.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

View Poll Results: In what mode is most of your time spent playing?
I mainly play against the AI. 28 77.78%
I mainly play Pbem. 7 19.44%
I play a pretty even mix of Pbem and against the AI. 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Corporal

Warwick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pbem vs AI . . In what mode is most of your time spent playing?

100% AI, but intend to try PBEM in the future.

Regards, Warwick
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:15 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Pbem vs AI . . In what mode is most of your time spent playing?

I like both for different reasons.

PBEM because the Commander is human and as such even if they have a doctrine or two there will be surprises, plus it is easier to come up with different reason d' guerre to play under.

AI games because I can play more turns and battles especially when I have some spare time. Plus I can trial all sorts of ideas and what ifs.!!!

Heck it's all simply grand.

BTW m113apc, if you want to PBEM and you can't keep a schedule so to speak, as long as I know that going in it is not a problem.

I have 3 PBEM Campaigns, one PBEM Battle and a AI Campaign of some sort or other going at any given time so one more irregular PBEM will not hurt.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:38 PM

Corporal

m113apc is on a distinguished road

Hey Bob

I will like that Bob.
But I have a two week Nato maneuver coming up, and a lot of other stuff before that, so just so you know, that it can be and on and off thing, but my whole schedule isn’t ready yet for the next month or so.

IL page you.

Can you or anyone lay out some ground rules for this kind of gaming?
How is the nationality chosen between players, map, visibility, type of game (meeting, delay etc), and points to buy stuff and what to buy?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:05 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can you or anyone lay out some ground rules for this kind of gaming?
How is the nationality chosen between players, map, visibility, type of game (meeting, delay etc), and points to buy stuff and what to buy?
I am sure Bob will hold your hand through the process hes a top guy but generaly ask first time you play some one new & discuss, worth talking to him before you are ready to start so game is ready to go.

Most people use these
Standard settings so 100% training breakdown C&C etc on.
For meetings arty 10% rule > you can spend up to 10% of your points on arty, ask some people include air most don't

Other common rules
Sensible forces
Not 30 ATGMs & 50 snipers, yes people waste your time so mention this
Some people like to keep fairly realistic with simple rules
Max allocation
Sniper 1 per inf comp
MMG, RPG teams, scouts etc 1 per inf platoon.
If the company comes with these you can't buy extra but if not can.
No ammo resupply
Arty rules to govern gun size. My view makes for a better game as many people just buy big stuff.
Something like 1 bat of 155s for every 2 smaller depends on time frame.

People come up with others & you can create specific house rules to recreate a situation

Choosing the game
Most people go for meetings certainly first time against a new opponent
Size map & sides is specific to what you fancy suggest what you would like to play & work out. Its easy enough can suggest a battle & let other player choose sides if like.
Same with vision if you fancy a low vis battle see if he does.
Some people think playing on a pre genmap is cheating as you might know it. Big deal you would have to play that map a lot (boring) for it to be a cheat & that would probably be the least of your problems with that guy.
If you have just played that map say

Time wasters
Unfortunatly you will come across this breed of people, I doubt anyone plays them more than once but the guys that put out totaly stupid forces & or try to cheat.
I would suggest you play on full security as if the guy has an unerving skill at knowing where you are you can press the 1key numeric & it will list loads saves & fails. The odd fail is fine funny things happen but if hes had 7 by go 4 he has probably played every turn several times. The fails are whats important but as I said just look at if think hes superhuman then say goodbye.
If use full security always zip/rar your files or you will get a corruption at some point & always play on the same computer.
Basic security zipping still makes sense but you can play on any computer which might help you & would be fine against Bob.
You will also probably come up against the odd guy that moans all the time blaming his equipment the game "why don't my tanks shoot back" etc. Just remind them its the same for both of you & you play for fun not to be moaned at, if that fails quit.

Hope this helped & any questions on feel free to PM me happy to help broaden your gaming experience.
Suggest if you want to talk about more on the board set up a new topic
John

Last edited by Imp; January 22nd, 2009 at 01:15 AM..
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM

First Lieutenant

Lightbulb Re: Pbem vs AI . . In what mode is most of your time spent playing?

Good day, m113apc

Imp covered things quite well. Additionally there is a difference between one off PBEM games, and Campaign PBEM. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) it boils down to realism. One off games you can commit yourself down to the scout if you want, but in the Campaign PBEM as it is against the AI, conservation of forces is very important, which to me is important, this is not say being wiped out it not possible. Ask Imp he blew me away our last Campaign.

Another point about PBEM that blindsided me when I got back into it, is be very aware the other Commander is human not the AI. Things that work against AI don't against human Commanders. Not that this bothered me as I play to have fun, win or lose.

Rules and pre-game set up are something between the players; these even change over time as you play. Reasons usually with the people I play are an effort to increase the realism. We have even stopped and restarted campaigns just to get things right.

On cheaters, I've never understood the need, but they were the reason I quit PBEM a few years back!

So far though this forum all my "enemies" are Honourable. AND even better yet a joy to do combat with. I always look forward to the next E-mail with the "file".

Another good idea that I do for PBEM is have a copy of the Game loaded just for PBEM, that makes it easier once things are set up and if you are playing with other setting against the AI then the two don't get confused.

Lastly as a personal note, I'm not sure if you have the CD if not I DO play one off games I just prefer Campaigns. You may find if you don't have the CD you may want it play Campaigns PBEM it was a huge selling point for me and I bought MBT as well.

Any other questions feel to ask. BTW have a good EX and do spend time out in the field pondering, " well if I had my Nashorn sited on this rise how many T34's would die before the enemy shells me!!" LOL or maybe you are doing that for real anyway.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:18 AM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

Bob,

We've never played - fancy another PBEM Campaign?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:20 AM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

M113,

Do you have the CD version?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On cheaters, I've never understood the need, but they were the reason I quit PBEM a few years back!
Tough luck Bob & you are right, the strange thing is I can't understand how cheating is actualy fun. Playing the same turn 3 times must be very exiting. Not to mention sitting there watching 100 3% shots at hordes of helos snipers.
Winning is nice but for me its when you pull off a bold move or that oh C%#3 moment happens that make the game. If you cheat your never going to get that yes feeling when you pull something off or chastise your troops for missing all 3 shots at 90%.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Cool Re: Pbem vs AI . . In what mode is most of your time spent playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Tough luck Bob & you are right, the strange thing is I can't understand how cheating is actualy fun. Playing the same turn 3 times must be very exiting. Not to mention sitting there watching 100 3% shots at hordes of helos snipers.
Winning is nice but for me its when you pull off a bold move or that oh C%#3 moment happens that make the game. If you cheat your never going to get that yes feeling when you pull something off or chastise your troops for missing all 3 shots at 90%.

Amen to that Imp!

Bob out!

Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM

First Lieutenant

Thumbs up Re: Pbem vs AI . . In what mode is most of your time spent playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHale View Post
Bob,

We've never played - fancy another PBEM Campaign?
Good day, John

What do you have in mind?

Bob out