.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 6th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who likes a scout as first prophet?

I find that Sermon of Courage + Smite is valuable enough that I usually prophetize my starting commander instead of patrolling on the first turn. I usually don't prophetize the scout unless it's vital that I get more gold on the first turn (thus, patrolling + prophet is required), which is for gold-hungry nations like Niefelheim. Even so I am usually dissatisfied with the scout prophet--it just doesn't seem thematic in many cases.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Sergeant

Salamander8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sombre said:
Depends on the nation. One thing is for sure; you shouldn't wait too long to make a prophet.
Agreed. I'm guilty of waiting too long at times myself, but certain nations I really like to make a big expensive commander as my prophet. This is both for survivability and of course the cost issue. Mind Lords are a prime example for me. They are not normally sacred and at 420 a pop that's 28 gold to maintain one of these big fishies! It takes a couple of turns to get one of these guys out though.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

The prophet always goes to a commander or expensive powerful mage... never the scout. I usually select the starting commander about 70% of the time. One benefit of a prophet is the upkeep is removed.

Also I'm usually able to get my prophet into the hall of fame even for MP games, thus if he survives awhile and then dies I can use ritual of rebirth. The ritual of rebirth is more worthwhile on a someone who returns with magic paths plus H3.

I guess for scout types with high stealth the prophet trait can be useful long term.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Major

Tuidjy is on a distinguished road

It depends.

If my nation has a level 3 priest, I will recruit one and prophetize him, so that I
end up with a level 4 holy caster.

If I can recruit really powerful commanders, like for example Niefelheim's Jarls,
or Tir-Na-Nog's Sidhe lords, I will prophetize those, and use them as thugs.

If my starting leader commander has low encumberance, I will prophetize him,
rather than the scout, for the better stats and multiple uses.

If none of the above is true, the scout is my choice.
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Sergeant

Fal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tuidjy said:
or Tir-Na-Nog's Sidhe lords, I will prophetize those, and use them as thugs.
There really isn't any point of prophetizing Sidhe lords, apart from arrow fend and mistform, bless should be the first spell any sidhe lords cast

Anyways, Generally I do like prophetizing my scouts on the first turn unless I'm playing a nation with lvl3 priests. The other commander is normally set to patrol province while I set tax to 140%, of course this is not always the case. I don't see why should one prophetize a normal commander, the scout prophet can still join battle if you choose to, they are more flexible as they can hide, and will probably accumulate some afflications by the end of the expansion phase, just send him to a suicide mission once you have a better candidate. This strategy has worked out very well for me so far.
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

It's a trade off.
A commander prophet is more resistant to stray arrows and the like. I also can't count the number of times I've had scout prophets sneak along with the army and thus miss the battle, so the flexibility can bite you.

Mostly I like to have the scout early on, so I can find out who's off in one direction at least. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find indy scouts early. In my last MP game it was almost a year before I had any. EA is especially bad.
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:22 PM

General

Quote:
Fal said:

I don't see why should one prophetize a normal commander, the scout prophet can still join battle if you choose to, they are more flexible as they can hide, and will probably accumulate some afflications by the end of the expansion phase,
Reasons to choose the starting commander:

Many starting commanders have an upkeep of 5 or higher... this may not seem like much yet after 20_turns that's 100_gold. The scout has an upkeep of barely above 1.

Most starting commanders have better stats and equipment than the starting scout. One lucky arrow can strike the scout unless the scout is stashed way in the back. The starting commanders(some mounted) have shields allowing more flexibiltiy with where they can stand in battle and how they participate in battle.

Scouts have stealth yet they also have some negative traits such as zero leadership and poor equipment. The Markata scout has very good stealth where it would be worth considering for a dominion kill on a neighbor, the typical 10 stealth doesn't justify worthiness of being a prophet in my view.

Quote:

just send him to a suicide mission once you have a better candidate. This strategy has worked out very well for me so far.
Ideally you don't want your prophet dead for any amount of turns because his very existence promotes your dominion.
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road

Does prophetizing a unit remove its upkeep?
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM

General

Quote:
DonCorazon said:
Does prophetizing a unit remove its upkeep?
yes
Old June 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fal said:
There really isn't any point of prophetizing Sidhe lords, apart from arrow fend and mistform, bless should be the first spell any sidhe lords cast

Although it can be really annoying when a self-blesser misses himself in his blessing. Argh! Prophetizing would remove that possibility.

One reason I usually don't prophetize the scout is that he's usually the only scout I have for much of the first year, until I find indy scouts. My capital is busy building other stuff.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]