BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 10th, 2018, 09:21 PM

Corporal

Warwick is on a distinguished road
Default AI and Arty. Observers

I vaguely recall someone mentioning that the AI does not use Arty.
Observers. Is this correct? Is there therefore any benefit in eliminating the opposing observers when playing against the AI?

Thanks, Warwick
Old October 10th, 2018, 10:19 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI and Arty. Observers

They are high value units so for that reason alone it is helpful to take them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to RetLT For This Useful Post:
Old October 11th, 2018, 02:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

I remember many cases when I have received accurate artillery fire, often with severe results. So I believe the AI does use FOs (or 0 units in general), it's just that it isn't very cautious in keeping them alive since it views them as yet another infantry unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old October 11th, 2018, 02:49 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

I believe that AI observers work just as yours do - ie give accuracy bonuses to artillery if they have "eyes-on" the target.

The thing that the AI doesn't do is adjust artillery after 2 turns but calls in another fresh strike - so it cannot "creep" a barrage.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:44 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

AI uses observers, if one is in LOS of the target. It has no plan for them other than shuffle forwards with the rest of the lemmings. It does not know about gold spots, repeat calls or adjusting off a previous call so all calls are fresh ones.

AI does use programmed fires in the assault (cannot recall if it does so in the free demo game, though - I seem to recollect it only uses turn 0 fires then).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old October 13th, 2018, 12:27 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: AI and Arty. Observers

AI does use the 0 turn arty at the start. I have found it very accurate when I'm in the defender or less often in the delay mode of ops. I don't know if this is by chance or my habit (Which very recently I stopped doing under those circumstances.) of lining up my troops "on the line" as I tend to play a more aggressive layered defense on the move and a delay more like a meeting engagement.

In all other circumstances I'm on the line, so I don't know if you will, that the AI learns from this. It has been my experience that the AI will usually have one or two arty observers as a core unit as they are hard to find and kill once found, so this tells me it's an "experienced" unit.

The AI does an excellent job of deploying units such as observers, MG's, ATGW teams, tanks and snipers in over watch positions with good LOS in assigned areas.

You have to factor this in as you move about or you'll ask yourself "What just happened there?". It still happens to me and is one reason I really love playing this game, because it can be so unforgiving.

AI will adjust it's fire missions to take out perceived strong points and at times along your LOA as you move up.

As Andy has pointed out the AI will advance up everything after a certain point, it's usually a good news situation for the player when you start seeing SPAA and SPATGW coming into the battle zone proper.

Another more unfortunate indicator (Actually before the above point.) where the AI assumes that some of it's units or its LOA has reached a certain point behind your lines that it drops some of it's artillery way behind your actual lines, usually concentrated on your victory hexes. This is a horrible waste and where to some degree the human player has a perceived advantage.

Depending on the AI country though, this could also mean it's softening up the area for a helicopter assault on your victory hexes as well.

Don't let your guard down in the above case, especially, if the AI is Chinese or Russian to a lesser extent.

Seek and Destroy all Arty Observers and HQ units as you find them accidently and or by active search.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; October 13th, 2018 at 12:34 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: