.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 6th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Joys of Overzealous Moderators

Edi, there are no relevant threads regarding this. Just a sudden decision to ban Calahan for his sig (he put it up about two months ago) which was followed by Bat/man being banned.
Now you know as much as we do.
Old July 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Corporal

momfreeek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
Uh, I don't really want to get involved in this (since, as I hope you understand, I have no power in the matter). But perhaps I should answer some of Executor's questions with *my understanding* of Shrapnel's actions.

-Why exactly was Cal banned?

I believe his signature was a direct insult of Bat/man. I don't remember it though.

-Why no warning but a perma ban after nearly two months?

The rationale is that it wasn't a slip-up, it was obviously a deliberate attempt to be aggressive towards another forum user. Warnings are apparently offered at Shrapnel's discretion when they believe users may change their ways.

As for the nearly two months - it's not really fair to expect Shrapnel staff to read the forums every day. Really that should be (for example) my job. But I am not much of an enforcer.

-Why didn't you check up on the whole matter?

I think they didn't think Calahan was likely to reform having so explicitly gone against forum rules.

-Is it really harassment to report rule violations? (multiple accounts) If so, are you sane?

Well I think Calahan called him a douchebag or something (not sure), rather than merely reporting it.

-If Bat/man is a double account, why isn't CrisP banned as well? Violation of your own rules again

ChrisP was banned as well, I believe.

-Did you only take someones word on it and ban the guy for no reason if he's not really CrisP?

Shrapnel did check - the two email addresses were the same(!).

-Do you even bother to check when someone reports something?

Yep, they do.

-Why are you such hypocrites?

Er...

---

I will repeat that this was not my doing - I'm just trying to explain my perception of Shrapnel's perception. Personally I'm very sorry that Calahan has been banned.
this
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Edi, there are no relevant threads regarding this. Just a sudden decision to ban Calahan for his sig (he put it up about two months ago) which was followed by Bat/man being banned.
Now you know as much as we do.
Okay, so that came right out of the blue for everyone. This thread also shed some light on the relevant things. Thanks.
Old July 7th, 2012, 04:45 AM

Wendigo_reloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
Calling them out for their multiple accounts is to show the hypocrisy in banning other major contributors thoughtlessly. If we can overlook the faults of some, and we should, then we could also forgive the faults of Calahan and Sombre.
This is wrong, the rules have to be the same for everybody: Nobody can get a free pass to harass/abuse other posters just because of who he is. You might discuss the degree of the punishment, but not that there should be a punishment.

This is just a forum about a game of pixel soldiers, and getting banned is not a big deal: the owners have said themselves they have no problem with banned posters coming back under a new identity, if that means they behave properly from then onwards. All the hair pulling in this thread is out of place, getting banned is not the end of the world.

Also, you cannot justify insulting others just by saying that you also insult your buddies (let's be honest, there's a serious difference between friendly poking between peers and the abuse that gets thrown to the ones that are disliked by the hive mind). The mood in the Invision forums is like that of an old boys club: with insiders getting a free pass & outsiders being the target of the real abuse. It's as if you people were back in high school.

I happen to think that our community would be a better place if we all tried to show a minimum respect for each other, including those we do not like.

Young males have always got into fights for the silliest reasons, been there and done it myself, but they are expected to mature and learn sooner or later that their freedom, including their freedom of speech, ends up at that place where it collides with some other people's freedom. If they do not, they will be corrected by their elders or by those that hold the power in their society, as has been the case here.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:27 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigo_reloaded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
Calling them out for their multiple accounts is to show the hypocrisy in banning other major contributors thoughtlessly. If we can overlook the faults of some, and we should, then we could also forgive the faults of Calahan and Sombre.
This is wrong, the rules have to be the same for everybody: Nobody can get a free pass to harass/abuse other posters just because of who he is. You might discuss the degree of the punishment, but not that there should be a punishment.

This is just a forum about a game of pixel soldiers, and getting banned is not a big deal: the owners have said themselves they have no problem with banned posters coming back under a new identity, if that means they behave properly from then onwards. All the hair pulling in this thread is out of place, getting banned is not the end of the world.

Also, you cannot justify insulting others just by saying that you also insult your buddies (let's be honest, there's a serious difference between friendly poking between peers and the abuse that gets thrown to the ones that are disliked by the hive mind). The mood in the Invision forums is like that of an old boys club: with insiders getting a free pass & outsiders being the target of the real abuse. It's as if you people were back in high school.

I happen to think that our community would be a better place if we all tried to show a minimum respect for each other, including those we do not like.

Young males have always got into fights for the silliest reasons, been there and done it myself, but they are expected to mature and learn sooner or later that their freedom, including their freedom of speech, ends up at that place where it collides with some other people's freedom. If they do not, they will be corrected by their elders or by those that hold the power in their society, as has been the case here.
Congratulations on both misunderstanding Fantomen's post and your misconception of the invision board. Yeah, it's quite the old boy's club, in order to get in you have to... not post complete crap? The people that get treated poorly on invision are the people who do questionable things on this one. If you start posting crap though you will get called on it.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Posted at the behest of Calahan;

Quote:
So I see some of my critics are coming out of the woodwork on Shrapnal now that it's safe to have a go at me just because I can't respond to them directly (how brave of them). Can someone do me a favour and offer my critics this challenge...

The Calahan Challenge - Find any post where I've insulted someone that HASN'T been either a direct result of that person posting misinformation, talking nonsense, or trying to defend suspect playing behaviour (such as cheating/move-blocking/bailing etc). Or that person having a history of doing any and all of the aforementioned things .

Because as I pointed out before with the chicken and egg simile, I would be the nicest and most friendly forumite the world has ever seen* if people didn't post crap all the time, and played with some consideration towards their fellow players. And/Or they spent just a moment of their time to check what they are are about to say is in fact true, or state clearly it is a guess if they can't check. (latter is generally in regards to the game mechanics)

*Ok maybe not, but I can't ever recall having a go at somone who didn't deserve it. So if people stopped doing things to deserve it, then I'd automatically stop having a go at them as a result. See how that works.
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it really necessary to insult someone for being incorrect? Especially since being incorrect in this case refers to a game.
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:05 AM

First Lieutenant

ghoul31 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Joys of Overzealous Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amhazair View Post
I also won't argue that Calahan can be quite rude at times.

Yea he was always making personal attacks against me. So i finally had to put him on ignore. So I can definitely see why he was banned.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Wendigo_reloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Posted at the behest of Calahan;

So I see some of my critics are coming out of the woodwork on Shrapnal now that it's safe to have a go at me just because I can't respond to them directly (how brave of them). Can someone do me a favour and offer my critics this challenge...
This from the guy who has created a thread exclusively to make fun & take cheap shots at the posters of other forums. Pot, kettle, black. It's not fun being on the other side, right?

Take a step out of your shoes and think about how you can improve your attitude. It's not too late to change. It's called empathy.

Quote:
The Calahan Challenge - Find any post where I've insulted someone that HASN'T been either a direct result of that person posting misinformation, talking nonsense, or trying to defend suspect playing behaviour (such as cheating/move-blocking/bailing etc). Or that person having a history of doing any and all of the aforementioned things .
And this is where you are, and have always been wrong. If you did this in RL you would get a black eye most often than not. As this is the internet, you only get a ban.

If someone makes a mistake, you are welcome to correct him/her, but not insult & belittle. You go too far.

Seriously, grow up. I'm sure there is an intelligent & kind guy behind all that posturing, you do unselfish stuff as admining games for newbies after all. But you are not a unique snowflake: the world doesn't evolve around your personal peeves & dislikes, you are the one who has to be flexible & adapt to living in society, and not everybody else adapt to your very particular ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendigo_reloaded View Post

If someone makes a mistake, you are welcome to correct him/her, but not insult & belittle. You go too far.
Exactly. I'm starting to think that banning him was not a bad idea.