Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old August 18th, 2016, 09:47 AM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road
Default Survivability and aircraft

As I understand it, the Survivability rating effects crew bailout from a killed vehicle. Aircraft (especially helicopters) seem to all have a 0 (zero), if this was increased would aircrews have a chance to survive a crash? Would this cause a core/aux problem in a campaign when damaged units are reconstituted if an off-board unit has a crew left on the map after the game?
I am mainly inquiring in regards to helicopter crews and passengers.
Old August 18th, 2016, 11:57 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Survivability and aircraft

Aircraft do not have crews - they crash in a ball of fire, no crew are ejected. So the survivability rating is not used for these.

Leave them at 0 (default) since that is how planes work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old August 18th, 2016, 05:07 PM

Corporal

Thanks, but RATS! i was hoping at least helicopter passengers might benefit. Well, I hope they have their insurance paid up.
Old August 18th, 2016, 10:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Aircraft do not have crews - they crash in a ball of fire, no crew are ejected. So the survivability rating is not used for these.
Indeed. Nor can you use helos to grab VHs, as yours truly vainly tried in Scen #22, "French Attack." Landed a Gazelle attack helo on one of those northeast objectives inaccessible to vehicles and pressed Shift-@. Got the "y-n" query but after responding in the affirmative nothing happened. How sad...
Old August 19th, 2016, 12:39 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Survivability and aircraft

There is a thread where some of us discussed this about helicopters in particular around 2 or 3 yrs. ago. Basically it was felt that as we can buy these units and add them to our "core" units that they should receive a crew survivorbility rating due to ejection seats in many modern AH types but most importantly do to mandatory training and qualification standards of helicopter pilots known as autorotation or autorotative flight. I would still like to see this for helos ONLY in the game. One can dream after all.

The basics of this procedure is discussed below...
http://www.dynamicflight.com/aerodynamics/autos/
http://www.dynamicflight.com/aerodyn...s/index2.shtml

The first ref at the bottom will allow you to go to page 2. Or just click on the 2nd ref. if you prefer.

Some videos...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWw5U3eCok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2iFVuu2XZ8
http://www.military.com/video/aircra.../1485820114001
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=VDFSRV
See the S-92 TRANSPORT ONE.

Regards,
Pat

FOUND IT IN THIS FORUM PAGE 5...

1 Attachment(s) Helicopter armor (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
sabresandy
04-15-14 09:57 AM
by Mobhack Go to last post

Brought up the auto rotation issue in Post #35. Last video above taken from that post.

Good to know my memory is slipping-yet!!

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; August 19th, 2016 at 01:01 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:11 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I cant see the need for crew survival, sure helos can autorotate & land safely if they have the altitude & terrain its like gliding a plane down thats lost power. Can be done a hurricane glided 3/4 the way across the English Channel & made it because he didnt want to take his chances landing in France.

Autoglide landing is probably not so simple if as is likely its not just the engine thats damaged which is probably why the likes of the Apache are built to survive a fairy high impact landing.

But what happens if you get it down in a hot zone my guess.

1) The enemy sees you go down & shoots or captures you before you can distance yourself from the crash.
2) You get out & hide, so zero effect on the battle, pilots are valuable commodities.
3) Much like a car crash you survive but are wounded, incapacitated & or trapped in the wreck.

Ejecting would be the same 3 would just be a bad landing.

If you want to think of a helo that retreats due to damage as one that managed to autorotate and land safely behind friendly lines.
Damaged planes that survive who knows if they made it back to base could have ejected just off map.
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:59 AM

Corporal

My main idea about this was helicopter passengers, I thought the game would just auto include crews. I thought it would introduce a random SAR aspect into the planning and background action of a random battle in addition to saving an asset during a campaign game.
Old August 20th, 2016, 11:52 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Survivability and aircraft

My point is no different with the helos than it is with tank/apc crews and passengers (Which is why I re-posted the video on the transport helo.) escape and evade/cause a little havoc behind enemy lines if enough troops survive or you just them to safty if close to or inside your own lines.

If you buy helos and make them part of your "core" units they will gain experience like every other unit, so the longer they or any other unit survives, the longer they'll generally stay in the fight down the road.

With this investment made like a tank etc. aren't you going to try and save the crew/or passengers so they can fight again for you?

Aircraft in this game for this topic is a non factor due to map sizes/operational requirements (Altitude and Speed etc.) and most importantly you can't make them a part of your "core" troops again, like you can with helos.

Military helicopter pilots train for this maneuver on a regular basis as a part of their re-cert as a minimum as do civilian ones.

It just boils down to...

1. Can it be done?

2. Is there the will to do it?

Auto rotate is no different than a "controlled crash" of a glider really about the same concept if you read the material I provided.

And one of the most famous of those happened at a place in France known as Pegasus Bridge and how important was that "controlled crash" to the allied cause? Our gliders of today are our transport helos.

Whether you love them or not, use them or not, reality is here and in the real world, they're here to stay. About 80%-85% I will buy them in some form to be a part of my "core' units depending on campaign opponent and location.

I'm not asking for anything fancy in graphics etc. but, for players like me that's willing to expend assets on them, maybe they deserve the same shot as every other vehicle in the game for crew and passengers.

Have to get ready for work, enjoy the rest of your weekends!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: