.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 16th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Sergeant

Beorne is on a distinguished road
Default [OT] Roguelikes?

I was an avid player of Adom and Nethack (and the Slash'em fork in a minor way) in the good ol' days. Now both these projects seems to be in a "freezing" status.

Reading some posts in ths forum I learned about Dwarf Fortreass (very intriguing, but too much complex for me) and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, a roguelike with lot of very interesting and "modern" conepts.

Could you hint me some good (and actively supported) roguelikes?
Thanks.

Last edited by Beorne; February 16th, 2009 at 04:38 PM..
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [OT] Roguelikes?

Have you tried Incursion?

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Have you looked into some of Shrapnels games? Such as Scallywag?

Have you looked into MUDs? They are Rogue as multiplayer. They come in all flavors so you are bound to find one you like.
I wouldnt call it "supported" but I do still host a DnD mud called Shadowdale. SDmud.org port 7777

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 16th, 2009, 01:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Dungeon Crawl is awesome.

Incursion tries to use Dungeons and Dragons rules (3rd edition), and it seems to work. It has very nice dungeons. You have to actually sleep to regain hitpoints or spellpoints, but thankfully you can camp together with the other adventurers.
There are lots of spells and lots of feats and lots of choices, which makes character generation quite complicated.

DoomRL is pretty good, especially with the sounds on. It's Doom 1 as a roguelike, with Doom1 music/sounds, random levels and blood spatters and explosions and lots of fun stuff.

Dwarf Fortress is absurdly complicated, and awesome in its complexity. I haven't played it for a while, because there aren't any actual gameplay goals in it ATM, but I still read about the new stuff. "Today was compound fractures as well as fractured layers being knocked inward to damage soft inner portions. So a bone in the arm for example could break through the skin if the arm is struck." It's awesome to read, even though I don't actually play the game. I mean, roguelike with an animated ocean, and waves? Trees turning yellow in autumn and dropping their leaves for winter? Bushfires?
The Following User Says Thank You to Endoperez For This Useful Post:
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoperez View Post
Dungeon Crawl is awesome.
Yes, I've taken a look on the manual and it seems so. What are the main differencies/improvement in playing between Dungeon Crawl and Nethack or Adom?

Thanks.
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Omnirizon wants to create a Dom3-inspired roguelike. If he ever gets to finish it...

I think this thread should be moved to the main Dom3 section, no use in mods&maps only.
Emergency comic relief
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beorne View Post
Yes, I've taken a look on the manual and it seems so. What are the main differencies/improvement in playing between Dungeon Crawl and Nethack or Adom?
In Crawl, identify is a rare commodity. You test scrolls, potions, wands and even magical weapons by using them. Scrolls of remove curse and potions of healing are pretty common, so once you have several scrolls you can probably fix whatever happens, and random potion is often a heal.

In Crawl, you can't sell to shops. Together with the first one AND the fact that magical items have descriptive adjectives (glowing, runed etc), this means that you don't carry half the dungeon with you.
Also, no blessed items and no way to bless items. Useful scrolls are always useful.

In Crawl, you can't sacrifice monsters at altars. You have to please the gods through your actions. That can be 'p'raying, and then killing everything that moves and mutilating their corpses, or not poisoning your opponents, or leveling up. Xom often notices you when you level up. It isn't always good...

In Crawl, you only improve skills when 1) you use the skill and 2) you have free experience. To become better at what you do, you just keep doing it. To learn new stuff, e.g. spellcasting when you're a warrior, start by reading scrolls when you have spare exp.

In Crawl, I haven't seen a single cockatrice, gorgon, Banshee or any other creature that will kill you unless you had the Amulet of Protection Against Gorgons. There are some nasty surprises, of course, but I haven't seen any instant deaths.

In general, you aren't rewarded for doing boring stuff, and your choices are only limited by aptitudes and your ability to stay alive. Aptitudes tell how easy it is to learn skills, lower is better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Endoperez For This Useful Post:
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
I think this thread should be moved to the main Dom3 section, no use in mods&maps only.
I didn't even realized I posted it in the mod&maps subforum, sorry.
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Private

squeezing is on a distinguished road

Well, not that its the most complicated game, but I find Zangband highly addictive and return to it over and over. Also the old classic Omega is great.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Angband and its many many variants are my cup of tea.

You should be able to find a variant you like, and if you are a Tolkien fan then you should appreciate it all the more.