.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:27 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gem use question.

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
quote:
Originally posted by Arryn:
There can only be 5 active globals, and if another is cast (by anyone), it may replace an existing one at random.
It's not entirely random, as far as I've seen. It seems to be more sadorandom than truly random.
There's only one of the developers which knows the real truth behind these secrets... but the other developers keep him locked inside in a dark closet where his food is passed to him under the iron door.

[ July 22, 2004, 02:32: Message edited by: NTJedi ]
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:14 AM

Corporal

Borg is on a distinguished road

Only 5 global enchantments max at any one time, OK.

But if you cast another one (when there are already five out) can you be SURE your new GE will become effective and one of the older ones will be dispelled OR is there a chance your newly cast GE will not be able "to break into " the list ?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:21 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Borg:
OR is there a chance your newly cast GE will not be able "to break into " the list ?
Yes.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:54 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by NTJedi:
There's only one of the developers which knows the real truth behind these secrets... but the other developers keep him locked inside in a dark closet where his food is passed to him under the iron door.
And now he has disappeared altogether

Edit: he doesn't know either, but he's the only one likely to find the answers in the code.

[ July 22, 2004, 08:56: Message edited by: Kristoffer O ]
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:15 PM

Corporal

I'll keep posting my questions in this thread so I don't clutter up the board with trivia questions.

So far I've "experienced" that you can't recruit in a besieged fortress.

Four questions :

1) do you have to keep "some presence" in a fortress to defend it or can you leave it alone (empty) and will the walls STILL have to be broken down first before the besieger can attack ?

2) does a province which holds a besieged fortress still generate gold ?

3) What other possible effects - less noticeable for the newer player - come with besieging a fortress ?

4) Apparently, when a commander has no troops under his command he's supposed to be IN garrison.
Does that mean that you can add a Commander to your Provincial Defense just by putting 1 unit under that commander's command so that he's supposed to be out on the field ?

[ July 22, 2004, 19:21: Message edited by: Borg ]
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:41 PM

Major General

Quote:
1) do you have to keep "some presence" in a fortress to defend it
Yes, you do.
Quote:

2) does a province which holds a besieged fortress still generate gold ?
Yes, a minor amount. I have forgotten the fomula used to figure out how much. It isn't very much.
Quote:

4) Apparently, when a commander has no troops under his command he's supposed to be IN garrison.
Does that mean that you can add a Commander to your Provincial Defense just by putting 1 unit under that commander's command so that he's supposed to be out on the field ?
If you want units to be "out in the field", that is, out in the province and not within the castle, then you must give them PATROL orders. Otherwise, they remain loafing within the keep.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:58 AM

Corporal

Thanks Arryn.

Q : I have some Magic Arrows coming at one of my mages who's researching in a Fortress.
Does that mean there must be a spy/assassin/scout in the province - and thus time to start patrolling or hiring some (poor) province defense ? - Or is my province not necessarily infiltrated ?

Just some info :
I'm playing Machaka-default on the Aran map.
Indy's : 7
Order +3 / Heat +3 / Misfortune -1 / Magic +3
Dominion 8
Wizard's Tower.

My god is Lisa ............. the old Crone
25pts for starters - probably the cheapest isn't she ?
Gave her 2Fire - 2Air - 2Earth
She's not fast (1/6) but then the Machaka hoplite can move only 1 province at a time as well, so nothing gives.
Makes it more important to keep her in the right strategic locations all the time as she can't jump around the world like some can.

I got a great starting locating.
The Coastal Forest in the North-Western part of the map. No marine nations , so nobody in my back (for now) and surrounded by yummie yummie farmland (mucho dineros, Machaka like )

I just finished turn 20 and have 6 provinces under my control, three Fortresses and generate 449 gold per turn. Resources are not a problem.
I've researched Alteration and Evocation both up to lvl 3 and will have finished lvl 1 of Construction next turn.
That's about ((20+40+80 *2) +20 = 300) pts of research in 20 turns , or an average of about 15 per turn. Average I guess, but I have want I want at this point. Fireball, Magma Bolts, Ironskin.
I just came across the spell Quickness ..... ...... darn ... I should have given Lisa 1W too. Oh well, I know now

I'm going to settle down for a turn and then turn my attention more southwards (towards the peninsula) where Marignon seems to be stuck in its starting province.
I noticed they went up to 2 provinces just recently but then back to 1 and none of the other factions seemed to go up a province that turn.
How do you explain that ?
Anyway , Marignon has a tough time because its bordering provinces include one with Heavy Cavs and others with lots of units (90-100ish)
So, I'm going to try to beat Marignon while they're still down (my bad ) and because the peninsula is relatively easy to defend afterwards. If I can add that regio to my Dominion I (think) I can just "out-economy" the others.
Q : is Flames from Afar really worth the 10 Fire Gems because I really have my doubts about that one - since I only generate 1F gem per turn)
My other neighbour - located in that midwest mountain region - is Pythium. They have three provinces at the time, but their armies do not have a threatening size for me at this point , nor do they generate enough income to get me worried.
I have spies all over their territory , so I notice every move they make.
I just have a tough time cranking my Dominion up in their neighbourhood.
My Bane Blade Prophet is preaching constantly in a nearby Dom1 neutral province but can't get anything higher than that.

Pythium seems to use high Dom, is that the standard for them ?

Anyway, having a great time with a wonderfull and REALLY strategic game (ordered it Online yesterday , btw) and really anxious to try out all those other interesting strategies/units/Gods I've laid eye on so far.

btw, is there a turn limit in the demo ?

[ July 23, 2004, 10:45: Message edited by: Borg ]
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:35 PM

Major General

Quote:
Q : I have some Magic Arrows coming at one of my mages who's researching in a Fortress.
Does that mean there must be a spy/assassin/scout in the province - and thus time to start patrolling or hiring some (poor) province defense ? - Or is my province not necessarily infiltrated ?
You are being hit by the L3 Enchantment spell Seeking Arrow (pg. 103 in the manual which you don't have yet ). You may or may not have a spy in the province, one isn't required to target the spell.

Quote:
btw, is there a turn limit in the demo ?
40 turns, and magic is capped at L4.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:57 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quote:
Yes, you do.
You don't actually. The attacker must still break down the walls even if there are no defenders inside. This is most notieable with the dark citadel.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:12 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally posted by Graeme Dice:
quote:
quote:
Yes, you do.
You don't actually. The attacker must still break down the walls even if there are no defenders inside. This is most notieable with the dark citadel.

I've had unoccupied castles captured instantly by small numbers of enemy troops that would otherwise have taken several turns to break down the walls (I know this because that same raiding enemy group later laid siege to a neighboring castle). Which is why I no longer leave my castles undefended. Ever. Regardless of what the rules say.