.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

Shmonk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crazy Game - PBEM - Any takers?

Hmm... okay, I'll cave in and join 1 more game before Dom3. Put me down as Machaka.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PashaDawg said:
Jurri: Where is the best place to find the latest version of your Banner Mod?
Good question...

There it is! (Just in case your GUI makes you want to gauge your eyes out, you can rename one of the others, or the default one (located in the main folder), to replace it. Let me know how you like 'em!)
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Corporal

lebarjack is on a distinguished road

Can I take the last slot with Jotun?
I'm sure this little wolf rider hero is more useful with the hero mod
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Captain

Just downloaded the map... It sure looks nice! However, I notice there are some typos in the map files, which means that certain magic sites are not placed even though apparently intended. Like, on province #30 (a starting province, and with two powerful sites! I like this map already) there's an "Alchemists' Guild" in the map file, but on the map there isn't one. The glitches, acquired by comparing the map file to what shows up in the in-game provinces:
Code:

#setland 14
#knownfeature "Sirrinter"
This is the name of the province, so I don't think it's supposed to be a site at all

#setland 30
#knownfeature "Alchemists' Guild"
"Alchemists Guild"

#setland 33
#knownfeature "Well of White Waters"
no clue how it's spelled

#setland 54
#knownfeature "Lost Vale of the Elders"
#knownfeature "Troll Pit"
no clue how they are spelled

#setland 86
#knownfeature "The Sea of the Teras of Men"
"The Sea of the Tears of Men"

Anyone can fill in the spelling? This could be safely ignored, too, of course.

I haven't claimed a nation yet? I guess I'll take Mictlan. No, wait: I think the scenario allows for 6 land nations and 2 sea nations only, so if Stonebrow wants a land nation I guess I'll end up with R'lyeh.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Lebarjack!

Thanks Jurri for looking at the map. Should we correct the errors? I know nothing about map files, but it would be nice to correct those typos, etc. I think I have a list of special sites, and maybe I can help with corrections.

I am not sure that we are forced to have 2 water nations. Are we bound by a specific scenario?

Pasha
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:00 PM

General

Default Map Map Map

I found my list of special sites. This is what it leads me to conclude:

"Well of White Waters" should be "Well of White Water"

Apparently, "Alchemists' Guild" is correct.

"Lost Vale of the Elders" and "Troll Pit" look right according to my special list.

Jurri's other spelling changes are correct.

Pasha
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM

General

Default Re: Map Map Map

Ok. I am going to need everyone's email addresses. I think I have everyone's but shovah and lebarjack. I sent them PM's requesting their emails (and giving them mine).

Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM

Captain

Default Re: Map Map Map

I believe your source is incorrect: I verified the Alchemists guild by removing the apostrophe from the map file and it showed up just fine afterwards. Navigators guild doesn't have an apostrophe either, so it's consistent... On the other hand, Devil's Den for example does.

Interesting, this time both Troll Pit and Lost Vale of the Elders show up. Maybe there's another force afoot that makes my method of testing inaccurate? (Which was starting a game with about a dozen nations with 9 provinces each, then using F1 screen to compare the map-file and the game.) Well, who cares, with these corrections there shouldn't be any typo-induced flaws. Attached is a zip with both versions of the map-file fixed with the corrections. It's possible that I've introduced more errors to the mix so someone ought to double-check...

The scenario that has pre-set starting locations has room for 6 land nations only. Weren't we going to use that? It has two advantages: Firstly, it distributes players in a supposedly fair fashion. There are no nostart provinces at all set in the 'free'-version of the map, which might result in wonky placement. (In the extreme end, on the map there are a couple of nation specific sites that allow you to recruit troops there only if your capital is in the province in question. E.g. a house of Fiery Justice in #44. While impossible in the scenario, in the free version it's quite possible to start in #44 and thus gain the ability to recruit Grand Masters, even if you're not Marignon.) Huh, I don't really mind these balance-matters, so why am I the one doing the exposé? You choose!

Oh, be it as it may, I decided against Mictlan for another reason: in both maps there are a lot of possible extra sites in your capital. It would appear that the limit of 4 sites per province holds even in this case, so Mictlan with its three starting sites misses on the opportunity to benefit from the starting provinces that have two or more special sites. Thus I'll have Abysia, with only one special site, to maximize the possible boni to be had from starting placement! (Unless we go with the scenario in which case I'm stuck with R'lyeh, unless Stonebrow wants it. You should bug him into reporting for duty on the forum anyway )
Attached Files
File Type: zip 424523-correctedmap.zip (7.3 KB, 471 views)
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Corporal

Steerpike is on a distinguished road

Ok I will go Pan. Im still refining my techniques and this is a good opportunity. Oh Pasha called me Stonebrow if your wondering why I'm cutting in on this game
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM

General

If necessary, I could switch to R'lyah. I have never played them.

I like the idea of trying out the scenario for the map. So, let's keep that.

Thanks, Jurri, for checking out the map for errors.

I suppose we should finalize the nitty-gritty of the game. Here is what I suggest:

Magic Research: Normal (I am anticipating that this will be a relatively short game. So, let's get the magic research goin'.) Actually, I am thinking that every setting would be the default setting, for old time sake, except:
Independents set at 7;
Renaming on;
Hall of Fame at 15; and
Graphs off.

How does that work for folks?

As Jurri suggested, I think it would be fun if the game lasted only until I have Dominions 3 in my grubby paws, and I plan to own it as soon as possible. I have not preordered yet, and I will let players know when I order it. The player with the most provinces at that moment will be the BIG WINNER!! Then we can all rush off an play Dominions 3!! Yay. (I can share proof of delivery for the panel of judges, if needed.)

Would players prefer a daily turn or should we do something like Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday turn hosting?

Pasha