.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

ceremony is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Manual Typos

Quote:
Cainehill said:

Not exactly a typo, but :

Couldn't the manual's spell lists and whatnot have been sorted in _some_ fashion? They're not alphabetical. They're not sorted by school of magic, or by magic level.
Actually, all spells within a section are sorted by magic level within each path. The paths are listed alphabetically in each section, and within each path, they are sorted by level. The Death summons starting on p. 168 are a good example. They start at D1. Within D1, they are sorted by school, alphabetically (Conj before Ench) and again within Conj by ascending level (Ench 1 before Ench 2). This starts again in D2, with all the Conj spells being in ascending level order. And again in D3 (although Arouse Hunger is Alt and thus should probably be at the top of the D3 spells. So you got me there ). Multi-path spells are listed after single-paths spells if the primary paths are identical. See p. 209 (Astral Rituals) for another good example - all in path level order, then in school alpha order then level order if within the same path requirement. It is possible that in a few places I got one switched, as above, but consider that a typo.

In general, spell sorting was an important decision I made when I started the manual, and decided the most useful method would be by path, for the reasons I outlined on p. 143 in the intro to the grimoire. Within each path, they are sorted by level first rather than by school, again for reasons I tried to explain on p. 143.

Quote:
Cainehill said:
As well as having the national summonings mentioned, especially since once again there's zero rhyme or reason in the ordering of the nations : once again it's not alphabetical
I think it is alphabetical, unless I'm misunderstanding you and we are talking about a different section. For national summons, they start on p. 182 with Abysia. Then Agartha, Agartha GC, Agartha KD, Agartha PO, Arco, Atlantis, Atlantis FS, Bandar Log, etc. I won't type it all out but if you are talking about this section, then the nations are alphabetically sorted. I even sorted the few nations with multiple ages listed by the name of the nation (so Agartha GC before KD before PO). I remember this because it required a lot of cutting, pasting, sorting, and re-checking to get them into this order.
Old October 17th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Ewww. The problem is that for national summons, it winds up jumping helter-skelter : Shinumaya for example goes Conj-3, Conj-5, Conj-1, etc, going up and down. I see now that it's astral, then death, etc, but that seems silly within national summons. That it's sorted at all is disguised because Astral comes before Nature, but looking at the Path column, Astral is 'S' - so 'S' is coming before 'N'.

Seems it would've made more sense to sort alphabetically within levels of schools of research, but...

On the nations you may be right, now that I'm looking at them again. Working night shift is playing havoc on my brain cell.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

I'm not really sure if this is a typo, but Middle Ear Mictlan, The Reign of the Lawgiver, has no national example strategy, even though it is quite different from other ages of mictlan. (that's page 123 BTW)
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:58 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Murdering Winter is listed in the manual as costing 45 gems, but the game specifies 50.

Summon Mound Fiend lists the Mound Fiend's paths as D3; should be D3H2.

Tartarian Gate should probably not list (x1) in parentheses. There are multiple possible Tartarians, but none of them are in limited quantity as far as I know.

~~ Omissions

Hama Dryad summon perhaps should mention that they suffer if they leave their home province. Ditto for Naiads.

Tlahuelpuchi tags might want to mention Shapeshifting.

Void Spectre: Special, causes insanity.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:21 AM

Corporal

olaf73 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I dont see the nation specific ritual Illwinter in the Grimoire index or in the ritual section of the Grimoire.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:25 PM

Corporal

Louist is on a distinguished road

Tables: p. 48, 49, 85:
The shaded tables in the manual cause letters to be left out on alternating lines.

Inconsistant use of periods within lists: p. 61, 62, 80, 92:
By this I just mean that some of the sentences within a single list have periods and punctuation, while others do not.

Tutorial: p. 12:
The screen shot shows the druid "Draam" to be named Ladenius. Not a big problem. Later in the tutorial, Draam is again referred to by another name, though I can't seem to find it just skimming through.

Also:
Territory names are sometimes used more than once on the pre-made maps. For instance, the larger "Glory of the Gods" map has two Scraw Points, territories (273) and (299).

Otherwise, a great manual of really amazing size.
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road

Grammatical error
page 136 - Middle Age Ulm
..cavalry and large monsters while the bowmen get engage enemy archers and light troops.

"Get" should be removed, most likely.
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Twiceborn - erroneous spell description

In-game description says it works only on slain mages, i.e. in combat.

Manual simply states "if caster dies in friendly dominion" .. what would include drowning, disease, etc..

But the spell works only in combat, actually, therefore the text in the manual should be changed to "caster slain (during a battle) in friendly dominion".
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:34 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

I know it worked on diseased commanders in Dom2, haven't got a chance to try it in Dom3
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Would also be interesting to see if it brings them back from the dead from magic assassinations, magic arrows from afar, etc. If not - bug city, imo.