.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 24th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Private

tmac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Working with SPMBT

Good to see all these familiar names..I've been waiting eagerly for the win version so I can use it easily on my PC, plus I missed modern fights.
Wild Bill, wasn't one of your old SP3 camapigns a monster about Iwo Jima? I'd love to try that one with this game.
well, hello all,
Tim
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:25 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Hello Bill, nice to see you here ...

One little request - could you please make sure that the enemies mid-battle reinforcements do not pop up just under my tanks which outflank the enemy?
It's very annoying the get a rear shot from the neighbouring hex by something that just beamed into a hex I passed through the last turn.

Had this happen in SPWAW more than once. If it happens again, I'll call Scotty and let him beam me behind your back

Stefan

edited: grandma
Old June 25th, 2005, 02:02 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Yes - that sort of pop up on the main map may be valid in a counter insugency type game though (insurgent appears out of a sewer, or it represents a "civilian" pulling out a grenade or whatever

However, on an open battlefield, arriving reinforcements should probably only appear right at the map edge they arrive on (within 1-2 hexes maybe), and not "teleport" into the main playing area .

Any of your troops who were hugging that edge and then suddenly found enemy troops in thier midst/flank/rear can be assumed to have been outflanked/and or ambushed by the enemy reinforcements arriving unexpectedly. So you will have to pay some attention to flank security on the map edges, and cannot then assume it is "dead ground" beyond the grey hexes !

Cheers
Andy
Old June 25th, 2005, 02:41 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

I agree with Andy,

If I may add to this subject, I think that even in the case of incoming hostile reinforcements from the edge of the map, the scenario designer should edit the map and include a warning text to that (aprox) location.

cheers,
Pyros

p.s of course there are exceptions. As for example when there is an enemy base near the edge of the map, then you may consider the edges of the map near that base as a possible entry points for hostile patrols.
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

The most annoying case was a french tank platoon, appearing right out of nowhere on the street I just drove through ... some 10 hex from the edge of the battlefield.

Another one some suicide bombers, '44 style: popped up right behind my inf that 'secured' a village. Called in an airstrike. .. the 500kg bombs whiped out everyone ... (2 hex radius splash damage...)

Old June 25th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road
Default Popup Troops

Like any good thing, this can be overdone. In scenario design, the designer must make the human player be aware of his flanks and his conquests.

It is not enough to take a position. You must hold it. It is not enough to advance into the enemy. You must be prepared for his flanking your advance and cutting you off.

Such design tactics encourage a certain caution on the part of the human player.

ON THE OTHER HAND! If the best a designer can do is to put troops behind you to make a challenge that is not good. And sooner or later you come to expect it and it has no challenge. It becomes an annoyance.

SO....let's mix it up. You will have mines sometimes, guerrillas sometimes, strong frontal attacks, flanking moves, hidden defenses, unexpected armor or artillery, but you'll never know till you play.

One thing we will do, I promise you. We'll try to be as histrorical as possible while keeping the scenario/campaign challenging and surprising. And yes, most will be the smaller quick play type.

But you can look for what I call a "Momo" (Monster machine at 6 Flags of Georgia, with tentacle arms, what spins you till you get nauseated), a monster scenario for those who enjoy them.

Give me a little time to prepare some material, do some research and you'll see some scenarios from the old Kunel soon.

THanks for the kind words and the encouragement.

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Popup Troops

Quote:
WBWilder said:It is not enough to take a position. You must hold it. It is not enough to advance into the enemy. You must be prepared for his flanking your advance and cutting you off.
WB - Not sure you know it BUT unlike SPWAW where you are limited to 4 Reinforcement Hexes, with SPMBT/SPWW2 comes the ability to use EVERY hex as a Reinforcement Hex.
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

WOW! I repeat, WOW! I had no idea! THanks, Double D. I'll have to look into that one and try to figure out how to do it. Great news, indeed!

WB

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

WB, WinSPMBT is a different game from SPWAW so I propose you read carefully the manual (Campaign & Scenario editor section) and if you have any question, post it here and I will try to assist you.

Pyros
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default For Those Who Offered Help

Thank you so much!

Would those of you willing to help in scenario/campaign testing drop me a line to my e-mail address, please?

bwilder@bellsouth.net

Give me a little background on yourself and your gaming experience. It will probably be at least a week before I can answer so don't consider no immediate reply as rejection. I'll be at the Origins Convention until July3rd, then some catching up at home and I'll probably wait for my enhanced purchased copy before really getting into some detail.

I can use you all, but we'll keep the team relatively small, no more than 5 or 6. Man, I'm really thrilled about our possibilities.

Remember, drop me a note when you can with your e-mail address. We'll make a group e-mail so we can be in contact.

Wild Bill

Wild Bill Wilder
Scenario Designer