.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old April 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default PBEM Game: Yarnspinners 2 (Running)

The address of the site used for this game is: http://yarnspinners.improbable.org/

- Mods: Zen Pretenders, Scales and Spells mods.
- No outside judge giving awards; 5 astral pearls per yarn, more if most players find a particular yarn to be interested.
- Game ending on turn 60, unless most players would like to go on for a longer while (after turn 45).
- Beefed-up capital PD (125).
- Nation picks will be done on the "top three" (or more, though three nations should be enough) basis.

The other settings for the game:
- Map: Inland.
- Strength of independents: 7
- Magic research: Very hard
- Magic sites at 50, Hall of Fame with 15 entries, renaming is on.

People having expressed interest in joining the game:
- Quantum Mechani: Pythium
- PashaDawg: T'ien Ch'i
- Griffin: Ulm
- The Panther: Man
- Sedna: Marignon
- Djo: Vanheim
- Puffyn: C'tis
- Zen: Ermor
- Alneyan: Pangaea
Old April 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM Game: Yarnspinners 2

Are you planning use Zen mods? I realize balance is not a big issue, but I would be more tempted to make thematic choices if the choices were more even.
Old April 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM

General

Mods have not been mentioned in the thread, so I guess the answer for now will be "perhaps". I will add this question to the list.
Old April 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested in playing.
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Sergeant

GriffinOfBuerrig is on a distinguished road

Chopdaie, i am also in. I have been vanished in all other games :*)

So i declare to take Jotonheim(but i am fine with every nation)

@Pasha: ^^
Old April 11th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

I am interested in playing under these new rules also. I will lay a claim to Man for this purpose.

My comments:
1. Zen balance mods - YES!
2. Saber-Cherry mods - maybe, for I am not sure if that is fully ready yet until the test game goes further.
3. Map suggestion: Orania. I would ask for impossible (or maybe just very difficult) AIs for all nations that are not present. Also, 9-strength indies to slow down the computer players.
4. PBEM with NO quickhost. The hosting schedule should be at a fixed time every 2 days. In fact, I would extend the host time every third turn to three days to allow for the yarns. This would mean a fixed weekly host schedule, always on the same three days of every week.
5. Put 200 PD (or whatever the max is) in every capitol (but not for the AI players) to make sure a nation is not easily eliminated until later in the game when PD no longer matters. The neutral player could send additional pearls and even gold if a player is dying but still writing yarns. People do cheer for the underdogs. But death can obviously still happen even with all this and might make a darn good story for the losing side!
6. I like the idea of an unassailable neutral nation with massive astral income to send rewards for yarns. It could be like a news network, staying neutral and observing the world. Giving it the Eyes of God (with 999 gems so it won't get overwritten) and posting the full map every third turn would be really cool indeed.
7. Very difficult research. This will allow for lengthy story lines as the mages labor away forever and ever, trying to produce something worthwhile which their God has demanded. I really hate those normal research games where the high-research nations can be done before turn 50.
8. Maybe we could require all players to use a strong fort to help with the capitol defense. Perhaps give us a choice of Castle (80 pts) or Fortress (60 pts) only, both of which are quite useful and have the added bonus of making mad-castling a lot harder.

Thats all I can think of right now. This sounds amazingly fun! I can't wait to get started!!!

Panther
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:13 PM

General

Quote:

@Pasha: ^^
What does ^^ mean?
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:24 PM

General

I choose T'ien Chi (Spring & Autumn). Been grooving on them lately.

I am not particular about rules. Panther's suggestions are fine. A smaller map would be preferred. Wrapping is good.
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Corporal

Sedna is on a distinguished road

Count me in. I promise to cultivate a (somewhat) less bloodthirsty/world-dominating persona.

Zen's balance mods and difficult research are fine choices, and I think Panther's proposed hosting schedule (three fixed times a week) is excellent. Put the three day stretch over the work-week for those of us who have to deal with such things. I'm okay with restricting castle choices, but I hope people would choose the thematically appropriate options anyway (I still don't expect to see many mountain forts). Orania is a neat map, but it's so large and I'm not sure how I feel about AIs as they cannot write interesting stories. My gut instinct would be to go with a smaller map and try to have only humans.

The problem is not finding humans (they're everywhere), but finding truly dedicated ones. I hope everyone who is volunteering is prepared to be in this (and write) for the whole game. The original Yarnspinners will have taken about 8 months which is quite a commitment. Speaking of which, we should give this game an end condition also. If we're discouraging slaughter of active writers then we'll need some other way to crown a winner. 60 turns with points awarded for standing in the score charts worked pretty well, but clearly requires a small map so that interesting things will happen before the end.
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:52 PM

General

A couple of remarks, additions, suggestions...

- I would rather not have AIs either; however, if a few more nations are needed, I think I could play two or three minor nations, without the mighty PD or free astral pearls. That would also solve the matter of the independent nation.

- I like Panther's suggestion about the *much* improved PDC. This PD would appear after turn 2 I think, as the Gnomes of Zurich will need one turn to do some Mass Wishing (say, two hundred Visa wishes, which would give 175 gems times 200... Ought to be good enough to build up some nice PD in all capitals).

- On the topic of victory conditions, and giving a second chance: with the strengthened PD, I think nations will be safer from the wrath of their neighbours, so a victory by "killing 'em all" should work. If it appears that the game is becoming annoying because of two nations hoarding and playing the Maginot line, I guess the game could be ended then.

- On selecting nations: are you fine with picking nations on a "first come, first serve" basis, or would you rather select your nations in a random order? For example, the Mighty Dice could rule that Sedna will pick his nation first, and then it could be Pasha, and so on.

- On rewarding yarns: I would say some sort of consensus could be considered here. All yarns where some effort has been made may be worth one astral pearl, but if your fellow players enjoyed one of your yarns, it could result in one or two more pearls. Of course, if one of you knows someone willing to act the part of the Judge, please let us know.