Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old September 30th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Private

stormbringer3 is on a distinguished road
Default Windows 7?

Steel Panthers is still in my top ten of PC games. I'm getting a new PC soon which will have Windows 7. Any thoughts on how this game will function on Windows 7 would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Windows 7?

We have had one report sent to Shrapnel about this.

Quote:
I'm testing WINDOWS 7 RC (not the download, but the DVD that MS supplies partners).

DL-ed the SPMBT game and patches OK. However, when I was installing V4.0 and V4.5, when I hit EXIT on the last Install window, a message came up saying that it may not have installed correctly. It had a "REINSTALL USING RECOMMENDED SETTINGS" option, which fixed it.

But, I didn't know if you'd tested SPMBT against W7, yet.

If you haven't played with it, it is a good OS. It's running faster than XP ever did!

Thanks!

Buddy Knight

I'm not sure why the 4.0 and 4.5 patches behaved differently but from this one report it does seem like this version of Windows may be game friendly but we'll know more in a few months

Don
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Private

jfcottigny is on a distinguished road

Hello all !
Newcomer on this forum but having been playing SP then WinSP for a long time, I still play it a lot, and like many of you bought a new computer with Vista (no comment...) and upgraded it to Windows 7.
Got no loading/installing problem, never play intro, but in Vista like in Windows 7 I have fuzzy colors when launching the game, whether from options or directly. Used the tricks described in the Vista problems forum, which worked well with Vista, but no longer so well with Windows 7.
I found a solution, quite boring but which works : 1- stop Avast (that's the one I use...). 2- go to config panel, screen resolution (or whatever it is called in English, being French I use a French version), and modify it, 3- try to launch the game. If it doesn't work, try from options panel. If it still doesn't work, modify resolution again and try again. In the end it works. I told you, quite boring, but it's all I found. Hope it will help, and if you know an easier way, I of course am interested (even if I love modifying resolution every 10 seconds...).
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Assume running in window? Sounds like something is still corrupting the pallette or games pallette is not picked up for some reason. Does it only happen at start & if switch windows or ALT TAB if full screen but is otherwise stable? Possible thing to try launch game splash screen (options) before launch the game right click on your desktop & select refresh.
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Assume running in window? Sounds like something is still corrupting the pallette or games pallette is not picked up for some reason. Does it only happen at start & if switch windows or ALT TAB if full screen but is otherwise stable? Possible thing to try launch game splash screen (options) before launch the game right click on your desktop & select refresh.
As already mentioned somewhere on these forums - either WW2 or MBT, does not matter. If you have an O/S query, check both fora.

Avast happens to be the virus checker I use. Avast has a globe-spinny thing in the task tray (or several, depending on how you set it up). It seems to play with the Windows 256 colour palette as used in full screen mode, even though it should only be spinning its globe in windows mode. It also tries to pop up windows for e.g. database updates in full screen modes. The answer of course is to start the avast options dialogue and find the check box for 'check for full screen applications (eg games) ... ' in "troubleshooting" and check that box, since it is not the default Avast behaviour!.

Doing that has made it less often that the palette gets messed up if you alt-tab out to windows from full screen mode. It still does, and it definitely seems to be avast since XP was pretty stable about it before I installed it. It seems to be the spinning globe, and avast has no check box for 'don't spin your irritating globe icon in full screen mode'...

The original poster did not mention if he was talking about full screen or windowed mode, helpful information to have since they use entirely different palette handling methods. But my bet is full screen mode.

Cheers
Andy
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Might be worth getting people to list there graphic card, could be an issue with 1 make of. I run avast without problems & when it does a pop up in full screen mode the game remains stable & corrupts the popup pallette, fairly basic ATI card. Make sure they have up to date drivers might help to but so many setups its hard to tell whats going on
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Private

jfcottigny is on a distinguished road

Hi all !
As quoted I run in full screen (windowed = no problem, that's not the matter, everyone has no understood that in windowed mode it always runs).
From reading these fora, that's what I had understood about avast, hte spinning globe causes problems. But I had avast with XP and never encountered any problem. Only since Vista and Win7.
For info, my graphic card is ATI Radeon 4800 series. And driver up to date.
So, to sum it up, Avast is to be modified/disconnected, but even doing that, I have to modify the resolution one or more times. And then it works, but you have to "win your right to play"...
Thanks all for the time passed and help !
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM

Private

Zonks is on a distinguished road

Hi all
I have the fuzzy background only in the menus, when I select the battle/Campaign, selecting troops and so on, but when I enter a battle it is as normal, no problems.
Problem has occurred since going to Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, all my hardware is the same as before the change.

AMD 6000+ 64Bit
4GB DDR2
Geforce GTX 275 with latest drivers.
Windows 7 64bit
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonks View Post
Hi all
I have the fuzzy background only in the menus, when I select the battle/Campaign, selecting troops and so on, but when I enter a battle it is as normal, no problems.
Problem has occurred since going to Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, all my hardware is the same as before the change.

AMD 6000+ 64Bit
4GB DDR2
Geforce GTX 275 with latest drivers.
Windows 7 64bit
What precisely is this "fuzzy background" anyway?.

When you have gone past the game options menu (which is a standard Windows programme), you are in the game EXE itself, and it uses the same DirectX graphics engine throughout.

Does running in Windowed mode vs. full screen show any difference?

Cheers
Andy
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM

Private

Zonks is on a distinguished road

[IMG]SPWW2[/IMG]

Above is the main screen and is also the same for all others except the battle screen, which is fine.
I will have a go in windows mode next.

Mark.