.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Communions

I have just read Baalz's 'Guide to Communions' for the first time as I was terrified to try and understand them.

I have read it 3 times (and am still terrified but now just seem to not understand it)and have a couple of simple questions.

IF I am right about these things (or get a correct answer) then I can go on to a little more...

Lets say I am Arco (as I am familiar with thier mages).

I have 20 Mystics in my Capitol, not all have the exact same paths and strength of paths they have.

(I may say this somewhat wrong but I am just trying to see IF the example I use would be correct, even if its not smart to do)

I can cast Slave Master on 1 Mystic (19 left) and since its 1 to the power of 2 I can cast slave and have 16 slaves (leaving 3 left over for research or whatever).

So, I have a master and 16 slaves....they all NOW have the same paths and path strength as the master.

Now say I want to cast a spell that does 25 damage normally....since I have the power of 4 it will now hit with 100 damage.

Lets say the Fatigue is 40 (heres where it starts getting difficult for me). Does that mean 40 x 4 = 160 because its the power of 4 OR does it stay at 40?

Now that THAT question is out let me pose one more.

IF it stays at 40..does that divide the fatigue among all 17 (1 Master and 16 slaves) for approx 2.35 Fatigue per Mystic.

Just for the slaves which would make it just slightly higher.

OR is it based on 160 divided bt 17 (1 master and 16 alaves) for 9.41 fatique per mystic and agian slightly higher if just the slaves are used.

I am not concerned if 1 master and 16 slaves is good or not at this point...I am just rtying to understand the math on casting the spell.

Thanks and anything else related to that matter you think I should know please chime in!!!!
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Communions

I think you've got a little confused in there.

16 slaves will let the master cast as if he has 4 more levels in each path he has access to. It does not multiply the power of the spell by 4, or the fatigue. Orb Lightning would produce 4 more bolts than previously, and an S4 caster would become able to cast Master Enslave.

The slaves will not suddenly have the same paths as the master. They retain their own paths and levels. BUT - for the purposes of reducing fatigue from spells the master casts, and only for that purpose, they are IIRC treated as if their paths are 4 higher.

When the master casts a spell, he receives no fatigue. Fatigue from the spell is divided equally between the slaves. Each slave then treats the fatigue assigned to them as if they had cast the spell themselves. Example: Master casts an S1 spell with 20 fatigue, and has 2 slaves. Each slave has 10 fatigue assigned to them. A slave with S2 *afrer the communion boost* would net 5 fatigue.

Last edited by Gregstrom; March 7th, 2009 at 06:10 PM..
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

Communion has exactly four effects:
1) All path levels of all participants are increased based on the number of slaves using the power of two rule.
2) The base fatigue from spells cast by masters is distributed evenly among that master and all slaves. It is modified by individual path levels (Pythium's Communicants are special) and Enc only after being distributed.
3) All self-buff spells cast by a master are also cast on all slaves.
4) The slaves cannot act normally except as described in the guide.
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

To correct one point you make, Wick: Base fatigue from the spell is divided equally between the slaves only. The master receives fatigue only from his spellcasting encumbrance.
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

And slaves cannot act ONLY if master already cast this turn. If he hadn't, they are able to act normally - which allows for things like "reverse" and "linebreaker" communions mentioned in the guide.
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
1) All path levels of all participants are increased based on the number of slaves using the power of two rule.
Only Masters gain increased path levels - else Reverse Communions would be the order of the day, in nearly all cases.

You can increase slave path levels with the appropriate spells (Summon Earthpower, Power of the Spheres, etc), but the communion itself only increases the path level of Masters, for practical purposes.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Only Masters gain increased path levels - else Reverse Communions would be the order of the day, in nearly all cases.
Except, as stated by Gregstrom above, for the purpose of calculating fatigue from spells cast by the Master. For that purpose they are treated as if they had received the same communion boost as the Masters. I am uncertain, but I think this even applies to paths they do not actually possess.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM

Lieutenant General

Right, but it's not fair to say that it just outright boosts their paths, the OP was already struggling with this. And I'm quite sure it doesn't apply to paths that they lack - I've had too many S1 Slaves fried to death by overzealous Masters topping off their script with Blade Wind or Gifts from Heaven spam (when the Masters' level is high enough, the Fatigue should be negligible, unless the slaves were not getting the same reduction).
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Actually I'm pretty sure the slaves do get boosted for paths they don't have, and in fact can be buffed by ie. phoenix power even if they're just S1 slaves. Just for the purposes of soaking up communion fatigue of course. Now, you're still going to have trouble using smaller numbers of them to cast spells which require a level 3 mage (like blade wind), even if they're boosted up to 2E they're still taking double fatigue from it and it's an 80 fatigue spell. That adds up fast if you're splitting it between say 4 slaves...
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM

Lieutenant General

I've even rapidly popped Slaves when in a huge communion with 16+ Slaves, and only 4-5 of the Masters use the inappropriate spells. And certainly, I had one of the Masters cast Summon Earthpower, as I always script it if I can. If they were all boosted to 5E in this way, they should be able to soak up a whole lot of Blade Winds.....