.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 21st, 2017, 07:27 PM

Corporal

lukerduker123 is on a distinguished road
Default Craters/Damage not showing

Alright, this has been nagging me for awhile, but I've been far too lazy to really bring this up (And it might've been solved, who knows).

The thing is, I want to create a map that has battle damage. Yeah, that's all fine and good, we see that all the time. So I create that map, I build a scenario around it, and then I go "You know what, maybe this would be a good X vs Y map". So I save the scenario I made, open up a new scenario, import the map.. Aaanndd the craters and damage are all gone. Well, the visuals are gone. The game itself still shows the hex as 'clear hole' or 'rough' and such like that. The graphics just aren't displayed, which is really, really odd.

Am I the only one with this issue, or has it been fixed, or is it one of those issues that everyone except for me knows about? I've yet to see any other post on this, so I'm generally curious if I'm the only one suffering from this. Any solutions to this?
The Following User Says Thank You to lukerduker123 For This Useful Post:
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:47 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Craters/Damage not showing

You can load a map and damage it in a scenario, since scenarios have units, which damage is a sub-set of, same with mines, victory hexes etc. But if a map is saved to a map slot, it doesn't have any units there since its not part of a scenario.

That's about all I recollect on the matter regarding maps.

It should be stripping all the information when saved off as a map though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:22 PM

Corporal

So if I was to save it without any units I can keep on using the map then? It's strange, because there's quite a few maps that already show damage while still being, well, maps. Examples include 012 Beirut and 267 Libava. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I'm just curious if an update did this, because I swear back in version five or six I leave damage specific to a map.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:52 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong then - though I recall some problem with saving maps from scenarios with troops deployed, that left the ID tags.

So i just tried saving a map with shell holes and exiting the editor. On loading they were gone, but reported still on a mouse over. But the Beirut map made eons ago has shell holes. But if I load Beirut and save it, exit the editor and re-enter it then reload the saved to a temp file version - the shell holes have been removed. So something has changed in the last 10 years, and needs looking at.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 12:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Yah know it would have been REAL HELPFULL to have known about this WHEN IT WAS FIRST DETECTED instead of a week before the patch release....... WHY would you sit on this and not say anything ??
Old February 22nd, 2017, 01:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Craters/Damage not showing

OK....... there is a bug......there is also an easy workaround that will have to do until we can figure out the bug

ATM you cannot save a "map" with battle damage but you can save a "scenario" with a battle damaged map and even though that battle damaged map has phantom shell holes there is a work around.

The custom editor will clear damage from the map.....so if you have "phantom" holes you clear them away with the custom editor then you start building your scenario........ you load the map....... PUT THE DAMAGE IN..... then SAVE as a scenario.... you can reload it at any time and buy and deploy troops AND THE DAMAGE ( and the graphics of the damage ) STAYS IN you can do that any amount of times and the damage will always show as long as it's saved as a scenario .....but not a map.......if it's saved as a map the graphics are stripped away which IS a bug but as long as you build the map and save as a scenario each time as you develop it the damage will stay on the map...... save the map as a map and the graphics of damage are stripped ..so don't do that until we fix this ( whenever that may be )

BUT.....if if you have a map saved and it's showing phantom damage reporting as holes you cannot see---you can strip all the damage away so nothing remains but pristine countryside with the custom editor....then put it back in and it will remain on the map AS LONG AS IT'S SAVED AS A SCENARIO

Don
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 22nd, 2017, 12:04 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Yah know it would have been REAL HELPFULL to have known about this WHEN IT WAS FIRST DETECTED instead of a week before the patch release....... WHY would you sit on this and not say anything ??
Apologies for that man. I don't like explaining things that are just down to me being a lazy sod, but essentially whenever I'd go to work I'd have this on the back computer (With no internet of course). Every time I'd remember to submit it I had to wait to get home, and by then, naturally, being the moron I am I forget things. Apologies for that.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 02:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I have narrowed the problem to March 2013 before that the damaged graphics were saved, after that no........ and although you *may* have been a bit reticent in mentioning you noticed a problem you still get a default "attaboy!" for being THE ONLY ONE WHO DID.

IF Andy finds something obvious like a missing { or } then we will fix it for this patch......but ONLY if we are 100% certain fixing it won't bugger something else as this is obviously a non issue for 99.999% of players

There is, after all.. a workaround

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The problem has been identified but would require new code written then thoroughly tested to ensure there were no hidden gotchas and that is NOT going to happen at this stage for a "bug" that took 4 years to be reported.

The "good news" is we know why it happened, the problem is to fix this involves a lot more than just a missing }
Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:27 PM

Captain

RecruitMonty is on a distinguished road
Beer Re: Craters/Damage not showing

I noticed this too. Didn't say anything about it because it always happened when I was importing a map from SPWW2 into MBT. I therefore assumed it might simply be a compatibility issue specific to SPWW2.
I've noticed that loading the "autosave" version of a map you have worked on ("bombed", in this case) using the dedicated map editor tool once you are actually building the scenario itself (purchasing units etc.) seems to be another way to get around this problem.
Another thing I've noticed is that when you buy new units in the scenario editor after you've deployed some units already in a manner where they face in any direction other than the default left or right (depending on p1 and p2 "facing" settings, of course) this then leads to all the units facing in the default direction again when you go back to deploy the new additions.
No idea if this is a bug though.

Last edited by RecruitMonty; February 23rd, 2017 at 12:34 PM..