Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:40 AM

Corporal

whdonnelly is on a distinguished road
Default "Red Dawn" Helo issues

I am playing a RED DAWN scenario in which I land my OH-58A Kiowa behind some buildings to preserve it for later in the game. The deadly OSA air defense system is to be able to find it setting on the ground and destroy it. It's happened several games in a row so I have to ask if this is normal? The US M48 Chaparral don't seem to b able to even see the Soviet helicopters.
Attached Files
File Type: zip zip (2).zip (154 Bytes, 151 views)
File Type: zip zip.zip (149.8 KB, 141 views)
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WinSPMBT version 7.0 Upgrade patch

I'll take a look at this in the next few days

Don
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WinSPMBT version 7.0 Upgrade patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdonnelly View Post
I am playing a RED DAWN scenario in which I land my OH-58A Kiowa behind some buildings to preserve it for later in the game. The deadly OSA air defense system is to be able to find it setting on the ground and destroy it. It's happened several games in a row so I have to ask if this is normal? The US M48 Chaparral don't seem to b able to even see the Soviet helicopters.

In future, please do not post general bug reports in a thread with another topic...start a separate thread for that as it makes referring back to it later much easier

I'll look into this one.

Andy

Last edited by DRG; April 23rd, 2013 at 05:08 PM..
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: "Red Dawn" Helo issues

Here's a preliminary response but we will be digging further.

The problem cannot be recreated in a new custom sceanrio where an OSA targets a landed helo through trees and houses.

If the OSA's are moved even one hex in that save game the targeting is lost

That's what we "know".... what we don't know is why and it could just be some weirdness connected with that particular scenario and we could never recreate it independantly no matter what we did or it could go away simply by re-saving the original sceanrio ( stranger things have happened ). That is not to say we have given up--- we just don't have time ATM to dig much deeper but it's been noted.

Don
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK, both Andy and I have looked into this and a number of questions are raised

1/ What version of the game are you playing ?

2/ What version of the scenario are you playing....is it the one in slot 260 ?

3/ The scenario you are playing has been modified. We know this because the re-enforcements that arrive all all facing left or right. The release scenario in the game in slot 260's re-enforcements are all facing towards the battle lines

4/ When we place the Kiowa in the same place you have it and set it to landed by turn 4 then allow the game to play through the OSA's do not have a target lock on the Kiowa

5/ After the OSA's arrive on map using the release issued scenario even if the Kiowa is at low altitude the OSA's do not pick it up as a target

6/ Even when the Kiowa is place at high altitude with the release scenario AFTER the OSA's have been on the map for two turns they DO NOT target the Kiowa unless I fly it back and forth to attract their attention and then the OSA's will respond

7/ After trying that provocative activity a couple times and having the Kiowa blasted out of the sky each time I managed to get a save where the OSA missed and I was able to land in the same spot you are in your save game. This is when we confirmed there is some sort of bug because even though the Kiowa was landed behind buildings and trees the OSA's still had a target lock on it and that's now on our list.

That all said, there is something odd with the save game you sent as the re-enforcements are not facing correctly and that only happens after a unit is bought or replaced and the scenario saved again.
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Corporal

Don, Andy,
That was a modified Scenario 260 of the version 7 upgrade patch of the game, that slipped my mind when I finally saved what I thought was the right point. I placed it in that new patch thread in case it was a terrain issue and not a bug. Texas is very flat in this scenario, not much to hide you from radar. I admit I didn't check other threads for any similar issues or instructions for attaching saved games because I'm in a hit or miss zone for internet.
I do appreciate your prompt attention.
Thanks
Will
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Corporal

To clarify, I fly the OH-58 as close to the bottom of the map as I can to scout the enemy approach, once tank or helicopter fire drive it away I'll head back to the north edge of the board and land behind my A0 unit, usually turn 3 or 4. If the 2 OSAs haven't knocked it out during the flight they will catch it on the ground and engage until it's KIA. Sound like you found a trigger for it, but this way seems to guarantee it.
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

We have the preliminary tests done but we'll try to fine tune it down once we start code work again but right now it looks like when a radar AA unit locks on to you it "owns your a$$" like a F&F missile so it *appears* it's not properly breaking LOS. We'll know better when we test further but I DO know that when the OSA's were already on map and I had the helo on the ground they didn't "see" it until I popped up and thumbed my nose at them but once they had fired and missed and I landed the next turn brought the missiles again even though they could not possibly see me.

It's a bug but not one many people will encounter. I still need to see what will happen when I try this with something other than flat terrain. It's somewhat unusual to not have a hill to hide behind

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I've occasionally noted the same thing when trying to "hide" helos behind buildings/trees (hills have never been a problem).

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein