.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:37 AM

Private

Arcturas is on a distinguished road
Default Quick Fatigue Calculation Help

Hey all, I had a little trouble with the manual and some fatigue calculations I was doing.

Say I have an S12 caster throwing down Master Enslave. (Sue me, I'm having fun in SP with a Great Enchantress who's Wished Magic power six or so times. Plus power a few as well...and Iron Dragon bodyguards) She has 20 S gems as well.

Master Enslave is an S8 spell, 800 fatigue, costs 8 gems.

Fatigue = spell fatigue * (1/ (1+extra paths)), right? So she'd have 800 * 1/(1+12-8) = 800 *1/5 = 160 fatigue. If I'd earlier cast PotS, or had a crystal shield (that auto-casts PotS, no?) we'd be at 800 *1/6 = 133.33 fatigue. All before spell enc.

How do gems work here, though? You can spend one to increase your path for the purposes of the spell. I can't find in the manual information about how additional gems affect fatigue, though. (a page number would work, too)

With 1 gem, and PotS earlier, I'd be at 800 * 1/7 = 114.28 fatigue.

Dom 3 rounds up? So 115 plus 3 = 118 fatigue for master enslave. Ouch. Still, we've spent 9 gems to throw down master enslave with + 4 pen (ring of sorc, ring of wiz, rune smasher).

Current S is 13, so we can spend 13 S gems per cast if I'm reading the manual correctly. Will the AI? Also, how does it work? I vaguely recall extra gems work to give you 1 / (1+gems) fatigue, so 1 extra = 1/2 fatigue, 2 = 1/3, etc. Is that right? How does it interact with the extra spell paths fatigue reduction?

I know our knowledge of the AI is a little fuzzy, so I imagine we can't tell exactly when and how many gems will be used. Obviously I'd love it if the AI would use at least one gem, to get that fatigue below 100 (at 100 if it stacks with extra paths, so I'd want multiple gems used).

At this point in the script, I'll have 14 reinvig (boots of calius, earthpower). 5 natural reinvig means 19 fatigue is removed each round. Spell-casting fatigue happens first, then reinvig, so I'll end the combat round 99 fatigue higher than I began? (118 for S13, assuming 8 gems for spell, 1 gem for paths, no gems for fatigue reduction) Or do you only get the 5 natural fatigue reduction when you're unconscious?

Now to penetration. I'm currently at +4 pen, (RoW, RoS, Rune Smasher) getting +2.5 (again, not sure how the game rounds) from S 13. Does the extra level from a gem also give +0.5 pen? It's MR negates easily, meaning 10 + 6.5 + Drn vs MR + 4 + Drn. Good vs anything with MR < 12, and a solid chance above that.

What are the other penetration items? Eye of the void/green eye could help, but I want the RoW/RoS for fatigue reduction.

Current setup is: Eye Shield (I figure blindness is equivalent to vine shield on a 30 def, 25 prot SC, with luck/ethereal, and more of a pain for my opponent. Still, on the fence about that one), Rune Smasher, Horrorsbane (Mytheology mod), Robe of Invul, Boots of Calius, RoW, RoS.

I'm open to new armor, as my current script is Personal Luck, Summon Earthpower, Power of the Spheres, Master Enslave, so I could drop in Invulnerability as well, and open to a different shield/helm. Hat is mostly in case I run across horrors, though skullcap would probably help more for MR and astral.
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick Fatigue Calculation Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturas View Post
Fatigue = spell fatigue * (1/ (1+extra paths)), right? So she'd have 800 * 1/(1+12-8) = 800 *1/5 = 160 fatigue. If I'd earlier cast PotS, or had a crystal shield (that auto-casts PotS, no?) we'd be at 800 *1/6 = 133.33 fatigue. All before spell enc.

With 1 gem, and PotS earlier, I'd be at 800 * 1/7 = 114.28 fatigue.
Yep.

Quote:
Current S is 13, so we can spend 13 S gems per cast if I'm reading the manual correctly. Will the AI? Also, how does it work? I vaguely recall extra gems work to give you 1 / (1+gems) fatigue, so 1 extra = 1/2 fatigue, 2 = 1/3, etc. Is that right? How does it interact with the extra spell paths fatigue reduction?
I think it's only the paths that give you a reduction. But additional gems => additional paths.
The Following User Says Thank You to Illuminated One For This Useful Post:
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick Fatigue Calculation Help

The first gem spent gives you +1 in that path for all purposes, all subsequent gems increase your effective path for fatigue reduction only.

So the first gem moves your 12S mage up to 13S (or 13S up to 14S). The other 3 (or four if your mage is 13S) may only reduce fatigue.

I know the AI likes to spend gems to reduce fatigue if it can, but I am not always sure it will. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Assuming the AI spends as many gems as it can you have:

8 (for spell) + 1 (path increase) + 3 (fatigue reduction) = 12 (your astral level)

Fatigue = 800 / (1 + effective extra S level) = 800 / (1 + 1 (path increase) + 3 (fatigue reduction) + 4 (normal extra paths)) = 800 / (9) ~= 88.9 or 89

Penetration = 10 + Pen Items + (extra paths / 2) = 10 + 4 + (((4 + 1 (path increase))/2) = 14 + (2.5) = 16.5, just like you have already stated.

As MR easily resists, that is effectively 12.5 penetration (I likewise am not sure which way Dominions will round this, but I believe down to just 12).

And finally, the natural 5 fatigue reduction is unconscious only, so if you have 14 endurance it will put you at 89 - 14 = 75 fatigue.

PotS puts you at 13 S. So you can spend another gem (if the AI wants to).

Fatigue = 800 / (1 + 1 + 4(extra fatigue reduction gem) + 5 (extra path) = 800/11 = 72.27 ~= 72?

Penetration = 10 + 4 + (5 (extra path) + 1 (same gem increase) / 2) = 10 + 4 + 3 = 17

at MR easily that is effectively 13 Penetration. So PotS nets you +1 Penetration and - ~17 fatigue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fate For This Useful Post: