.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old July 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New mod

Oups. Corrected. Uploaded.
Gate Keeper 350g/30r and Sacred, STR 25
Key Keeper 200g, STR 25, 14 prot
Arachnid Lords 17 protection

Niefel Jarl is faster, has more defense and HP, plus he is a leader.
The 5 weapons on mages are a test thing. Its there to determine what weapons create the "Soul Feeding" effect, ie Soul Slay+ Life Drain.
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Captain

Any problems?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

Valandil is on a distinguished road

yes. The ruah claws/blades are extremely powerful, and the cavalry (forgot name) with ruah blades are quite a bit less expensive than the ought to be. Gate keepers, even at 450 with no slots, are insanely powerful. There's really no need for any other units. Killing light on the soul lenses makes them more powerfull than many spells, and they are only 1/15. Basically, the mod is overpowered. I like the graphics though.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM

Captain

People keep saying that national troops are underpowered and unneeded in the late game, so I thought if I made them Thug or SC quality but very expensive that that would solve the problem. Soul Lens is very inaccurate. They are as dangerous to the enemy as they are to you. I could make them more inaccurate though or extremely short ranged and non magical. I'm leaning toward the later. I wish I could insert 1 Death scale into the mod.
Can anyone do cost analysis?

New version: Higher resource costs, lower str on arachnids, Soul Lens is much shorter range and non magical.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:08 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Doing that with national troops would (or could) solve the problem but the thing is, it only does it to one nation in your mod making their nationals superior to others.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:22 PM

Captain

Try playing a game against Nephilim (You cant use Ermor obviously). If you are able to win against them with a regular nation then they only need small tweaks. If you cant win then they are broken and I'll try to fix them.

Lowered Soul Lens ammo to 3 shots.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:41 PM

Colonel

Seeing as most of us can beat almost any nation using another nation that test isnt really fair, for 1 the ai is really bad at using summons and keeping up a blood dominion, 2 the ai would mis-use the units, causing huge friendly fire casualties with soul lens and would use gate keepers with troops, causing him to rout. The ai is generally quite poor and when given a mod to use is even worse. You could up the soul lens to 5 ammo, enough to justify the 25 resource cost but low enough not to be too deadly/cause massive friendly casualties(it should have stopped firing by the time troops reach combat)
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:58 PM

Captain

You didnt like 3 shots? I thought even the slowest units could reach the enemy in 4-6 turns. I'm thinking of making their accuracy higher now that the range is so short. I know its basically tweaking but it could be a major change in the way you use the Bonded. I seem to be swaying from one extreme to another in terms of balance. I wish there was an absolute set of pricing rules. I made the accuracy so low as a way of offsetting their massive damage. Any ideas? I changed Soul Javelin and Soul Lens to armor piercing, lowered their damage to 0, gave them back magic (just didnt feel right them without magic) and set Lens ammo to 5 shots. They should get their damage from str.
As for Gate Keeper, lowered his strategic movement from 3 to 1. Will it lower his usefulness? He is a defender and not a fast strategic unit.
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:06 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

The Gate Keepers can be used as defenders, but they are really SCs. Cutting their movement will make it harder to get them to the front, but if they spend most of their time taking provinces that won't make much difference.

Late game they're vulnerable: minimal slots no elemental resistance, but in early game they rule. Normal armies can't touch them, they can solo L9 indies without worries. They'd be a real threat in an early rush. What would you use to stop them with around turn 5?

In my test game, one of them just took a solo Wyrm. It was against the AI, so the Wyrm was unbuffed, but still...
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Colonel

Yea, they rock in a rush. I pummeled an impossible ermor by rushing with around 3-4 of them while mass producing arcebuses in my capitol (which had 175 resources a turn). Quickly surrounded the ulmish capitol, built a fortess on every province around it, put a gatekeeper in each on patrol and then later when i had thousands of gold cranked the pd up to 60 and removed the keepers. I killed the ulmish god so many times, an e9 wyrm ended up as an e2 wyrm, then i just slammed my pretender and 200 arcebuses into his capitol and watched the fireworks.