.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 28th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Question

I've been playing WinMBT since release and before that SPWW2 for about a month.

I think I've got a fair handle on things so now I want to make a scenario.

Couple of questions... (please no RTFM answers)
In general I understand that the process goes like this...
1) Build Map
2) Hack the OOBs to conform to my desired troop levels.
3) Place AI units and player units
4) Tweak and finalize

Questions
1) Is it possible to penalize victory points for blowing up certain buildings?
2) Is it possible to force the AI to do certain things?
3) Are there any websites for OOB information that I can use? Mostly concerned with US/USMC and Iranian or <insert Middle Eastern country here> circa 2005.

Any helpful advise appreciated.

tyvm
scJazz
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie Question

Questions

You may use buildings like ammo depot with a modified high cost and then you may assign next to them a VP flag. This way if/when the enemy destroy the depot the AI will score points that will influence the level of victory.

There are several advanced mechanisms in scenario designing that may force the AI to do a lot of things...

3) Are there any websites for OOB information that I can use? Mostly concerned with US/USMC and Iranian or <insert Middle Eastern country here> circa 2005.

From what I know there are few in the net and probably other users may help you on this. I know one, it is a Yahoo list under the name of TO&Es.

cheers,
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
scJazz said:

2) Hack the OOBs to conform to my desired troop levels.

tyvm
scJazz
hack the OOBS? - as in use mobhack to make something your wy??. Well - if you do so then you will have to distribute your modified OOB as well (remember to tell the end user to install init a custom OOB folder, and to remember to install the custom OOB from there withthe file maid utility ).

Or - what i think you mean is
- buy the forces
- use the scenario editor data modification tools to tweak a few items not provided in the default OOB?

Biulding a scenario based on a hacked OOB (using Mobhack) and the distribution of same, is not a "first timer" way of building scenarios.

Cheers
Andy
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Sergeant

Perfect ty Andy & Pyros. Exactly the sort of answers needed to avoid doing something dumb.
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Sergeant

ROTFLMAO...

Like some sort of naive idiot I just went to Yahoo Groups and did a search for TOE. OMIGOD what a search! Don't do it if your the sensitive type.

Here is the site if anyone else needs it.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
scJazz said:
<snip>
Questions

Buildings alone so not have points so you can destroy as you like and not change the victory conditions. On the other hand if you wanted to make a building that destroying it WOULD cost points you could, as Pyros suggested, put an ammo dump with modified points in it and if someone destroys it would be V points added or deducted from one side or the other sides victory conditions. WHO'S victory conditions that would affect would be determined by who you buy the ammo dump for. I assume you'd want to use it to penalize the human player and stop him from using High explosives to take a building. If so put an ammo dump for P1 in that building.
I don't know if anyones actually done that before though

Quote:
scJazz said:

Yes, you can use waypoints to create a patrol zone. Waypoints are tricky to use for most people but if you keep in mind you should set it up so that it uses less MP than the units you plan to put on patrol you will be OK genersally ( the WP are removed one by one every turn so if you make them too long you'll have problems. If you make them a little shorter than you think they need to be that's just about perfect. You can use WP to force the AI to select a specific route through the map in the same way just keep the points a bit less than the slowest unit . Patrols are a great way to use WP as it means there is very little chance a player will encounter those troops in the same place twice

Also...

We don't encourage using non standard OOB's for sceanrios. Use the stock OOB's and then everyone will be able to play it just by clicking on it. if you build it with non standard OOB's you can GUARANTEE that 10% will forget then complain ( to us! ) that we have a "bug" in the game becasue half their forces are missing icons ( becasue you built it with your own OOB's and they didn't install them ) It's also a real PITA for players to install special OOB's for 1 sceanrio even though we've gone to great lengths to make it easier for people with our new "Manage OOB" feature.

It's always best to use the stock OOB's

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....