.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 20th, 2015, 10:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Campaign Scenario Setup Help - France

Thing is... I am not particularly sure if I want to withdraw from this position. Plus as far as I remember, frenchies had to break out from nearly enclosed siege and they did it with help of some Indian unit attacking Germans from the other direction.

So - unless you enjoy to do otherwise - I would make a battle or two out of Bir Hakeim, and then proceed to El Alamein. I can do Africa for a while. Your deployment makes it always interesting.

My tempo may slow down a little bit, as it was now. Running SPMBT tournament steals quite a time. Join if you like, NATO position is open :P
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:12 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road

No thanks, I'm not interested in modern warfare at all I'm afraid.

Quote:
The evacuation order has come and we are preparing to retreat to the south and link up with British forces. Bitter, but we did give them one hell of a fight.
We will break out at night, after our engineers have cleared a gap through the minefield. Then we will have to move fast, before the Germans get wise to what is happening. They ave established a siege perimeter around the fort, including minefields and wire.

- Deploy your forces within the perimeter
- Reach the evac zone with as many forces as possible
Attached Files
File Type: zip France.zip (59.0 KB, 68 views)
Old October 9th, 2015, 04:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

OK, I would be generally back to it. I will do my best with the last save I have and will give you further action shortly.
Old October 9th, 2015, 10:47 PM

First Lieutenant

Cool. Before we continue with El Alamein it would be good to get an idea of how many forces you have.
Old October 10th, 2015, 08:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

You mean percentage strength of entire battalion?
Old October 10th, 2015, 05:01 PM

First Lieutenant

Generally what kind of forces you have and what kind of tanks, I need a refresher on that.
Old October 12th, 2015, 11:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

OK, I have finish that battle once again.
This time my HQ survived.

As I reminder, I currently have French infantry battalion with British gear, reinforced with tank company (Crusader) and sort of recon squadron with armoured cars and motorcycles.
I am currently trying to break out of Bir Hakeim. Losses in my battalion probably exceed 50%, I have lots of wounded squads transported by any trucks I can muster, including captured ones. Due to cheaty AI artillery (please don't use it in such scenarios!) I have lost lot of hardware this battle, including AA and AT guns.
Generally, my situation looks really really bad, but I keep pushing. I have to, there is no other choice.
Attached Files
File Type: zip frenchmen.zip (119.7 KB, 57 views)
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:14 PM

First Lieutenant

What do you mean by "cheaty artillery"? BTW, I think the patching might have desynchronised us, I see some vehicles called "Humber III" that have a placeholder icon instead of proper graphics and french weapons. Any idea?
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

Patch desynchronised indeed. I will upgrade those vehicles later, so it should be OK.

About artillery: AI has "magic eye" when comes to artillery. They will target your units even if they do not technically "see" them. When any sort of arty is available to the AI, it is damn hard - and just annoying/unjust - to use any motorized, non armoured unit. I have lost those guns at the very back of my formation even though these could not be seen by the Germans. AI simply magically sees trucks standing there and targets those. You loose ****load of good stuff, what is obviously not happening in eg. PBEM.
You can test it for yourself. If enemy artillery is not busy with the direct frontline, they will target positions where your units are magically deployed. That way you can loose follow-on fores that did not enter combat etc.
Old October 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

The Developers have been at great pains to point out that this is just flatly NOT the case! There is no "magic artillery". The AI plots based on a slew of stuff which piques its interest: roads, movement, dust clouds, VPs, artillery smoke, etc and occasionally a bit of random guesswork -JUST LIKE A HUMAN WOULD!

If you have stuff being targeted that you are convinced hasnt been seen then perhaps it is reasonably close to a VP, artillery fire, etc or was seen by a scout you havent detected - or you were REALLY unlucky...

Worth reading the FAQ = "WHY HAS THE GAME BEEN PROGRAMMED WITH ALL KNOWING "BORG" AI ARTILLERY" and the release notes.

I certainly dont find that "...They will target your units even if they do not technically "see" them. When any sort of arty is available to the AI..." and whilst I haven't much PBEM experience I would say AI no better than a human opponent.

There is also a reason Napoleon called artilery the "empress of the battlefield" and believed "God is on the side with the best artillery".

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod