.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old May 10th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Private

a_ver_est is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A runamia AAR

13st Battle ( Assault - 41 turn - visibility 90 )

Pre-battle

Tanks were gone from the battalion, from there it was a pure infantry force with their support weapons.

Battle Plan:

Finally Spring arrived, the ground was green again. The combat area was mostly plain and with a center forest zone. There was a road and a railway from north to south at the map center, another road from east to west was at the southern region. One objective was next to this road behind a forest.

The center objective was surrounded by trees and the farther north objective was in a clear plain. Two small hills were in front of the target area.

The obvious approach avenue was the south road, for this reason the battalion avoided using it. Cpt Samoila deployed his forces at the north, companies A and B in the front, C as reserves. The engineers platoon between A and B ready to clear the path if necessary. Two AT-guns per company plus two more as reserve.

As always the recon company were going to go slightly ahead.

Go:

The head of our forces did contact after a few minutes of advance, there were some infantry squads dig in at the north plains supported by infantry guns and AAMG, also in front of the of the forest three pillboxes were located.

Artillery was called to suppress the machine guns and to lay a smoke curtain in front of the pillboxes. Snipers and HMG were move on the top of the dominating hill to have good firing positions.

Company A started to advance versus the dig in defenders but they were progressing slowly, a mine belt was detected and engineers needed to open a few paths through it while under fire, Company B moved against the pillboxes supported by two engineers platoons. C was still reserved, but a small recon forces was send to check the defenses at the southern objectives.

More defenders were located near the slope of the hill blocking the path to the pillboxes, a fierce fight started to be able to reach those pillboxes ASAP. After few minutes most of the defenders were routed. Meanwhile more smoke were laid.

Checking that companies A and B didn't need reinforcements to progress, the Cpt Samoila decided to use the reserve force to engage the third objective. Due the apparent lack of enemy armor the AT guns were sent to support the attack being used with HE heads.

The road defenders were engaged from long distance with HMG and the AT-guns, they were suppressed by the fire allowing regular infantry bypass the defenders and kept progressing against the objective.

At the center and north objectives our troops kept advancing, some enemy opened long range fire. Artillery was called to suppress them.

Engineers successfully assaulted the pillboxes, and the center defender were overwhelm, also at the north defenders routed or retreated, allowing an easy capture of the objectives.

AT-gun tractors were used to transport troops speeding their advance to the southern target. Defense were set towards the road so they were attacked by their rear and destroyed without problems.

Decisive victory for us !!

Post Battle thoughts:

An easy battle, with very few loses. This is my first battle were both sides are using only infantry, really fun. I didn't miss a lot my small tank force, Also the spring arrival made the advance easier.

P.S.

Over a year without updating the AAR, really sorry but my free time has been really short. I hope I am going to be able to update it regularity from now.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:44 AM

Private

14st Battle ( Advance - 34 turn - visibility 24 )

Battle Plan:

The area was slightly forested with several clear areas. The north-west corner was crossed by a river. There was a road from west to east, a bridge crossed the river. This road might be the main approx avenue for the enemy.

There were 3 objectives, the forward north objective (Alpha)was next to a river in a clear area with some isolated trees lines. In front of it there was a small hill which could provide some cover. The central objective (Beta) was inside a forest. The south objective (Gamma) was on the top of small hill in a clear area.

Companies A and B were to advance against Alpha and Beta respectively. B was supported by engineers as antitank infantry which should be effective in a closed forest area like Beta. Anti tank guns were deployed at the north area (mainly clear) but ordered to shoot only at short distance.

Company C plus an AT-gun section were deployed at the rear ready to support A or B.

Two platoons of our recon force were ordered to set two observation outpost in front of Gamma to check enemy activity. When Alpha and Beta were under our control our forces had to turn their attack vector against Gamma.

Artillery were ordered to blow the bridges over the river ASAP.

We had the support of Romanian Air Force this time, 8 Stukas were at our service.

Go:

As soon as battle started our artillery destroyed one of the bridges over the river. Our companies advanced over their objectives. Company A at north soon did contact with the spearhead of the enemy force, mainly BA-6, BA-10 and T-60. As we supposed they were using the road to fast advance, our artillery fired over them destroying a few, suppressing others and forcing the mounted squads to unload.

Engineers fast advanced on trucks and took defensive position inside the forest around Beta objective, company B advanced on foot to support engineers.

Our recon force set their observation outposts as ordered and waited.

The light forces of the enemy were followed by a large armor formation, 2 Kv1 plus several T-26 supported by T-60 light tanks and some infantry. Company A plus our AT-guns engaged this force, infantry took positions over the hill in front of Alpha, a section advanced to the trees line. At-guns were deployed at the plain using the holes of the trees line to opportunistic shot.

At Beta engineers faced also a armored force but this time supported by a large number of infantry. Three Kv1 were detected. Several ambushes were done, destroying a good number of enemy tanks. Company B finally reached the engineers and tried to cover their flanks, but enemy numbers were really huge.

At Gamma our outposts observed three T-34 tanks capturing the objective, after that they turned against Beta. Cpt. Samoila judged that if this force were able to join to the attack the defenders of Beta were to be overwhelm.

The At-guns reserve were moved to intercept the T-34 platoon. Also company C were ordered to advance to support B at Beta. Light trucks were used to speed up their movement transporting one section at time.

Enemy captured objective Alpha, many of our AT-guns were destroyed or abandoned due the enemy artillery fire. Stukas were ordered to attack the enemy armor but due the bad coordination missed their targets. With the Alpha objective under their control the enemy armor proceed against Beta, it was a big fail. They exposed their lateral to our remaining AT-guns (just two) with a fatal result, many T-26 and T-60 were killed. The main concern were the Kv1 that until that moment remained at the rear.

The fight at the Beta forest was difficult but not critical, one engineer platoon were suppressed, surrounded and destroyed. They were experienced men so it was a big loss for our battalion, another infantry platoon had the same luck. But in general our infantry was able to keep the ground, close assaulting tanks and ambushing infantry.

The T-34 platoon was intercepted by our AT-gun which led them approach and then fire at really short range, they were destroyed with almost no loses.

Viewing that Gamma was undefended and that the enemy was concentrated at Beta our recon force advanced and captured it without any fight.

Also company A was ordered to advance against Alpha, the small enemy force led to protect it was overwhelm and the objective captured.

Finally the remaining Kv1s arrived at the Beta forest, infantry was able to destroy them close assaulting. A last effort was done by the enemy at the south flank of Beta, a platoon of T-26 with some T-60 and infantry support tried to advance over the objective. After an initial success were refused.

At this point the enemy moral collapsed and the remaining troops flied (turn 24). The next minutes were a blood bath our force was launched in an avenger pursuit were many enemy units were destroyed.

Post Battle thoughts:

As always when enemy heavy armor appears all the efforts must be concentrated to destroy it, dam hard considering Romanian AT capacity, everything has to be abandoned until it is neutralized. Fortunately the initial plan was flexible enough to adapt to the new changes and finally I had one of the biggest victories of my battalion.

I did a bad use of my Air force, I tried to destroy the tanks using them but due the attack delay they never were at the attack hex, next time I will use them to attack enemy rear which have more static units.
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM

Private

15st Battle ( Defend - 55 turn - visibility 33 )

Battle Plan:

We were at a hilly area with some forest, some points over 90 high. We were ordered to defend a small valley surrounded by hills with narrow passages between them at north and a forest at south. There was a road from east to west at the top of the map.

There was just two objectives to protect, one next to the a north hill, and the other one at the south forest.

We had some time to prepare, so we laid a minefield belt protecting our front line and flanks, also some trenches were prepared at the north mountain in a reverse sloop position and at the front line. South flank was protected by the big forest.

Company A was deployed at the north, some sections at the hill trenches and the others at the north-east trenches. One AT battery was supporting them.

The front line was covered by the company B, also supported by one AT battery.

Finally an understrength company C plus engineers were deployed inside the forest.

Two AT-guns batteries were the reserve, plus one section of C company.

Go:

After few turns of battle it seemed like nothing had happened, just a small artillery fire exchange. Some mines explosions were listened at the road, north hill defenders took positions but no enemy was saw.

Suddenly our rear security element (mainly AAA guns, snipers and a few scouts) detected a section of T-34 tanks flanking our main force.

At same time the south defenders also reported that they had been flanked and now the enemy was at their rear, enemy had been able to capture some victory hexes even without fight.

Alarm voices were listened, a section of company A was ordered to hide into a small trees area and wait for the T-34, but there was a big concern, what could happen if the enemy tanks decided to attack our unprotected artillery ?

At the south forest after the initial surprise company C launched a small offensive which could recapture the objective and neutralize the enemy, fortunately there were just a few T-28 plus some desant teams.

Around all the mine belt area explosions were listened, our troops reported several smoke columns appearing.

The north T34 launched an assault versus the objective, our company A section was able to ambush them at the treeline successfully. But more tanks reached our rear, T-28 plus more T34. One artillery gun was lost.

At the north-east trench a big number of enemy troops supported by tanks tried to breach our defenses, our artillery was plotted over them.

Also some Kv1 were located heading the north hill, defenders were able to hold the line, but at their east flank our defenses fallen, a second line was set at small treeline.

A new attack was launched at our rear with the infiltrated tanks, an AT-gun was ordered to move to ambush them, meanwhile the AAA guns were going to try to win some time. The plan was successful but we lost the AAA crews.

After the defeat of the enemy flanking movement the battle turned in a mass assault against our defensive positions, we were able to old the line with the support of our artillery. At turn 44 the enemy withdraw.

Post Battle thoughts:

The battle started promising, soon I realized that my plan was flawed. I didn't deploy observation outpost at my flanks so I have been surprised by the intelligent AI pincer movement. But the AI wasn't intelligent enough to exploit its success, so after failing the battle turned in a boring mass assault vs my prepared positions with big losses of the IA.