.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 12th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road
Default MA Agartha, or Yet another thread fishing for tips

I must confess, I'm bit at loss regarding MA Agartha. And I would need to get on track in like, 24 hours or something.

So, please: Pimp my nation.

My problem, as I see it:
  • Everyone needs money, especially guys with expensive castles and 400-gold mages. So I need Order.
  • The troops are actually nice if a bit resource intensive. Therefore, I need Production.
  • The mages bar the least ones are old, so I dare no Death.
  • My base researchers have but 3 RP, so I'd like to have Magic.
  • The troops are heavy and lacking in bows, so I need my pretender to help me from the go.
In other words, where in the world I'm supposed to get the points I'm needing? Min/maxing is not my style, neither is playing an Ulmish nation, but I'd like to at least survive the initial fray. So, any imput is appreciated.

Also, research focus: any consensus whether it is the most urgent to focus on Buffs (Alt), direct Damage (Evo), Troops (Ench) or trying to outfit the recruitable one-eyes into Thugs (Const) first? Fortunately the MA Agartha mages can manage something in each, but the research time might be limited.

Thank you.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA Agartha, or Yet another thread fishing for tips

Dont have much time to type right now but take high dominion. MA Agartha has the same effect as dom2's golem cult meaning your constructs get a +10%(i think its 10) health bonus per level of your dominion they are fighting in. That dominion bonus along with your powerful sacred constructs is very nasty.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Captain

Evilhomer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA Agartha, or Yet another thread fishing for

well im guessing this is for the mega game that will start soon, so my advice is based on a very large game:
----
I would absolutly get order 3 (since you need the gold) and growth 3 (since growth pay off the larger/longer the game is).
----
If you must have an awake pretender I would go with dom 6, awake cyclops (earth 5) production 2 (nice to have for your units), heat 3 (you lose 15% income but you need the points), misfortune 3(its not so bad since you have order 3 and growth 3, you can say goodbye to any heroes showing up tho, but you need the points) and magic 1 (yes you need some research bonus). The awake cyclops have enough armor + fear to beat most indies, but use him wisely (don't throw him at knights or anything dangerous). Later on you can get gear for him and turn him into a good SC, opponents might think twice about messing with him.

----
Another choice is to make the cyclops sleeping and get production 3, magic 3 and only misfortune 2 instead for the extra 150 points. You will have a nice SC showing up in just 10 turns and with the high production and gold you should do fine early anyhow. With magic 3 you can do 5 rp with your very cheap mages, something that can lead to a nice endgame.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Captain

Thanks guys, and, um, I'll be seeing you in the aforementioned game. :>

Evilhomer, that's about the kind of push I was looking for, thanks. I would never take anything even resembling heat3 misfortune3 on my own. And gotta still think about it, guess I still like to feel lucky.

Too much to do, too little time. Had missed the sacredness of the constructs (but not the sweet high hp), I need new eyeglasses, preferably with a new head included.

EDIT: AND GO FINLAND GO! Lions to the hockey world championship finals, YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

...krhom, sorry...
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Captain

With the build i suggested i would go for construction (2 or 4) first in order to equip the cyclops (or i guess you can try your diplomacy and hope to trade all items with someone) . then probably thaum 2 to get gnome lore. After that i guess it depends on the situation, but you probably going to go for evoc or enchantment. Your main problem later on is probably going to be magic diversity and gem income, so i would look for indie mages as well as trying to trade booster with other nations. well anyway, good luck to you
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Captain

Quote:
Evilhomer said:well anyway, good luck to you
Likewise. :>

...and I'd like to see a nation that didn't have problem with magic diversity these days. When I was young you could see the specifics of the dominion by just looking at the map, use even scouts to find young girls and get high scores in any path you ever wanted.
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Brigadier General

EA Tien Chi dosnt really have problems with magical diversity
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Captain

Quote:
Shovah32 said:
EA Tien Chi dosnt really have problems with magical diversity
:P

And there's a reason why TC Spring and Autumn has been my personal favourite since I got Dominions2.

BTW, does the misfortune 3 hurt or does it HURT? Is it totally normal to get turn after turn unrest increasing events on your capital? Speaking with order 3. Of course, having unrest just makes it more probable for new brigangs appearing, so it might just be bad luck, but anyway.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Captain

Missfortune is not that big deal with 3 order. The number of events you get is caped, so when your nation grows bigger you are not going to notice the missfortune really. The problem is early on if you have a stroke of bad luck i suppose, since it can hamper your growth if you get unrest at your capital. Im almost always using atleast mis 1-2, and im usually fine. You just have to cross your fingers i suppose
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Brigadier General

Well i have gotten a plague in my capitol on turn 2 before(with great scales but misfortune 2) which reduced it to 14k pop.