a Russian name
I am not complaining, but indicating a possible error, and yes, I am serious. I became interested in your source and wanted to read it in the original Russian.

Quote:
Did you even bother to click on the link to lonesentry we provided in the GG and read the original for yourself ??
Sorry, but I overlooked that link.
Quote:
We added that as commentary that might be of use to players. Do you expect us to check the spelling of every Name that might be mentioned in case one letter MIGHT be wrong?
Not at all. I am asking specifically about Novskov.

Quote:
The spelling of that officers name is also repeated here
https://books.google.ca/books?id=PLr...ovskov&f=false

and as well a google search of "Novskov" turns up 1,110 results so maybe there is " no such Russian surname" ( and maybe there is and you are wrong ) but for a name that doesn't exist 1100 results is a lot and strangly enough there is a Petr Novskov on facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/petr.novskov ) and from what I can see he certainly seems to be Russian ( but how could he...... that surname does not "exist" according to you )
It is very likely a misspelling. I have just checked the book by Pavlov, K.F., Romanskov, P.G., and Novskov, A.A., Primery i zadachi po kursu protsessov i apparatov khimicheskoi tekhnologii (Examples and Problems for a Course on Chemical-Industry Processes and Equipment), 1961, and The Russian original has Noskov.

I have checked the 1945 Red Star issues from April 22nd through May 24rd, and although it has many articles about street fighting there is none by Noskov, Novikov, or Novskov. Unfortunately, my archive ends here, so cannot check the rest of 1945 and 1946.

Quote:
This "complaint" is flirting with Trolling behaviourp
The only reason for this post is that I wanted to find the original article, to which the correct spelling of the author's name would be very conductive.

I was, by the way, pleasantly surprised to find Paul Arman in command of a tank attack against Nationalist-held suburb of Madrid on the 23rd of October, 1936 in one of WinSPWW2 scenarios. The game's attention to historical names is great.
Old June 8th, 2019, 08:51 PM

Private

mccarty.geoff is on a distinguished road

Seems like a pretty trashy publication:
https://archive.org/download/1946-06...ceBulletin.pdf
No bibliography, footnotes, or even authorship. Just a fan fiction rag. Novskov is a Slovene surname.
Old June 9th, 2019, 08:52 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Jamor Novskov in the Game Guide

We had provided the original link to lonesentry years ago when we first posted that as it provided some interesting insight. Had I known then I would be wasting time on the Officers name I would never have added that to the GG. This whole thread is a study in nitpicking.

1. We did not write the original article, we just provided a re-print of it for player interest.

2. We did not cross-check every last detail for accuracy

3. Given the battle in Berlin was Nazi Germany vs the Soviet Union and not just "Russia" it is not beyond the realms of possibility that a Slovene could be serving in the Red Army or even that someone from Slovenia might have emigrated to the Soviet Union, joined the Red Army and did not "Russianize" his surname.

4. I have no idea where the original Russian version could be as ...again.. we had nothing to do with producing it only providing it as interesting reading for players but translating Cyrillic script into any other language can always result in slight variations in spelling especially for surnames and that might be how that name came to be spelt that way or see 3 above

5. Yes there is also a possibility that the whole account is fictional but a version of that account using that officers name appears in a book Gotterdammerung: The last days of the Wehrmacht in the East edited by Bob Carruthers

https://books.google.ca/books?id=13K...ovskov&f=false

....but that does not mean 100% it is true and accurate just that the Novskov's name was used in a publication that was published AFTER we put that link in the GG and note that Bob Carruthers is an "Emmy Award winning author and historian" according to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Gotterdammeru.../dp/B00QJA90GU

So you should be taking this question up with Lonesentry and Bob Carruthers NOT Camo Workshop

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; June 9th, 2019 at 10:02 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread