.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 15th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Corporal

Adam J is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reverse Communion Confusion

Thanks for pointing that out that I'm just oblivious Stagger Lee... although to be fair it'd be helpful to retards like myself to explicitly state that slaves won't act if the master casts first rather then make me have to infer it from the statement that slaves will act sol long as they go first sequentially before the master. I'm surprised I didn't figure that out before though, seeing as I like doing mixed communions with mystics and maguses (magi?) and apparently just never noticed some mages were sitting on their butts.
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road

I've heard (untested) that any form of quickness (did they have quickness, even though not a W9 bless) can sometimes lead to 2x holy spells a turn (or 2x item-spells a turn). Any quickness at all?
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

That's what I was thinking of, though I'm not sure it's that simple.

I believe 2 item spells a turn works reliably. I'm much less sure about the 2 holy spells.
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:44 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam J View Post
but I didn't realize that the slaves would sit (or cast crappy holy spells as the case may be) if the communion master already cast first. So basically for a reverse communion to work you need your master to either not cast spells or act last in the round?
The slaves won't cast holy spells if a master has cast, they will simply absorb fatigue for the master. I did some testing with Marverni Druids in a similar configuration to what you described. I scripted:

8 slaves (communion slave;flying shards;blade wind;blade wind;blade wind), and
2 masters (communion master;pots/summon earth;blade wind; blade wind;blade wind)

The flying shards was just to keep them all doing the same thing that round. Rounds 3 and 4 had everyone throwing blade wind. Round five was mostly blade wind. Fatigue enters the calculation in this round.

My understanding of fatigue distribution would give you something like this:

Where E2 is the base for slaves and masters, masters are boosted 3E for 8 slaves, + 1E for pots or summon earth, so masters can cast blade wind without problem. And slaves are actually boosted 2 from pots & summon earth, so they can all cast + 3 for fatigue from 8 slaves. So fatigue cost/N+1 (N = 7-3)

Each master casting blade wind -> 80 fatigue * 2(masters) = 160 / 8(slaves) = 20 * (1/N+1) = 20/5 fatigue/trn = 4

And for their own casting -> 80*(1/5)= 16

Giving each slave 20 fatigue/turn. But that doesn't quite work. I think they probably don't get the +3 communion bonus when doing their own fatigue calculation.

So for their own casting -> 80*(1/2)= 40

total about 44 fatigue/turn.

This would explain why some but not all stopped casting blade wind on round five. The druids have at least 50% chance of being E3 Which would drastically improve their fatigue score, and allow more castings. I did not base anything in my tests on native E level, since everyone should have been able to cast the spell. The only determining factor was who came first in the setup screen, the two masters being the bottom two.
No, this is not right. First, calculate each spell separately, as you have to add the spellcasting encumbrance of the master to each slave, on top of their normal encumbrance.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stagger Lee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post

Each master casting blade wind -> 80 fatigue * 2(masters) = 160 / 8(slaves) = 20 * (1/N+1) = 20/5 fatigue/trn = 4
No, this is not right. First, calculate each spell separately, as you have to add the spellcasting encumbrance of the master to each slave, on top of their normal encumbrance.
I'm not so sure, chris. I think you're correct in that the 80*2 should be divided by 10.

160/10=16

16/5=3.2 rounded up? =4

I don't care about the fatigue on the masters themselves, they're going to be fine. And again, I'm looking at lowest case E2 druids. At least half of them should be E3 or better.
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Not entirely on topic, but you should have one of the masters casting eagle eyes too.
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Corporal

Adam J is on a distinguished road

Fantoman- I considered that, but it was such a large army I was facing that I figured it was irrelevant and I wanted to get my masters casting blades asap. I am doing that now though with another army of druids (along with correcting the ordering issues I had) since I've shifted over the often painfully inaccurate gifts of heaven.
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Corporal

nordlys is an unknown quantity at this point

This might be a newb question (never tried communions before), but how to reorder mages in the list to ensure the masters are first or last? Isn't commander order more or less random/governed by obscure procedures? Providing someone special is to be used as a master; if it's just "whoever is first/last will be master", the question is moot.
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordlys View Post
This might be a newb question (never tried communions before), but how to reorder mages in the list to ensure the masters are first or last?
You can't, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Isn't commander order more or less random/governed by obscure procedures?
It's predictable at least - as noted before, commanders cast in the order you see them in the tactics screen.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
Quote:
This might be a newb question (never tried communions before), but how to reorder mages in the list to ensure the masters are first or last?
You can't, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Isn't commander order more or less random/governed by obscure procedures?
It's predictable at least - as noted before, commanders cast in the order you see them in the tactics screen.
[OldMeme]
In Communist Russia, you don't reorder the Communion, the Communion reorders YOU!
[/OldMeme]

:-P
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix