winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 3rd, 2019, 03:40 PM

Corporal

anlubue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infantry class differences, MG fire modes while delaying

Thanks mate!

I thought that a platoon leader, corporal or so, gets more points in a promotion than an officer. So that a lower rank who has participated in many battles and rose to major for instance, in the end has better values than the major who is bought in the beginning.

That's why I only bought the ones that I thought were the lowest tier.

Last edited by anlubue; April 3rd, 2019 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: big-mouthed denigration of a friendly nation
Old April 3rd, 2019, 04:55 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
A0 rallies all but goes to Company 1 HQ, 2 HQ, 3 HQ, etc. cross-attached platoons/sections go reverse <- Company 1 etc. then back to A0 etc.
That A0 unit can be funny sometimes. Depending on how much you cross-attach units to different companies that A0 unit can end up with only a handful of units it can rally during a battle. Of course, you can only really count on being guaranteed one rally attempt per unit anyways, up to three, depending on how many valid x0 units are with 5 hexes of the unit you're trying to rally (and if those x0 units are even still able to rally another unit that turn to begin with).
Old April 3rd, 2019, 07:55 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

If your English is okay read the game guide it will give you a lot of info to make you a better player as you will understand how things work.
Old April 4th, 2019, 02:39 AM

Sergeant

sigeena is on a distinguished road

As I mentioned earlier, I like to play around the Inf Bn, so my set-up usually is as such

A0- CO
B0- Weapons/ Hvy Coy OC (Possibly FOO)
C0- Mortar Pl
D0- HMG Pl
E0- HMG Pl
F0- Inf Coy OC
G0- Inf Pl
H0- Inf Pl
I0- Inf Pl
J0- Inf Coy OC
K0- Inf Pl
L0- Inf Pl
M0- Inf Pl
N0- Inf Coy OC
O0- Inf Pl
P0- Inf Pl
Q0- Inf Pl

This is quite a versatile set-up, and depending on mission type, I'll add Engineers if Assault, some light armour if Advance, and AT guns if Defend or Delay. On Assault and Advance, the HMGs Pl will be attached to the Inf Coy OCs for better C&C.
The Following User Says Thank You to sigeena For This Useful Post:
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:58 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
If your English is okay read the game guide it will give you a lot of info to make you a better player as you will understand how things work.
For my answer please read Ephesians 5:20 [Giving thanks always for all things ...]

I wonder if it makes sense to start a campaign game with lowest tier infantry squads instead of more experienced ones? I am persistent, although the question is actually not that important so I would have to ask it several times. Because of your question if my English is good enough? Sometimes it is difficult. Many things in Gme Guide I have to read several times, but I try to get better.

Please write back because you are an experienced player.
Old April 4th, 2019, 10:47 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

It would help to know what era interests you.

For example if your interested in say the British in North Africa you could do something like:

WW2 Long CG Setup
Player 1: Great Britain
Change Start Date to February 1941
Set preferences to at least 3000 Battle Points (you don't have to spend them all) and the map to say 70x70 (or if you want a smaller one 50x50)

Select North Africa

Purchase (just a suggestion):

A0 British HQ (you)

HQ Company:
B0 = FOO Vehicle (Dingo AOP) <- Be vary careful with this unit, you want him to survive to gain experience so as to get better.
C = Mortar Platoon (3in Mortar Sec)
D = AT-Gun Troop/T (2 Pdr AT-Gun, Light Lorry)
E = AA-Gun Section (40mm Boofors)

F = Rifle Company (select the 2nd Medium Infantry unit with the Boys AT-Rifle and for the Infantry selection pick the one with the LMG)
J = Patrol+ (this will be cross attached to the F rifle company)
K = Engineer Pl (this will be cross attached to the F rifle company)
L = Machinegun PL (this will be cross attached to the F rifle company)
M = Valentine Troop (this will be cross attached to the F rifle company)

That will cost about 1021 points and give you a nice small company sized force to trash about with.

You don't need to buy conscripts and have them updated over time, most first line units will gain experience if they survive over time. Same with 'elite' units, such as pioneers or engineers, they generally start off at the national level for their ratings and it takes time to get them to more experienced levels.

Recommend you start off smallish with a company or two.
Old April 4th, 2019, 01:01 PM

Corporal

Thanks a lot, Zovs. I have no idea about the time and no preferences about a era. I thought it would be okay to play a campaign as a German, so I could at least learn that SdKfZ is the abbreviation for Sonderkraftfahrzeug or what else there is to know. Actually, I enjoyed playing with different states. But now I would like to see my troops getting better and better throughout a campaign. When my vacation is over, I want to start with it. My plan is to understand as much as possible from gameplay till then, because afterwards I will hardly have the time. But hopefully, to play my campaign!

I thought it would be good if I started with a map size of 40x60 or 80, so that I am not too overwhelmed?

I would like to upgrade my A0 later to a FOO unit, if that makes sense and renounce artillery as a core force. I imagined that on narrow, long maps, the paths to the enemy is probably only on a street in the middle. I hope with 40 Height, I could either bypass the enemies or fight a bloody fight with losses if my troops going straight towards them?

"You don't need to buy conscripts and have them updated over time, most first line units will gain experience if they survive over time."
I will heed that! If I give up temporary troops, my units will gain experience faster, yes?
Old April 4th, 2019, 01:17 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

A 40x60 sized map with say 1000-2000 points would do you fine.

My opinion and I highly suggest don't and never upgrade your A0 to anything, he has special status as a HQ unit. He can call (Spot) Arty and Air. I repeat leave the A0 alone.

I have been playing this game for over 20 years and I don't recommend updating upgrading or chainging your A0.

I recommend at least reading through the tutorial and also if you left click in the game guide on: Game Play Notes (or search Ctl+F) and read that section to help you out.

I also have created many good starter scenarios (check the guide under the tutorial section for beginning scenarios list).
Old April 4th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Try something small and a generated campaign not the Long campaign... not tiny but maybe a Company of tanks or a couple of platoons... and 2-3 Companies of infantry along with a few mortars....maybe 1500 points. Start it September 1939 let it run to October 1939 and set it for 10 battles. Set your map to 40x60 and try it on the easy setting for a start

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 4th, 2019, 01:38 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlubue View Post
I would like to upgrade my A0 later to a FOO unit, if that makes sense

I would like to re-iterate what Zovs66 said: NEVER change your A0! Buy a dedicated FO as your first troop purchase (B0) - he is easier to find that way. Then purchase your company(ies)

A couple of Tips:

Remember if two or more of your troops can autofire/reaction fire/opfire the one with the lowest identifier will fire first. (ie C3 an infantry section and E1 a tank can both op fire at an advancing tank, the infantry will fire first [assuming range, weapons, etc].

A dedicated company / platoon structure gives much better rally and command for your boys

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post: