.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old September 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: USSR vs Poland

USSR vs. Poland

Mission: Meeting Engagement, Poland, 9/1939 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Battalion Strength – 1 Armor Co, 2-3 Infantry Co, 1-2 Cavalry Trps, 1-2 Artillery Btry, plus ATG and AAA. Average force experience, ~65.

It is difficult to estimate the enemy force size as my core is only 1140 points and I have not used any support points.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Moderately wooded terrain with 50% of the map having trees and the other 50% composed of clear area, fields and tall grass. The wooded terrain is clustered, so there are solid areas of woods and areas of clear ground. There are a few small level 20 hills between the deployment zones. Two roads are available for use, but only one has any tactical advantages. One road enters from the east edge of the map and angles northwest until exiting the north edge of the map near the middle. The second road also starts on the east edge of the map, about 750m further south. It angles west northwest until it reaches the enemy deployment line about 1500m south of the northern edge. At that point, it turns due west until it exits the western edge. Visibility = 40.

Troops: Battalion Strength – 1 Armor Co. (7xM26 1939, 5xM26 M1931), 3 Infantry Co., 1 Support Co (3xHMG sec., 2x45mm ATGs, 2x82mm Mort. sec., 2xBA6 ACs, 2xScouts w/trans., 1xEng. Plt, 1xAAMG sec. and 2xSupply Trucks) Average force experience, ~50.

Here is some background information on my force selection. It is intended to be a rifle battalion as part of a mechanized brigade. It is very difficult to find any information related to the TO&E of a 1939 Soviet battalion, mechanized or otherwise. Given it is 1939, I opted to go without transport for my infantry companies for now. Later, I’ll add trucks, making them motorized and when Lend Lease is in full swing, I’ll upgrade to half-tracks. The support company is composed of units that would be available as assets to the next higher command (brigade). The same can be said of the armor company. A mechanized brigade has one light and three medium tank companies as part of it’s TO&E. In my core, the theory is one platoon of light tanks and two platoons of medium tanks (plus HQ) have been attached to my battalion.

Time: 50 Turns

Analysis

The roads will be of significant importance in this game, because 15 of 21 victory locations are within 300m of one road or the other. Three of the six victory locations not near the roads are in my position. The remaining three are located in the southwest quadrant of the map so can be targeted as a group.

In between the deployment zones are two small to medium level 20 hills. The northern hill (Hill 1) is located between the two roads and west of two unclaimed objectives. West and northwest of this hill is a fair sized open area which gives the hill strategic importance. It can be used to cover the two objectives after they are claimed. The northern road (North Road) can be used for high speed access to this hill.

The southern road (South Road) is critical since almost half of the victory locations are close to it. This makes the road important to both sides. Running along the road on the north side is a large wooded area (North Woods). The south side of the road is fairly open except for a line of trees along considerable length. Aside from occasional gaps in these trees, the only way to control the road is to be on the road or just adjacent to it. The road passes about 250m north of the southern hill (Hill 2)

As with Hill 1, there is a relatively clear area to the northwest of Hill 2. Unfortunately, trees along the road to the north and a small wooded area due west, limits the uses of Hill 2 to me tactically. There is a clear area to the southwest of the hill as well. It might make a decent observation post, however.

The small woods (West Woods) to the west of Hill 2 intrigue me more. In these woods or within 250m of them are three of the victory locations controlled by the enemy or likely to be controlled by them. Whoever controls these woods, will control those three objectives.

A large wooded area (South Woods) with a field in the center inspires modest interest because it provides a covered path for the enemy to approach a victory location I already control. Being wooded, it would be difficult for me to see the enemy approaching but it would also be difficult for the enemy to see my forces defending the victory location. A small force could probably hold off a larger force for a significant period of time. From these woods, I can cover my left flank.

One other consideration related to force composition is my infantry has no reliable integrated AT capability. All I have are two 45mm ATGs and seven T26 M1939 tanks. Those will have to be parceled out to various forces to give them some sort of AT capability. I do have some .50 cals on my light tanks and my AAMGs. These can kill Polish armor, but not reliably.

A final thought related to my force experience. I think they would have trouble with a bunch of kindergarteners hopped up on sugar, so I need to be able to put as many guns on target as possible. My force is likely to lose localized fire fights with an equal sized force. It is hard to picture the Polish force being the most experience troops in the battle, but that is a fact in this case. I should have numbers on my side, so I need to make them count.

Plan

Generally speaking, named areas fit into my plan in one way or another. This is the case here. I’m going to break my core up into four forces. The main objectives will be to capture Hill 1, the West Woods and the South Road and hold South Woods. I am also going to try to get eyes on Hill 2. Not critical, but it would be nice. Below are the four forces and their objectives:

Force 1: Hill 1 – one Infantry Company with ATGs and one HMG section attached, plus one truck.
Force 2: West Woods – one Infantry Company with one HMG section attached plus one truck.
Force 3: South Road – one Infantry Company with one medium and one light tank platoon and both BA6 armored cars attached
Force 4: South Woods – one engineer platoon supported by one medium tank platoon, one HMG section, one AAMG section and both scout patrols w/transport.

Force 1 will advance up the North Road, take and control Hill 1. Additionally, recon the North Woods between Hill 1 and the South Road to prevent the enemy from sliding units through. One truck is being provided from the mortar transport to carry the HMG section. Otherwise, the group will move way too slowly.

Force 2 will advance, on foot, along the northern fringe of the South Woods, over Hill 2 and into the West Woods. This advance will be slow, so Force 3 advancing down the road will need to remain in supporting range. A truck has been provided here as well to carry the HMG section.

Force 3 will advance down the South Road, staying in supporting range of Force 2. Ideally, they will be moving in advance of Force 2 where they can hopefully engage any enemy forces seen before Force 2 blunders into them. One AC will recon down the road while the main force moves up. The other AC will move up to Hill 2 to get eyes up until a leg unit can replace them.

Force 4 will advance through the South Woods with the ultimate objective of setting up an ambush with the fire sack being the central field. The recon elements will advance through the woods to provide advance notice of approaching enemy forces.

The HQ group will move along through the North Woods, parallel and to the rear of Force 3.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Plan.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	10417  
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Captain

Default Re: DAR: USSR vs Poland

Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire by either side. I didn't really expect any enemy artillery given the low point value of my force. The AI typically prep fires with off-board stuff and right now it is too pricy.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.

Turn 1

All friendly forces advancing according to plan.

Casualties

Turn 2

All friendly forces advancing according to plan.

Casualties

Last edited by RERomine; September 5th, 2010 at 02:01 AM..
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:52 AM

Captain

Turn 3

Truck mounted units of Force 1 on Hill 1. Sighted three enemy TKs of one type or another advancing down the South Road. Dismounted units from trucks. Since I can see the enemy, the enemy can see me and incoming artillery expected before long.

One enemy Vickers tank sighted in field northwest of Hill 2 by recon unit advancing down South Road. Captured one flag near road to try to draw enemy artillery in on an open field.

Other forces advancing as planned.

Casualties

Last edited by RERomine; September 5th, 2010 at 02:00 AM..
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:16 AM

Captain

Turn 4

More Force 1 units moving into position on and around Hill 1. One platoon held back in reserve.

Force 3 halted their advance down the South Road and took up positions to engage the advancing Polish TKs. I set the range of my tanks and AC to all fire at the same spot, which they did. Now, fast moving targets, targets that are small, my force experience of 50, yes, they all missed

Other AC on Hill 2 and nearly in position. Still only one Vickers tank in sight.

Forces 2 and 4 still moving to positions.

Casualties

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:38 AM

Captain

Turn 5

Positioning HMGs and ATGs on Hill 1. Set range to 1/2 on HMGs and 1/4 on ATGs. No sense firing with little chance to hit. Decided to position one infantry platoon in woods along North Road just north of Hill 1. Enemy mortars dropped smoke north of Hill 1, blinding the platoon that just positioned in the woods.
Another platoon moving up east slope of hill and not in position yet.

On South Road, Force 3 had better luck against the Polish tankettes this time. Scratch four. Moved my light tanks into the North Woods to clear the road for the infantry coming up from the rear. One medium tank is swinging around some trees south of the road to get a shot at the Vickers tank.

AC unit in position on Hill 2. HMGs in truck moving onto hill now. I'm going to temporarily position them covering the field southwest of the hill until the infantry arrives.

Force 4 MGs mostly in position. Set range to three to engage anyone who happens on too close, but don't want to trip the ambush too early. I used my tanks to help get them in position quicker. Dismounted leg scouts on the west side of South Woods. No enemy sited in this area.

Casualties

Enemy: 3xTKS and 1xTKS.m tankettes destroyed.
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM

Captain

Turn 6

Incoming mail on and around Hill 1. Seemed like four 75mm tubes of the on-board varity. Some fell about 200m forward of my ATGs, so I'll probably pull them back until the firing stops. The rest fell in a field east of the hill. Nothing in danger there. Moving two of the trucks into the North woods to pick up my mortars. They are moving forward too slowly.

Popped another TKS on the South Road and a sixth just showed up. Moving one infantry platoon south of the road to move into some woods near my lone tank in the area. Both that tank and the AC on Hill 2 engaged the Vickers tank. During my firing round, they punched four new viewing ports in it without getting a kill. Durin op-fire, the armored car on the hill finished it off.

HMGs dismounted on Hill 2. They will deploy in the rough on the hill until the infantry comes up.

Force 4 MGs in position. Moving my tanks into a conceiled position just west of the field. The scouts are on foot now, poking around. The engineers are sweeping through the woods around the field. One squad is moving through the woods south of the field and two squads are moving through the woods to the north.

So far, I haven't spotted any enemy infantry or cavalry. That has me a bit puzzled and concerned.

Casualties

Enemy: 1xTKS tankette and 1xVickers E Mk.A tank destroyed.
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:19 AM

Captain

Turn 7

More incoming mail on Hill 1, suppressing my ATGs, one HMG and the company HQ squad. No casualties, however. Still moving units into position, but the process has been slowed down. Confirmed artillery is on-board variety.

Punched a few holes in the TKS coming down the South Road. It just vanished, so I don't know if it retreated or moved out of sight. Three enemy infantry squads spotted in field north of Hill 2. They were engaged by lone tank, AC on Hill 2 and infantry platoon moving around woods. The enemy took some light casualties, but I need to get more fire power in the area. Sounds like a job for my light tanks.

Positioning my HMGs on Hill 2. Too bad they are on the wrong side of the hill to help against the enemy infantry. I might move them north if the enemy strength in that area increases. Force 2 is moving up to the east slope of Hill 2. They can help with the enemy infantry in the field.

Force 4 is pretty much in position. They were intended as a holding force, so I will just patrol around the area for a while. If nothing shows up, I will release the platoon of medium tanks for other duties.

At this point, I'm debating on whether or not to counter battery against the enemy 75mm guns or target the enemy infantry. I think I will go after the enemy guns since they are a stationary target.

Casualties

Enemy: 1xTKS tankette damaged and estimated 5 casualties.
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:38 AM

Captain

Turn 8

All quiet on Hill 1. Back to getting units into position.

Enemy in platoon strength in field north of Hill 2. Tucked my infantry behind the woods south of South Road and am moving my light tanks in. Engaged enemy with tanks and armored car, inflicting light casualties. The enemy is running none the less. Sighted three enemy tanks (FT-18 type) coming down road.

Turns out my HMGs on Hill 2 are perfectly positioned. Enemy in platoon strength sighted west of South Woods, heading east. Engaged with HMGs inflicting light casualties.

Enemy forces west of South Woods were sighted by one of my leg scouts. They were engaged by one of my little Kosmolets, inflicting light casualties. Moving my Force 4 medium tanks forward to engage.

Decide to counter battery fire against enemy 75mm guns. It will take a while for the rounds to start dropping.

Casualties

Enemy: Estimated 15 casualties.
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Captain

Turn 9

Enemy mortar fire fell west of Hill 1. Moving infantry to west slope of hill and still getting ATGs and HMGs in position.

Enemy appears to be present north and north west of Hill 2 in company strength. Pulled AC and lead tank back on road to position where they had infantry covering them north and south of road. Moved my infantry forward into the woods south of the road, drawing some fire from enemy units. One man down. Pushing another platoon forward north of the road. Calling in light mortar fire on enemy in field. Moved company HMG section into position where it could put fire into the field and continued moving light tanks into position. Engaged enemy with all units in position, inflicting light casualties again.

Still moving Force 2 infantry forward on Hill 2. Not in position to engage enemy yet. HMGs continued to fire on enemy west of South Woods. There is an unclaimed flag west of the South woods and about a platoon of enemy infantry is swining in that direct on the west side of the hill. They drew fire from my armored car on the hill and returned fire with integrated AT rifles. No damage.

Poked around a little more with my leg scouts. Enemy present in company strenth. Tanks moving forward. Moving additional Kosmolets forward as well. Putting as much fire on enemy as possible. In this area, all I need to do is hold the enemy.

Casualties

Friendly: One casualty.

Enemy: Estimated 5 casualties.
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:18 AM

Captain

Turn 10

Enemy mortar fire stopped after one turn. Units are in position now. Moving reserve platoon towards the North Woods to patrol for infiltrating enemy units.

Most enemy infantry units are running. I really haven't inflicted that many casuaties on them and don't recall them breaking this quickly when fighting the Germans. Out of six squads in and around the field, four are routed or retreating. We traded shots early in the turn with each side suffering a few casualties. Continued moving my infantry forward on the north side of the South Road and stubled on my missing TKS. It tucked itself in the woods just north of the road and stayed there. I'm moving a tank and AC up to finish it off.

Still moving Force 2 infantry forward. I knew they would be slow being completely on foot and without a road. They should be able to engage the enemy in a turn or two. Their HMGs continued firing at the enemy to the southwest, inflicting a few more casualties.

Enemy to the west of the South Woods seems broken as well. Out of five squads in sight, four are routed. I will continue to engage while targets present themselves.

Casualties

Friendly: Two casualty.

Enemy: Estimated 5 casualties.