.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road
Default The Misadventures of the Missed Adventurers

:::A dusty road winds it's way through a dark and dangerous stretch of woods. down this road staggers the figure of a fighter. as this figure draws closer, it can be seen that his condition is bad. his armor, leather with studs, bears rips and tears while his sheath is tattered and worn. the sword handle itself is in like condition, and the bow strung accross his back looks as if it would have trouble launching a single arrow. his boots show toes through an opening on the front, and their heels are long gone. the figure itself is hunched over and limping, with an equally ragged pack over his back. The features cannot be made out, as the setting sun is obscured by the surounding trees.
:::Ahead, the haggard individual makes out a clearing and his steps quicken, drawn by the promise of rest. Breaking off the branches that dangle by the road, he approaches and enters the clearing. habitualy finding a spot in the middle of the clearing, where he can watch for danger from all sides, he drops the wood on the ground and drops himself there, whatever energy had kept him upright seemingly spent.
:::Sparks flash of off flint and steel, and soon a glow is spreading over the fuel and the character can be seen to be putting a flask back into his pack. taking, out of the same pack, something that may be a skinned hare, he picks one of the longer and sharper stick out of the edges of the fire, and skewers the meat. taking, also, two forked sticks out of the fire and beating the flames out on the ground, he sets up his scant meal over the fire.

ooc:[woah, i didn't know i could write that good. it sure sounded good when i was writing it, anyway. maybe other people, pehaps lost in the woods, perhaps on the road, will be drawn by the glow of the fire? i saved that one on my computer. ok, i look through it on the forum and it needs paragraphs and everything seems to end to abrubtly. but i didn't know i could first-draft, flow of thought that good. ok, some paragraphs. lets see now...my space disapeared, so i used : doesn't look to bad. as this is the first DO roleplay, all characters should be low-level]

[ June 21, 2003, 01:13: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:12 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Misadventures of the Missed Adventurers

Sitting in my humble camp by the waters edge, I watch as the sun sets behind the trees on the far side of the river. As darkness begins to engulf the forest and the moon peeks over the horizon sending white sparkles dancing across the river, I notice a flock of birds spring into the sky startled by something. I scan the surroundings and see a gentle glow eminating from within the forest. I find it strange that someone would make a campfire in the middle of the woods when there is a river so close by. I decide to go take a look at who might be there, before I go I give my stew a stir and check my makeshift oven to see how the fresh bread is comming along. Satisfied that I have enough time to make the short trek I head off into the woods walking towards the soft glow.

As I approach the edge of the clearing I notice a hunched man sitting beside the fire and I must say he sure looks the worse for wear. In a gentle voice I hail the stranger and ask if he is in need of assistance. The man barely has the energy to acknowledge my presence, I tell him that my camp is just a short way from here and that I have a stew and fresh bread cooking and ask if he would like to join me. "It's not good to camp in such an open space, you leave yourself vunerable to attack, come, join me friend. My camp has much better shelter and I would welcome the company."

I wait for the weary adventurer to make his decision,..
Old June 3rd, 2003, 09:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

[ooc: reply to follow once narf's brain starts working. just woke up. in the meantime, i probably should have said these woods are very dangerous, why my post was all gloomy and this is close to my first roleplay. weeee!]

the mention of food energises narpichez (nar-pitch-ez) and he heaves himself to his feet. "well, i was hoping to see trouble before it saw me. don't know why i didn't hear that river, though" he says. (ooc: cause he was dead tired and it wasn't right in front of him) "i could use a bite. lets put this out and go. have enough room to cook a rabbit to?" "yes.", answers the stranger. after retrieving his rabbit, they put out the fire by simply scooping dirt over it. as they head through the woods to the riverside, narf says "name's narpitchez. to long. call me narp. what's yours? and what brings you to these woods? decide it couldn't be that dangerous, to?" he cracks a grin.

weeee! what do you think?

[ June 21, 2003, 01:14: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Old June 3rd, 2003, 11:51 PM

Corporal

Akachaki is on a distinguished road

This is a great idea , we should creat a real topic only for roleplay, with a name like The Tavern or something like that..
Old June 4th, 2003, 12:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

this is a roleplay topic. please read it before posting.
Old June 4th, 2003, 12:44 AM

General

"Just call me 'D', and I didn't come to these woods, they came to me." Narp glances at me and looks a bit puzzled by my words. "I guess you didn't notice that these woods are filled with a strange magic." they enter D's camp and Narp is quick to notice the wonderful smell of the stew and fresh bread "mmm, the stew and bread smells great, have a seat, I'll bring you some." Narp is too weary to argue and for some strange reason he feels he can trust this stranger. "A few days ago this was a quiet meadow, then the forest began to move in and late yesterday afternoon the river you see before you bubbled out of the ground." I hand Narp a full plate of stew and half of the loaf of fresh bread. "I believe that the 'Makers' are playing with the land and have some devious plan in the works. I don't know what our role will be, but I do not believe we are here by chance." Narp and 'D are startled to feel the earth shaking and are amazed to see a mountain begin rising out of the ground on the oposite side of the river. "It must be the 'Makers' who else can shape the land at will and cause this kind of chaos? What do you think Narp?"...

