.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old December 20th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Christmas Wish List of Features! Dear Kriss Kringle ;)

(not a serious post)

Not pointing the finger at anyone in this thread (actually there are other threads that bring it more to my mind) but have you ever noticed that the kids that have been really really good are somehow always shown as having short lists for Santa? And the ones most likely to get coal have a list that goes to the floor?

Like I said, not this thread. The thought that started it here was maybe posting a comment to Univac saying "Wow, you must have been really good this year" since I havent seen enough of his Posts to comment.

[ December 20, 2003, 16:57: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 21st, 2003, 03:34 AM

Corporal

Lord Hammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
(not a serious post)

Not pointing the finger at anyone in this thread (actually there are other threads that bring it more to my mind) but have you ever noticed that the kids that have been really really good are somehow always shown as having short lists for Santa? And the ones most likely to get coal have a list that goes to the floor?

Like I said, not this thread. The thought that started it here was maybe posting a comment to Univac saying "Wow, you must have been really good this year" since I havent seen enough of his Posts to comment.
To be honest, i actually got everything i could ask for for Christmas: Dominions 2 and three weeks vacation .
Old December 21st, 2003, 11:09 AM

Corporal

UNIVAC is on a distinguished road

the squeaky wheel gets the grease

By the way...do you have kids?? Your statement the kids that have been really really good are somehow always shown as having short lists for Santa is not exactly true
Old December 21st, 2003, 11:46 AM

Kids with short lists? I never knew there was a way to define that, or in fact good or bad. I guess I have never compared someones list length to their perceived behavior.

Least of all if I was doing it when at the same time saying "I have the short list".

Maybe someone needs a hug
Old December 21st, 2003, 03:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by UNIVAC:
the squeaky wheel gets the grease

By the way...do you have kids?? Your statement the kids that have been really really good are somehow always shown as having short lists for Santa is not exactly true
Well no. Not really. Not anymore. Mine are in their 20's. But you might notice I said they are always SHOWN as having short lists. Such as on TV. The good kids say one toy, and the bad kids have a list. I knew it was a false stereotype
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 21st, 2003, 07:25 PM

EVERYONE RUN! Mr. Parker has been brainwashed by the Television!
Old December 21st, 2003, 08:11 PM

Corporal

Lord Hammer is on a distinguished road

My list was always the same: A Shrubbery .
Old December 21st, 2003, 09:07 PM

Corporal

UNIVAC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
EVERYONE RUN! Mr. Parker has been brainwashed by the Television!
Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:34 AM

Sergeant

reverend is on a distinguished road

national overview (f1): the list sortable by clicking on the categories. that would make finding your provinces with unrest easier, or the high-resource ones etc...

already mentioned, but also on my "wanted" list:

• Ability to rename commanders, or at least add epithets
  • Detailed lists of losses (most importantly commanders)
  • Possibility to use the same nation many times in the same game (like 3 Ulm players)
  • "fire and attack" and maybe "fire and hold" unit orders which take into account how many times unit fires, not just turns
  • research point 'lock' for schools of magic
    enabling/disabling spells [being able to indicate which spells your mage should pick from]
  • Message in top left when Commander is killed in battle
  • Show undead and magic leadership in unit info screen (e.g. 25/0/10)
  • Ability to enter new subscreen (F1, recruitment, etc.) without ESCaping out of the current one
  • Ability to store more than one god for each nation (very important imo)

regarding:
Quote:
The ability to easily alchemy huge amounts of gems without clicking huge amounts of time.
you can partly avoid that by using the keyboard shortcuts. you can just hold them and the gems will be converted more quickly than by clicking.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Ability to store more than one god for each nation (very important imo)
If this is really important then you can simulate it. (yes I know you asked to have it in the game but if its important then here are some answers for now)

The gods are in the newlords directory of the dominions2 dir. You can copy them to another directory. You can write a quick program or bat file to swap them in and out.

You can create multiple icons (desktop shortcuts) and have them use different data directorys. You can have 9 different ones which all use different newlords dirs so each one can have a different god. This includes game saves. I find this handy if I want to test something like blood or maximum blessings or combat as pretenders for each race. I can create an icon for a "blessings" Version of Dom2, make "blessings" Versions of pretender for each race, and create a game named for each race. That way if I want to remind myself of what I did to test a blessings pretender for Man I can just click on the blessings icon and go into the game named "Man".

Lastly, you can create a pretender as part of a map file. So you can type out all the settings and have that map assign it as the god for Ulm as an example. This has lots of pros and cons. Its easy to bring it up again and look at the settings you chose and make slight changes. Playing that map will always give you that god even if you have created new pretenders for Ulm. Making a new one wont overwrite that one. Watch out though because I dont think it checks for the legality of what you pick. You can choose monsters that arent usually allowed as gods, give them magic and scale settings that exceed the creaton points, etc.

[ December 21, 2003, 23:03: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]