[ June 03, 2003, 23:46: Message edited by: David E. Gervais ]
Old June 4th, 2003, 01:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

ooc:[the reason? to tired to care. if your a bandit, at least i get a meal out of it.]
"i think we better hope no mountain rises out of the ground here. thanks for the food." narp sets up his rabbit over the fire. "i guess i came in with the woods, because i've been walking in them for 5 days it seems. or maybe time was distorted and it was only 30 minutes."

ooc:[
map as off now:

ttttttttttttt=tttt\tttttttttttMMMMM
ttttttttttttt=tttt/tttttttttttMMMMM
ttttttttttttt=tttt/ttttttttttMMMMMM
ttttttttttttt=tttt|ttttttttttMMMMMM
tttttttttttttOtttN|ttttttttttMMMMMM
tttttttttttt=tttttt\ttttttttttMMMMM
tttttttttttt=tttttt/ttttttttttMMMMM
ttttttttttt=tttttt/ttttttttttttMMMM
ttttttttttt=tttttt|ttttttttttttMMMM
tttttttttt=ttttttt|tttttttttttttMMM

O - old camp
N - new camp
/|\ river
= road
how's that look?]

[ June 04, 2003, 09:17: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Old June 4th, 2003, 12:28 PM

General

..after having a good meal and some idle chit chat the two adventurers welcome a good nights sleep. 'D is the first to wake and when he opens his eyes all he sees is a very thick fog. In fact he has trouble seeing his hands at the end of his outstretched arms. The forest (if it is still there) is deathly silent. He has never seen a fog this thick, it is very disorienting. He tries to stand and looses his balance and topples over. 'D gets on his knees and slowly stands up,.. As he rises the fog seems to get thinner, and once he is standing fully upright he is greeted by a very eerie sight. the thick fog stops at about 4 feet off the ground and everything above it is clear. Havig something to focus his eyes on helps to clear the feeling of disorientation. It is very strange to look down and see the bottom half of your body disapear into the dense fog. 'D calls to Narp,.. "Narp, wake up, the land has been engulfed in 'DwarvenFog',..
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narp wakes up, much restored after a night's sleep. {dwarvenfog?} he thinks. then he opens his eyes. "looks more like soupfog". narp stands up, takes a look around and says "well, at least we're not short on problems. this forest looks pretty stable, but it's dangerous to. i lost my shield to some wolves a few days or maybe, well, i lost it sometime. that was about the third wolf pack. i think i got attacked by eight or nine wolf packs. however, we've been here all night and nothings happened. if we leave this forest, i think we could end up anywhere. what do you think?"
some rumbling sounds are heard from the north. a plain extends itself from pehaps a days walk away, then grows a few hills. none of that is visible, though. and rumbling sounds from far of are kind of common.

[ June 04, 2003, 21:08: Message edited by: narf poit chez BOOM ]
Old June 5th, 2003, 12:54 PM

General

"Dwarvenfog is a nasty side effect that only happens when there are massive changes occuring within the ground. It's very dangerous. You don't seem to be bothered by it, it must be your first experience with Dwarvenfog. Well let me tell you friend, when the very land beneath your feet can change at any second and you can't see what you're walking on, it can be deadly. For instance, do you hear the water splashing up against the shoreline? Neither do I, but it was when we went to bed. So I ask you, is the river still there? Has it been replaced? Is it safe to cross? Is it perhaps now a lava river? Maybe it's been replaced with a chasm, and if we try to walk in that direction we will fall to our deaths. Ever hear of Quicksand?, and that's not all the danger, you mentionned wolves, well they are not tall enough to see over the fog so they will most certainly be fearfull if not pannicked and will surely attack any sound they hear. They are not the only dangerous creatures that cannot see due to the fog. No my friend, Dwarvenfog is nothing to take lightly, but you do not seem worried, so I'll let you take the lead..."

'D' kneels down in the fog and feels around to find his gear. Narp was looking the other way and when he turned to look at 'D' found himself all alone. Then he heard noises down and to the left of him, before he could react 'D' stood up with his gear in hand. Narp almost jumped out of his skin. "Here Narp, you'll need this." 'D' hands Narp a decent pair of leather boots that he pulled out of his backpack. "I noticed Last night that your boots were too worn to be of much use."

Narp notices that 'D is wearing a dark blue robe and now has a staff in his right hand, hmmm I guess 'D is a wizard, I must have been too tired to notice Last night.

ooc: I wonder if anyone will join in this little adventure?

Cheers!